Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526246 times)

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #735 on: June 21, 2014, 12:29:02 pm »

So, just how hard is  it to get into this? Me and a friend were looking to expand our 4x/Grand Strategy library after playing Fall From Heaven and several other games a few times. But we're unsure if we can get into playing  this with just how much  depth there is behind it, or if we're going to be stuck learning even how to play he game at its basics  for weeks on end.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 21, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »

I think Dominions is easy to get into (compared to something like DF) but difficult to master well enough to succeed in multiplayer.

You can start by playing multiplayer with your friend. It's a good way to learn since IMO multiplayer is the main focus of the game. Some people do play exclusively single player but I don't really get that since the AI can't even scratch the surface of the games strategic depth.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 21, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »

So, just how hard is  it to get into this? Me and a friend were looking to expand our 4x/Grand Strategy library after playing Fall From Heaven and several other games a few times. But we're unsure if we can get into playing  this with just how much  depth there is behind it, or if we're going to be stuck learning even how to play he game at its basics  for weeks on end.
There's a decent amount of depths and a ton of stuff to find out. I wouldn't say the game is difficult to get into, and the manual has a tutorial that it walks you through if you need it. It helps you get around the big barrier to playing the game, which is designing a god.

Once you're past that, I think there's a big chunk of exploring options. My advice is take it slow. This is a game you can play until you burn out on if you do decide to pick it up.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 21, 2014, 02:13:15 pm »

There is a free demo for Dom 3. You could try that, I don't think one for Dom 4 is out yet.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 21, 2014, 02:25:10 pm »

It's not too difficult to pick up. There's plenty of stuff that's quite different depending on whether you play MP or SP. That combined with the generally slow pace of MP means that practicing good ways to play mid- and especially late game can be difficult. I've found the AI to be perfectly reasonable to hone my early game skills, and to a lesser extent some early midgame strategies as well. I'm still in the stage where lategame against people is a real enigma to me. Doesn't really matter, I'm having fun finding out and dying horribly in the process.

There's usually a newbie game running in one place or another in the wide web so you can get your feet wet without getting you ass kicked by a seasoned veteran. There's a special team mode called "disciples" so you can play in a 2-player team with your friend against other people in a 2v2 (v2v2v2) format. Of if you're more of a SP/coop players, you can do a 2v10 against AIs for some horde smashing.

There are a few community made guides and tutorials for pretender creation and other things. I think they do a decent job at helping people get started.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 21, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »

Heh. Point of minor correction: Disciples teams can be... arbitrarily large, so far as I'm aware. Not just two folks. You could have a 6v6 match or something along those lines fairly easily. The B12 one is currently rocking 4x3 -- four teams of three players. Definitely a very different sort of beast.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 21, 2014, 03:30:58 pm »

It'd be interesting to try a game with asymmetrical teams -- not necessarily that each player is designated a steam per se, but that there'd be multiple wholes competing for victory. Like 3vs2vs2vs2 or anything like that. You could tie interesting scenario rules to such things, like with that one Something Awful LP with the Good nations and the Evil nations all competing with each other while trying to achieve a Good or Evil victory. I'd like something like that. Could be hard if discipleless pretenders can't have Prophets.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 21, 2014, 04:19:51 pm »

If a nation is on a team of one/not on a team in a disciple game, they can have a prophet. They can't choose a low-dom pretender, but otherwise they play like a normal nation.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 23, 2014, 08:00:21 am »

We're looking to replace a player in 4.06, and it's Yomi. It's Yomi in an early war. The bad thing is that it's very difficult, at least theoretically (who knows what Yomi has hidden in their cap), the good thing is that if it goes horribly wrong, it won't last too long.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:04 am »

The same player is Marignon in 4.07, and it's still pretty early on, if anyone wants to step up.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:34 am »

I could take that one. MA Marignon is cool. The games I'm in are much too slow for a vagrant, jobless slob such as I am.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:38 pm »

Patch is out.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 25, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »

Caelum nations have got some new/altered units, equipment, descriptions and sites
Ice Crafting for MA Caelum
Ice Lances have charge ability
Many new Pretenders for Caelum and Abysia
New Summons for Caelum/Ragha
New national spells for Caelum/Ragha

Excellent... *rubs hands with glee*

Of course the Dom 4 Inspector doesn't have the new patch yet, so I can't see the new nation or any of the Caelum changes yet, but the Ice Lancers having charge fills me with glee. It should give the Caelum infantry a good punch in combat and help in expansion.

EDIT: I just remembered that the charge ability is based off of AP, and Caelum's units have absolutely terrible AP. Like, 9 at most Except for MA's Wingless and 4~9 encumbrance to boot. So charge on the lances aren't going to help too much. Unless the unit tweaks affected AP/Encumbrance of course.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:23:07 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:37 pm »

Quote from: Changelog
Fliers get size*2 as charge damage if it exceeds the old AP/3

So twice as good for an AP9 birdie.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 25, 2014, 08:30:45 pm »

Ah. I didn't catch that. And 9 AP is the maximum. I'm pretty sure that some of them go lower than that. And now to create a nation of size-6 fliers for maximum justice.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 236