Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500771 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2445 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:50 pm »

There's a lot of this:

Code: [Select]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_BODYSIZE_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_HEAD_HAIR_HLG]

with no [APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION] around. In my experience, that usually crashes the game, so it's kind of odd that it doesn't seem to have too many adverse affects here.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: September 26, 2013, 03:11:41 pm »

Wait, what does [APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION] actually even do? ???  I mean, besides demonstrating that my modding skills are way rustier than I thought...
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:05 pm »

APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION loads the creature variation; APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION actually puts it into the creature.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: September 26, 2013, 03:19:21 pm »

Well, the variations seem to be applied in the creature perfectly fine as it stands. From the text of it, [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:blahblah] sounds like it both identifies and applies the variation to the creature, which would make APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION a bit redundant. Maybe it's a relic, like UNDERSWIM?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »

Strange, since, again, my experience with having APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION with no APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION causes crashing.

Besides, there are very good reasons to have the two separate tokens:

Code: [Select]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:HALFLING_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:SPECIALBEAST_VARIATION_PUTNAM]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:MALE]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:FEMALE]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:CREATURE_CLASS]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:NATURAL_SKILL]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:CASTE]
[CV_CONVERT_TAG]
[CVCT_MASTER:ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER]
[CVCT_TARGET:300]
[CVCT_REPLACEMENT:5000]
[CVCT_TARGET:600]
[CVCT_REPLACEMENT:10000]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]

Here, I copy from HALFLING_HLG, load SPECIALBEAST_VARIATION_PUTNAM, then I add a few things to SPECIALBEAST_VARIATION_PUTNAM that relate specifically to elements of balance. If APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION were a relic, that wouldn't work, but it does.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: September 26, 2013, 04:21:08 pm »

Huh. Maybe that's it's function then  :-\

I'm not going to question it too deeply. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the adage goes.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: September 26, 2013, 09:28:47 pm »

Since this appears to work, I didn't question it either. APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION should read LOAD_CREATURE_VARIATION if it only works for reading data from other raws and not applying it to the creature. However... if you feel like this should be fixed for security, go right ahead. :P

@Hugo: strand extraction is used to extract celestium strands, but that's irrelevant as they still won't do it.

The social skills idea is interesting, but is it enough? Mamaphints can be so common, and I'd like them to not become mayors too often. It's funny if it happens sometimes, like once a thousand games, "this elephant is so great (not that he can speak) that we decided to make him our mayor", but if it has a significant chance of happening it's just stupid. Also it removes the whole mayors make mandates yet are needed to run your village thing. And if there's more intelligent pets coming, they all need the fix so politics doesn't look like a zoo where it's occasionally a bear that's the mayor and occasionally some kind of smart octopus or killer whale with legs.

At least for halflings, the mayoral position could very well have
[ALLOWED_CREATURE:HALFLING_HLG:FEMALE][ALLOWED_CREATURE:HALFLING_HLG:MALE]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: September 26, 2013, 11:09:05 pm »

I've had several Mamaphints for years in Oceanbrave, and not one of them has been elected mayor. I think the job either goes to whoever has the most friends, or whoever has highest in certain skills. If you prevent Mamaphints from raising those skills, it stands a good chance of either directly preventing their mayorship or at least stopping them from making so many friends.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:31 pm »

To make a conclusion of whether it happens 1/1000 (acceptable) or 5/100 (unacceptable) we'd need a hundred forts' data. As it is it's theory.

Oh hey. Do they show up on halflings' list of friends? Do they get thoughts about losing friends when those dies? Because that's really... another thing. Do they qualify as sapients for ethics?

Seriously I think this is WAY too much trouble for what sackhead wanted as an easter egg: that a mamaphint could wrestle an enemy's weapon away with its trunk and then learn to use it. That would have been achievable with just natural skill in wrestling and natural skill in all weapons.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: September 26, 2013, 11:42:02 pm »

Natural skill in all weapons would have other unfortunate effects. Just make them unable to learn any social skills, and they will NEVER become mayor.

They don't have a "friends" list or bad thoughts, but they do show up in others friends lists (indicating how many they have) and citizens do get "lost a friend" thoughts when they die. This is going of Tigermen, but it works the same.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: September 26, 2013, 11:45:22 pm »

Which other effects? It's also dumb you could get tantrums from losing mamaphints but not so much from pets.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: September 26, 2013, 11:57:25 pm »

Not that dumb, since they're mentally equivalent to the citizens (but can't do jobs without DFhack). Remember, they will make very few friends without social skills, and Mamaphints are hard to lose.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: September 27, 2013, 12:04:14 am »

Yeah but I'm not sure mamaphints being sapients that make friends and people refuse to butcher was intended and not accident

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: September 27, 2013, 01:08:52 am »

It should be intended, at least. It's no different to the Beastmen pets the elves occasionally bring - fully sentient, but don't do any jobs due to how df works, so they laze around making friends slowly. Expect any long-term fortress to have a mamas hint mayor.

It isn't that ridiculous - one local council was defeated in the elections... By a pet cat.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: September 27, 2013, 06:08:37 am »

Oh come on. These aren't mamaphint men. They shouldn't be people-level intelligent any more than anything else. I mean you could argue hounds should be intelligent, as in have civilian professions and be eligible in elections, then, because they can learn tricks and form relationships. And even the mamaphint description says you're supposed to eat them, not make them your mayor.

I'll just PM sackhead about this.

If we don't get a response in time, before you upload Putnam, suggest push: social skills fix (mamaphint aptitudes for social skills minimal or overflown to negative if possible) and halfling mayoral position limited to halflings only. Other races can still have inevitable mamaphint nobles such as as a formic regent.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 261