Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500408 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2415 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:34 am »

Alright, list is up on the shout wiki.  I believe I got them all.  You are right, we currently have no fish.  Also have no amphibians and a distinct lack of crustaceans.  Pretty sure the most common creature type is arthropod or cehpalopod.

There are some amphibious and ocean-dwelling dragon species...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:24 am »

But they're not froggy dragons, are they?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: September 25, 2013, 11:18:18 am »

But they're not froggy dragons, are they?

They are if you want to visualize them that way...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: September 25, 2013, 11:32:51 am »

Is there any way to get a table or spreadsheet on the Shoutwiki?

EDIT: Oh, and about that world. All of the Storm Dragons had lengthy rampages but were struck down by treelords, except for one, who was killed by an Adherent. There's a 7,000+ year old tiger named "Savage" wandering the depths of the earth :D Also, there was a nautilus that wandered the depths of the earth and went on a rampage before dying of old age in 18 (?)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:52:00 am by HugoLuman »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: September 25, 2013, 12:10:01 pm »

Both are possible.

See the documentation at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents (ctrl+f e.g. table) -- linked on shoutwiki front page in the instructions collapsible.

Found a previously unlisted creature class, [CREATURE_CLASS:VERTABRATE]. Currently this includes all ZtG's dragons, as well as lizardmen and dragonkin. They are targeted separately from class VERTEBRATE as is.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: September 25, 2013, 02:18:38 pm »

Awesome thread, posting to watch. Actually, scratch that, can I sign up for a modding turn? It's been a while since I've done any DF modding, but I should be able to handle it.

Ps. Has anyone considered putting the raws in a git repo and publishing it on GitHub? Seems like that would be the appropriate tool for collaborative development. Of course, the down side is that you'd need to learn how to use git, but that's not really so hard as long as you stick to the basics (and preferably use a GUI front-end).

Also, Halfling, I hope you don't mind that I sigged one of your posts from downthread. :)
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: September 25, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »

I think that one of every creature is made a FB at start for things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: September 25, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »

Awesome thread, posting to watch. Actually, scratch that, can I sign up for a modding turn? It's been a while since I've done any DF modding, but I should be able to handle it.

Ps. Has anyone considered putting the raws in a git repo and publishing it on GitHub? Seems like that would be the appropriate tool for collaborative development. Of course, the down side is that you'd need to learn how to use git, but that's not really so hard as long as you stick to the basics (and preferably use a GUI front-end).

Also, Halfling, I hope you don't mind that I sigged one of your posts from downthread. :)

I'll add you and of course I don't. :P Welcome!

I briefly considered collaborative development tools, but the short of it is, we already have trouble with keeping the mods working and having people use ZIP instead of RAR. And we don't have that many people participating, and especially few who would like to put in concentrated effort long term. This is easier, requires little extra effort, importantly more visible, attracting players from without our small circle to try the stuff out, and therefore the better course... maybe? It's also important there's one version to test at a time because testing comes slower than the new ideas.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: September 25, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

Good points there.
Highly Opinionated Fool

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: September 25, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »

...and having people use ZIP instead of RAR.

Which reminds me.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7984

It's now a .zip

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: September 25, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »

Woo!
Highly Opinionated Fool

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: September 25, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »

I briefly considered collaborative development tools, but the short of it is, we already have trouble with keeping the mods working and having people use ZIP instead of RAR. And we don't have that many people participating, and especially few who would like to put in concentrated effort long term. This is easier, requires little extra effort, importantly more visible, attracting players from without our small circle to try the stuff out, and therefore the better course... maybe? It's also important there's one version to test at a time because testing comes slower than the new ideas.

Actually, I thought of GitHub precisely because the current system seems to be generating so many separate versions with different fixes and features in each. Merging fixes from many sources together is what DVCSes like git are good for, and having a single official GitHub repository would make it easy to tell what the latest official version is at any given time.

You do have a point about the learning curve, though. I suppose, even if we did have a GitHub repo (and I just might set up an unofficial one anyway, just for personal use if nothing else), those who didn't want to use git could still contribute the traditional way, by sending their raws to someone designated as a repo maintainer. (And yeah, I guess by saying that I'm kind of volunteering to do that job, if you feel you're too busy for it. Although I should note that, so far, there isn't even any repo to maintain yet.)
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: September 25, 2013, 05:36:07 pm »

Do we have any layer materials capable of containing Aquifers at this point? Aquifers are rather critical to some fortress designs, though they may often be annoying for others.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: September 25, 2013, 05:42:56 pm »

Okay, megabeasts:

Elements of order go down to 10 halflings with lunanium weapons and steel shields or 1 element of balance with a lunanium weapon. They also lose to elements of fire.

Elements of fire go down to anything that can get to them. They're only 1.5 times the size of a halfling and they bleed all over the place when hit. However, they tend to kill things easily. Elements of order are far too slow to get to them.

Elements of Balance are terrifying. They take the appearance of halflings (same size, no castes, no gender), but their fighting skills and strength are completely off the charts compared to halflings. Elements of balance are my attempt to make an extremely difficult megabeast that:

1. Is the same size as the local humanoid playable (40000 in this case)
2. Has no different offense interactions than said humanoid race (due to the method I used to make them, they can throw rocks, same with giants, can't do anything about it)
3. Doesn't have anything that makes them truly invincible (like general material force multiplier that makes them immune to every material or something).

I'd say I succeeded. I pitted a giant against an Element of Balance and it died within 500 ticks. The element of balance roundhouse kicked the giant in the neck until it died.

EDIT: Okay, a good few minutes of letting a bunch of halflings wail on me shows that elements of balance are nearly impossible to it. I should tone them down in that regard.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: September 25, 2013, 05:47:09 pm »

So, we have an elemental that's actually a supersoldier kung-fu halfling? Seems kind of odd to call it an elemental. Perhaps Avatar or Servant?

Didn't we also make some kind of horseman lava elemental?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 261