Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Toying around with organization  (Read 41643 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Toying around with organization
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:25:50 pm »

I added a few child boards for specific people recently, and a general mod release board was suggested.  I did that, moved some things, and then I wasn't really sure what to do with graphics sets and utilities.  Common enough to merit their own boards?  I'd like people to be able to find the things they are looking for without being too cluttered anywhere.  Suggestions are welcome.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Toying around with organization
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:16 pm »

Does this void the modding questions thread? Because now it would make question threads more... acceptable? I mean that in, they don't 'spam' the board anymore, as I would think the general DF Modding board would be suited for questions, and releases in the releases section. Nevertheless, I like the change! :D
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:22 pm »

I want to leave it up to you all, since I don't have a feel for it, but I imagine that thread could work like the "little questions" threads found elsewhere, and something that needs more discussion can get its own threads.  But yeah, generally it would let more discussion spread out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:46:56 pm »

Thanks Toady.  Having some more sub-boards will be nice.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:49:31 am »

I like the idea of having release notices of utilities in its own child board.  Utilities tend to work across most mods, but they also tend to update less frequently so it'd be easy for them to be buried in the general mod release child board.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:26:25 am »

I like the idea as well of a few subforums for certain types of mods. How about a subforum for graphics mods?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:16:59 am »

Thank you for the subforums, this will leave space in the main one for discussion and questions.

I think graphic sets and utilities should have their own subforum, along with prepackaged sets like the LNP. New players often seek those and this will make their research easier.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:26:19 am »

I'd say that utilities (including tile and graphic sets) is the most important group of mods to get a dedicated forum.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:04 am »

Yeah, one more for DFHack, its plugins, LNP, graphics enhancers, external programs and other crap would be pretty good. Those have become kind of institutions around here.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 11:50:35 am »

I guess we do kind of already have this in the form of the "communities mods and utilities list" sticky. But yeah, a utilities/graphic pack child forum would be great.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 01:34:00 pm »

Thanks!

I do believe that Utilities (DFhack and similiar) and Tilesets (Ironhand, Phoebus...) both deserve their own child boards.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »

Thanks!

I do believe that Utilities (DFhack and similiar) and Tilesets (Ironhand, Phoebus...) both deserve their own child boards.

I'm for what ggamer said,

DF 3rd Party Utilites
DF Tilesets and Graphic packs
child boards.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:21:55 pm »

Yes, this ^.

Please and Thank You.

It's easy enough when you've got some favorites/freinds you've been following following for a long time and/or contributing to.  But this would be very handy for the early players.  I wholeheartedly support any actions that make getting into the game more accessible.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »

I was really hoping this was going to be a discussion about the organization of data in the raw files. It's patchwork, haphazard organization is utterly maddening.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »

I was really hoping this was going to be a discussion about the organization of data in the raw files. It's patchwork, haphazard organization is utterly maddening.
Well why don't you do something about it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7