Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 503464 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2013, 05:31:00 pm »

blahbalbhalbh
Unfortunately, Operation Flashpoint didn't actually have that, to my knowledge.
Oh, it didn't? That's too bad, I could have sworn that one of BI's games did it... was it ARMA? I've never really played the singleplayer aspect of their games too much.

Yeah, the dialogue loops you see like that are referred to as 'but thou must' dialogues.

That reminds me, something that' irks me and it's not entirely limited to games: the love interest. I don't know what it is but it seems media wants to give the main character or a character a love interest of sorts, probably so that the player will feel emotional when something happens to said love interest. I can understand some things, such as a couple who are already married or have known each other for a while. However, when two people happen to meet do the extraordinary circumstances that usually occur in film and games really make these characters want to sexgasm each other?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2013, 05:51:51 pm »

Game series that expand in production value at the cost of overall quality. While the original Final Fantasy Tactics Advance's story was much shorter and involved fewer characters than FFTA2, it was much more sincere IMO. In a different way, it's the same for Metal Gear Solid's remake, The Twin Snakes. The action bits of the cutscenes are expanded, but the focus was originally on the characters and should have stayed there. Consider all the needless special-effects action movie guff in the remade version as compared to the original. (Beware of 16-year-old spoilers.)

Also, entirely subjective, but I thought the original voice actor for Grey Fox was much better.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2013, 06:48:08 pm »

*snip*
Oh, it didn't? That's too bad, I could have sworn that one of BI's games did it... was it ARMA? I've never really played the singleplayer aspect of their games too much.
I know that Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead both had this. I remember that in OA there was a helicopter mission that I failed by bailing out of a burning helicopter, the next mission allowed you to rescue the pilot.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:11 am »

Stupid tech tree
Tech tree where the only upgrades is an incremental improvement of some technology. 10% more damage on your laser weapons is not a thrilling prospect, especially if it's the only upgrade path for said lasers.
I've posted more extensively about this in the "games you wish existed" thread, but yeah, this is definitely one of mine too.  Probably the aspect of space 4x games (and to a lesser extent other 4x games) I'm disappointed with the most often.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:56 am »

Yeah, the dialogue loops you see like that are referred to as 'but thou must' dialogues.

That reminds me, something that' irks me and it's not entirely limited to games: the love interest. I don't know what it is but it seems media wants to give the main character or a character a love interest of sorts, probably so that the player will feel emotional when something happens to said love interest. I can understand some things, such as a couple who are already married or have known each other for a while. However, when two people happen to meet do the extraordinary circumstances that usually occur in film and games really make these characters want to sexgasm each other?

GTA IV did that, much to my chagrin. It unfortunately is the way that they push the story forward late in the game too, which was disappointing because I never really took part in the 'dating' aspect in the game, unless I got a gameplay bonus from it, so Niko's reaction to it was a bit confusing.

Sex scenes are another thing I don't understand being in video games. I don't play games to watch the characters have sex in a cut scene. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit did this, and it was one of the (albeit many) things that I disliked about that game. Interactive fiction just doesn't work, in my opinion.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2013, 04:18:14 am »

Stupid tech tree
Tech tree where the only upgrades is an incremental improvement of some technology. 10% more damage on your laser weapons is not a thrilling prospect, especially if it's the only upgrade path for said lasers. A proper tree should have hard decisions, like do I go for range over damage, efficient engines or fast ones etc.. Endless space probably have the lamest tech tree I have ever seen. Some of it come from the very simple combat mechanics, but the warfare part of the tree is absolutely pathetic.

And new technology should also be flavorful, not just statistics. The lame description in GalCiv for example where a big turn off.

Completely agree. I would personally also apply this to other games, not just RTS/TBS's too. 10% more damage, +5 armor or +2 damager are all practical, but boring and dont hold my interest in the least.

Damn, how I wish more games with magic would implement magic in a way that makes it more... "magical", rather than a mere tool to be used as a means to complete someones little errand. Same thing applies to technology.

