Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500453 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2013, 06:16:54 pm »

Yeah... there is a serious problem called segmentation faults here though, which I gleefully forgot about earlier. So I'm not sure exactly what can be done yet. Making bogeymen 9x faster (?) works, but making night creatures 10x larger doesn't. Making demon fireballs firejets works, but making their firejets fireballs doesn't. It needs exploration and experimenting to see what you can do. Basically can safely remove tags, add shorter or equally long tags in their place, but not replace with longer tags which is very inconvenient. Can easily point to new body and bodygloss raw, but pointing them to new bodyparts is limitedly useful as you could just as well edit the body_rcp file. Except here where we don't have one. But with some cleverness and time to think about it, I'm sure you can use this to change things more than I can think of now.

Here's (most of?) what you can modify for forgotten beasts, I think. Actually no, there's way more than I have here especially descriptions, but this is something. I'm not sure which RCPs are used to make f. beasts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's more you could do by using other things, but there's such a thing as going too far.

Anyway, I think we should delve into this when the world is at that point if it ever gets there. No point altering forgotten beast raws when there aren't even enemy civs or fish in the sea. It's not very useful for the average mod.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2013, 06:32:21 pm »

It is still more than we knew before, and while it may not be useful for the 'average' mod, for things like Masterwork and Fallout, this could be something of significance.

That is true that we should wait, but we now know it can be done.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »

Speaking of fish in the sea you just reminded me of something I need to do....

Also, think you could have someone start a player turn up right now with just your stuff Halfling?

I just got an image of UristMcHalfling going "don't worry kid, theres plenty more fish in the sea!" "the fuck are you talking about Urist? Everyone knows nothing exists in the sea."

Yeah its retarded but it made me chuckle a bit :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:36:31 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2013, 06:59:02 pm »

Speaking of fish in the sea you just reminded me of something I need to do....

Also, think you could have someone start a player turn up right now with just your stuff Halfling?

I just got an image of UristMcHalfling going "don't worry kid, theres plenty more fish in the sea!" "the fuck are you talking about Urist? Everyone knows nothing exists in the sea."

Yeah its retarded but it made me chuckle a bit :P

Yeah... I asked earlier if laula or Krevsin want to play, didn't get reply yet.

My universe is so minimal I don't feel like drafting anyone tbh, since all you can do is mine rock and grow pumpkins and wait to get slaughtered by a beast. If nobody wants to show off their halfling storytelling, then I'll tell you a story in a couple of days.

The seas are barren... actually this world is a horrible place now unless you like pumpkin and dogs and literally only pumpkin and dogs, as there's barely anything else.

Even the creation myth reads like a horror story. Unlike in some myths, here God was definitely not a natural craftsman. After creating the stars and the earth, god brought forth the first of all creatures on a plain of rock, in a temple where magma and water meet. The first of the firstborn, the halflings Adam and Eve, instantly conflagrated and burned with inner heat while trying to kill each other out of mercy. So god declared living creatures should not have a higher inner temperature than it takes to melt their flesh. Next verse, god decides the spine and the skull are to be inside a halfling's body and not on the surface, and that clothing is to be worn on the skin and not on the skeleton. Later still, trying to create hair, the creator makes everyone grow hair as thick as their bones all over their bodies, that's in all the colors of the rainbow in patches. Next verse details the creation of the "face" in the front of the head to be home to various formerly randomly scattered body parts. Then god possesses one halfling to murder a hundred in order to test whether their skulls are sufficiently thick. And it's just downhill from there on when the combat prowess of all the rest of creation is measured by how many halflings they can kill. That's why leading halfling academicians craft and bury elaborate fossils in the earth to later uncover and theorize on - to protect everyone from having to know the horrible truth of the world.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2013, 07:14:08 pm »

I just figured out how extremely large the dragons portion will be.  50 biomes + hell = 51 * 2 for male and female variants = 102 different castes (unless some are merged, which I think I will try to do) because I want to put them all under one creature, just because it seems interesting.

Oh wait, I forgot to multiply by three to get the three horn variants, then times two to include visibly fanged and 'fangless'.  612.  *gulp* please tell me that creature variants will help me reduce it back to 102.

Edit: I was wrong.  I forgot to include hornless, which makes it 816...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:19:48 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2013, 07:30:23 pm »

816 types of dragon? I don't even know what to say to that :P

They'll need to be 51 separate creatures, as castes can't be given different biomes (says wiki). Then it should be relatively easy... just build a basic hornless, toothless dragon body and separate dragon horn and tooth parts. Makes it very easy to make the different castes by using or not using the tooth and horn. Once you've defined one you'll probably want to use COPY_TAGS_FROM and creature variations to make the rest (look up animal men in vanilla). Don't know more about that, never used the former tag much. Things like colors can be applied by creature variations too, look at the halfling raws for that.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2013, 07:38:16 pm »

816 types of dragon? I don't even know what to say to that :P

They'll need to be 51 separate creatures, as castes can't be given different biomes (says wiki). Then it should be relatively easy... just build a basic hornless, toothless dragon body and separate dragon horn and tooth parts. Makes it very easy to make the different castes by using or not using the tooth and horn. Once you've defined one you'll probably want to use COPY_TAGS_FROM and creature variations to make the rest (look up animal men in vanilla). Don't know more about that, never used the former tag much. Things like colors can be applied by creature variations too, look at the halfling raws for that.

