Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38

Author Topic: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Money In The Bank  (Read 32303 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Destination Unknown [WL:4/6]
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »

[So, tallying votes.

N Terraform: 4
NNE Small Holdfast:
W Bank Holdfast: 1
S Depot:
S Xeno Factory:
SW City:
Point K:

Well, it looks like you guys are heading north when I update.

The Flowers of Life are capable of organic cold fusion, mostly done through the Seeds of Life. I can't really say more without spoilering things I intend to keep a surprise. :D ]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2013, 06:19:52 pm »

[So, first off, we aren't on an alien planet. We're on Mars. We've colonized it way before the Kai arrived(evidenced by holdfasts). Secondly, we sure as hell better have fusion, and I wouldn't put it past having antimatter reactors, because my melee weapon fucks with gravity. Unless we managed to steal that from the Kai(which has a shitton of other implications), the technology is pretty far advanced, especially what with the part where there's space battles(boats weren't commonly used for fighting in the way we think of it for a long ass time). We can use a factory, but we can use it for a short period of time, then sabotage it and run like crazy fuckers with tanks that we built in the factory.]

[On another note, from 'smoke factory', I had gotten more of a 'greenhouse gas producer' feel. Also, fairly sure they were past the first stage, because holdfasts.]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2013, 06:27:39 pm »

[We can use a factory, but we can use it for a short period of time, then sabotage it and run like crazy fuckers with tanks that we built in the factory.]
[This sounds like a plan.]
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2013, 06:39:19 pm »

[We can use a factory, but we can use it for a short period of time, then sabotage it and run like crazy fuckers with tanks that we built in the factory.]
[This sounds like a plan.]

((Automated tanks with lasers and !SCIENCE! as their weapons!!!

also, we might have fantastic 'normal' fusion (aka, not cold fusion) but organic, grow-in-a-greenhouse cold fusion plants? that could be produced by the shit-ton? that sorta snubs it.

Finally, anti-matter energy is a bit of a WTF science at the moment and this is not set that far into the future, so i think antimatter is going a bit far.))
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:41:03 pm by kahn1234 »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2013, 06:50:42 pm »

[So is fucking with gravity...]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »

[So is fucking with gravity...]

((Fair point, but i think the use of nano-materials (which would be far more advanced as it is today, even though we have it today) is more to blame for the ridiculously sharp blades.))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2013, 06:58:57 pm »

[Probably, but it's a Gravitic Hammer. Using gravity technology to capture, hold, and control anti-matter isn't much of a step up(I might even say it's a step down, considering it's being put to use in a melee weapon]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »

((The problem with antimatter generators isn't getting antimatter, it's getting a net positive in energy. Which will be difficult, especially considering that it comes within a few hydrogen atoms of violating thermodynamics, even at optimal efficiency.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2013, 07:11:15 pm »

((The problem with antimatter generators isn't getting antimatter, it's getting a net positive in energy. Which will be difficult, especially considering that it comes within a few hydrogen atoms of violating thermodynamics, even at optimal efficiency.))

((And then there is the little problem of the fact that is something goes wrong, goodbye solar system (or, at the very least, goodbye planet).))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »

[Depends on how much antimatter you're making.]

[But it's theorized that black holes could strip away one part of the particle-anti-particle creation annihilation loop, so that's one way to do it.]

[Also, I have a hammer that screws with gravity. I've been saying this a lot, but it's not just that it screws with gravity. It's that I'm able to hold it, and use it as a weapon, and it screws with gravity. That's how advanced the tech is. And in all likelihood, I'm already beating physics over the head with it every time I use it, so other than the possibility of finding a place where it's primarily antimatter and harvesting it to use as fuel, physics already left the building in several different locations. This is really just a debate on whether it wants to jump out the window or not, too]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2013, 07:31:58 pm »

[But it's theorized that black holes could strip away one part of the particle-anti-particle creation annihilation loop, so that's one way to do it.]
[Yes, because contained black holes are so much more practical than particle accelerators. Especially as it's tough to predict which pair will come out.

[Also, I have a hammer that screws with gravity. I've been saying this a lot, but it's not just that it screws with gravity. It's that I'm able to hold it, and use it as a weapon, and it screws with gravity. That's how advanced the tech is. And in all likelihood, I'm already beating physics over the head with it every time I use it, so other than the possibility of finding a place where it's primarily antimatter and harvesting it to use as fuel, physics already left the building in several different locations. This is really just a debate on whether it wants to jump out the window or not, too]
[The problem isn't possibility, it's efficiency. We don't know how energy-hungry that gravhammer thing is, and that doesn't really matter. Given that it takes power to get antimatter, the most important part of antimatter generators, thermodynamics would make it tough to get a net positive in electricity without very efficient antimatter generation and electrical production from said.]
Sig

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »

((OOC: I think we need an update before we start going all Stephen Hawking up in here))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2013, 07:44:06 pm »

[Appropriate choice, since we were discussing Hawking radiation.]
Sig

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »

[Yeah, there's a few Big Lies that exist, but I want the nonsense to be on consistent terms so as to at least resemble physics.

Ramble away, I'm fascinated. ]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »

[This should be helpful in answering many questions.]

[As for efficiency, what I'm saying is that it's possible to have a way to get antimatter or matter without (compared to what is currently needed) huge expenditures of energy, whether by grabbing particles before they annihilate themselves, or by using gravity, or wormholes...it wouldn't be a small reactor, by any means, but it would be possible. The only real question is one of how they're getting the antimatter. They could be making it with particle accelerators, they could be gathering it as fuel, they could basically be sucking the basic energy level of a vacuum by retrieving the particles there or using the energy the reactions create before it can turn into another reaction. They could be creating it in bulk, and then annihilating it in small quantities for a net gain. The Kai could be fucking growing antimatter or something.]

[Really, I think the best way to run one is to find a place with a shitton of antimatter and harvest it. The best part is, every type of atom would work for fuel, as you can put it through a fission and/or fusion reaction to get it to be anti-hydrogen or whatever element of antimatter is required. Antimatter reactors might come in two parts to accommodate this.]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38