Sex scenes are another thing I don't understand being in video games. I don't play games to watch the characters have sex in a cut scene. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit did this, and it was one of the (albeit many) things that I disliked about that game. Interactive fiction just doesn't work, in my opinion.

How about implied sex scenes? eg God Of War (I forget which one. I just really, really dislike those games overall) where instead of watching characters have sex, it is implied to you through sound effects. Oh yeah, hot-sounding-chick, I'll swivle that analog stick for you. Oh yeah, you do that implied sexual activity.

Blatent oversexualisation
Where women walk around in bikini-armor jiggling their disproportionately massive breasts and men are hulking monsters that have sex with everything and anything that moves.

Over masculinity
Because being a ripped, ultra-muscular marine just doesnt appeal to me in the least.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2013, 04:30:59 am »

How about implied sex scenes? eg God Of War (I forget which one. I just really, really dislike those games overall) where instead of watching characters have sex, it is implied to you through sound effects. Oh yeah, hot-sounding-chick, I'll swivle that analog stick for you. Oh yeah, you do that implied sexual activity.

Heh heh. I remember my first play through of Mass Effect 1. None of the characters had appealed to me that much when after some pivotal point in the game Ashley started talking to Shepherd offering her condolences. Next thing we woke up, it was the next morning and my bed apparently had had room for two.

"The Witcher" was a little like that as well but... in that case I can easily write it off since I'm playing as Gerald and he has a much more defined personality then Shepherd does.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2013, 07:26:37 am »

blahbalbhalbh
No, I'm pretty sure this was in Operation Flashpoint. I remember that mission, because all my squad did die and I just had to leg it while being chased by a column of T-72s.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2013, 07:48:26 am »

blahbalbhalbh
No, I'm pretty sure this was in Operation Flashpoint. I remember that mission, because all my squad did die and I just had to leg it while being chased by a column of T-72s.

Could it have been the Resistence Expansion? I believe they added a persistent campaign to that one.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2013, 07:49:25 am »

blahbalbhalbh

Could it have been the Resistence Expansion? I believe they added a persistent campaign to that one.
Nah, it didn't have a persistent campaign. I don't think... All I remember is that that mission was in Operation Flashpoint, my memory gets a bit hazy asking for any more.
ANYWAY, enough derail. :P
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2013, 11:55:47 pm »

Games with RPG elements where you have enough points to buy everything by the endgame, without any sidequesting or extra work. I mean... what's the point, then?
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2013, 12:26:57 am »

Games with RPG elements where you have enough points to buy everything by the endgame, without any sidequesting or extra work. I mean... what's the point, then?

Hmmm, that reminds me...

Working for stuff in a video game
I would expect that a video game is fun to play, rather than just there as something to allow you to "earn" things. When a game makes you work for something it emphasises the ends not the means (and the means can take a long time). Particularly in some games, where the primary focus is on earning things, rather than rewards being given out as a bit of icing on the cake.

Genre's whose names imply something different
How the title RPG implies you go around earning "points" and killing things, Survival-Horror games with a distinct lack of both survival and horror etc.

Points for everything
Strength points, health points, experience points, bah! On computers with 3ghz quad cores and everything is still broken down into a (very small) set of integer points. Ties in somewhat with blatent dice rolls and everything else I dislike about "traditional" RPG's on computers.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2013, 01:01:26 am »

Don't have time to read through this thread, got a new game today which I am about to play, but here are a few of mine.
(I've been playing Black Ops 2, and that's a game practically designed for a thread like this :P)

Dodgy collision detection etc.
Seriously, things like guns/body parts sticking through walls and people firing bullets out of their foreheads really makes for a painful shootin' game experience.

Killstreaks/Scorestreaks.
A COD invention! Yeah, let's grab the winning team, who are obviously already doing pretty freakin' well if they can get 6+ kills without dying, and give them some entirely OP support like helicopters and bombing runs! For a small-scale infantry battle!

Multiplayer games with instant respawn.
As much as I dislike waiting for a respawn timer to finish, a game spawning you without giving you a moment to recover, change your class etc is kinda worse. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:58 am »

Rewards that actually downgrade you
I was just thinking about this because I was playing Battlefront II recently, which doles out special weapons for certain tasks, usually getting X kills in Y amount of time. In some maps, there's a lot of open space where it can be really fun to play as the sniper. The sniper, IIRC, gets their special weapon after getting several headshots in one life.