Gotta tame 'em all.   :P

After I finish the rest of my addition, I might come back to them, in order to create variates.  Since the naming is going to be along the lines of "{Insert_Name}'s dragons" after their 'discoverer', then we have 51 slots for 'dwarfings'.

Edit: By the way, why is there a question mark next to my name on the 'turn' list?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2013, 07:43:21 pm »

Edit: By the way, why is there a question mark next to my name on the 'turn' list?

Waiting for DarkDXZ, he wasn't clear on what he wants to do. If he takes a modding turn he'll go before you due to asking first.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2013, 08:18:25 pm »

Even the creation myth reads like a horror story. Unlike in some myths, here God was definitely not a natural craftsman. After creating the stars and the earth, god brought forth the first of all creatures on a plain of rock, in a temple where magma and water meet. The first of the firstborn, the halflings Adam and Eve, instantly conflagrated and burned with inner heat while trying to kill each other out of mercy. So god declared living creatures should not have a higher inner temperature than it takes to melt their flesh. Next verse, god decides the spine and the skull are to be inside a halfling's body and not on the surface, and that clothing is to be worn on the skin and not on the skeleton. Later still, trying to create hair, the creator makes everyone grow hair as thick as their bones all over their bodies, that's in all the colors of the rainbow in patches. Next verse details the creation of the "face" in the front of the head to be home to various formerly randomly scattered body parts. Then god possesses one halfling to murder a hundred in order to test whether their skulls are sufficiently thick. And it's just downhill from there on when the combat prowess of all the rest of creation is measured by how many halflings they can kill. That's why leading halfling academicians craft and bury elaborate fossils in the earth to later uncover and theorize on - to protect everyone from having to know the horrible truth of the world.

I lol'd
I literally laughed out loud.....it reverberated through the house.
Seriously, that was fucking gold.

Also do you watch DBZ Abridged?
Because I just thought of how they rate power levels by how many Raditz (a very weak character) each person is worth :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:20:06 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »

Well, by combining biomes (and ignoring ones that didn't make sense) I managed to reduce it from 51, to 17.  So it is now at 272, 1/3 what was formerly there.  Huzzah!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2013, 08:37:26 pm »

Well, by combining biomes (and ignoring ones that didn't make sense) I managed to reduce it from 51, to 17.  So it is now at 272, 1/3 what was formerly there.  Huzzah!

That is still a, and I must emphasize here, ENTIRE UNHOLY SHITBUCKET OF DRAGONS

But anyway, I've been working on making bodies for the creatures I'm working on, here are the current results:

Code: [Select]
body_bfel

[OBJECT:BODY]

[BODY:SEA_ANGEL]
[BP:UB:upper body:upper bodies][UPPERBODY][HEAD][THOUGHT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:2000]
[BP:LB:lower body:lower bodies][CON:UB][LOWERBODY]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]
[BP:RW:right wing:STP][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][RIGHT][FLIER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:750]
[BP:LW:left wing:STP][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LEFT][FLIER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:750]
[BP:ORG:organ bundle:STP][CON:UB][INTERNAL][GUTS][BREATHE][UNDER_PRESSURE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:500]
[BP:TL:tail:STP][CON:LB][GRASP]

[BODY:CLAYMAN]
[BP:UB:upper body:upper bodies][UPPERBODY][CONNECTOR][NERVOUS]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:3000]
[BP:LB:lower body:lower bodies][LOWERBODY]

[BODY:CLAYMAN_LIMBS]
[BP:RA:right arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][SOCKET]
[BP:LA:left arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][SOCKET]
[BP:RH:right hand:STP][CON:RA][GRASP][RIGHT][SOCKET]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
[BP:LH:left hand:STP][CON:LA][GRASP][LEFT][SOCKET]
[BP:RL:right leg:STP][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][SOCKET]
[BP:LL:left leg:STP][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][SOCKET]
[BP:RF:right foot:right feet][CON:RL][STANCE][RIGHT][SOCKET]
[BP:LF:left foot:left feet][CON:LL][STANCE][LEFT][SOCKET]

[BODY:TREELORD]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:39:57 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2013, 12:17:11 am »

wait we have malards hounds and halfling's elves and somthing else and your adding 51 dragons roughly 9/10 species will be dragons... this sounds safe

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:54 am »

wait we have malards hounds and halfling's elves and somthing else and your adding 51 dragons roughly 9/10 species will be dragons... this sounds safe

Well, these dragons wind up at a maximum size of [BODY_SIZE:120:0:92500] and have [MAXAGE:100:120], but also have [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM],[CURIOUSBEAST_EATER],[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1],[ADOPTS_OWNER] (uses [PET] instead of [PET_EXOTIC]), and [MISCHIEVOUS]

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2013, 01:56:46 am »

Did nobody else notice the presence of a stone with both [AQUIFER] and [UNDIGGABLE]? Good lord... that's frightening.

Ahem, if nobody else wants to take the first turn, I'll do it. This first version of the world is actually pretty cool, I like it as a way to slowly introduce a new person to DF. Give them halflings instead of dwarves, it's a nice, controlled, less lethal way to introduce them to concepts. Then drop the vanilla game on them and watch them shit bricks.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2013, 02:02:32 am »

Holy crap how did I miss this!? May I have a modding turn, please?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 261