The sniper's special weapon sucks. It has a bright purple beam that makes it even easier to see where shots are coming from in a game where everybody uses glowsticks for ammunition, and it has a drastically reduced range so that the beam just stops in midair before reaching your target. Because this weapon is forced upon me after getting so many headshots, I have to deliberately avoid getting headshots to remain anything resembling effective in large maps like Kashyyyk. It's no-win.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:41 am »

MMOs: making it difficult and unrewarding to group, particularly with friends

tldr version:

The reliance on quest completion for rewards, the separation and stark contrast between group and solo content rewards and difficulty, and the effect a significant level difference between group members has on difficulty and rewards, all combine to make playing most MMOs with a small group of friends a real pain, especially (but not exclusively) if they have significantly different gaming time available.

War & Peace version:

I find most MMOs, especially recent ones, it's quite difficult to do much in the way of grouping with the handful of friends I have, and when we do it's not terribly satisfying.  This is usually the result of a few different factors:

Most of the content leading up to level cap is designed around the solo player.  Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage the solo player and I like to solo myself.  The problem is this solo content will be mildly challenging for a solo player, but even adding one player to the mix and it's massive overkill, removing any semblance of danger or satisfaction.  It turns into a race to be the one to attack first, with the slower player never actually getting to fight anything.  Worse, many games don't have good systems for splitting xp and/or loot, such that if you run a given quest chain with a group of e.g. 3, you'll all have less xp and/or loot at the end of it than if you'd run it solo.

Corollary to that is that group content by contrast typically requires a full group and that said group comprise an optimal configuration of classes/roles, else it's doomed to fail.  So that 3 person group that's overkill for all the solo content probably isn't going to cope with the group content.  There's usually not a middle ground.

Secondly, modern MMOs tend to be very dependent on quest chains.  These quest chains usually require that you've completed previous quests to get the next one - so better not skip/miss any or you're going to have to go back and do stuff you've outlevelled and aren't really getting either a challenge or a reward for.  They also tend to require that in a group you are currently on the active quest to qualify for the xp/loot reward at the end - and modern MMOs tend to *heavily* favour quest completion as a source of xp/loot (presumably to discourage farming/powerleveling). 

The problem with this aspect is that if you're playing with a group of, say, 4 friends, the chances are you're not all going to always be playing at the same time.  As a result, quite quickly you end up at different levels than your friends, and at different points in the various quest chains.  The friend that's playing the most then has to choose between playing with the rest of you and not getting any real rewards/progression (because they've already done those quests) and having to go solo to run the quests you're not ready for.  Meanwhile the friend that can only afford to play occasionally quickly lags behind and while you can maybe carry him/her along with your group, they're not going to get much actual progression because they're not eligible to take those quests yet (and so don't get completion rewards for them).

Finally, tied somewhat to the second issue is that in addition to being at different stages of the quests/content, a difference in level will quickly develop.  If one player has leveled a way ahead of the group, the rest of the group are too low to join him/her on his/her quests, but if he/she tries to run with the group on their quests it'll remove any semblance of challenge due to the level difference (i.e. bringing a level 30 along with a level 15 group on level 15 content).  Indeed, depending how xp is calculated, having that higher level player along may well kill xp/loot for the entire group.

The solution to this is scaling content - have the strength and/or number of enemies scale to the number of people in a group (admittedly this is easier to do with instanced content than open world, but you can do it to an extent with open world).  Generally ARPGs have managed this, but only a small number of MMOs seem to even attempt it.  Furthermore, you need some system to scale a player's level to the content they're doing (either scaling the entire group to the zone they're in, or having the group scale to the group leader's level) so a high level player can go back and do low level content (and still get both a challenge and rewards) and a low level can do high level content (ditto).  There's a few more games that do this to some extent, but still not enough.  Very few seem to do both.

Basically I really miss City of Heroes  :P :(  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 324