Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 378012 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [In which the wait list is shortened]
« Reply #1050 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26:00 am »

Also suggestion: Make Will affect on how much time you re unsconcious. Every turn you re unsconcious you can do a will roll to see if you wake up.
First turn: 5/6+=You wake up.
Second Turn: 4/5/6+=You wake up.
Third Turn: 3/4/5/6+=You wake up.
And so on, the minimum to wake up being a one, cuz zeros suck.

This seems a more fair system and adds will another use apart of magic. In fact, perhaps you could do a will roll to avoid while sleeping? 4+=You can do a dexterity roll to avoid with a -2 (That -2 can be negated with points on dexterity)

Why not use Endurance for that as well? Seems to fit better, considering that it's a physical ailment of a sort.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1051 on: August 14, 2013, 06:27:16 am »

Also suggestion: Make Will affect on how much time you re unsconcious. Every turn you re unsconcious you can do a will roll to see if you wake up.
First turn: 5/6+=You wake up.
Second Turn: 4/5/6+=You wake up.
Third Turn: 3/4/5/6+=You wake up.
And so on, the minimum to wake up being a one, cuz zeros suck.

This seems a more fair system and adds will another use apart of magic. In fact, perhaps you could do a will roll to avoid while sleeping? 4+=You can do a dexterity roll to avoid with a -2 (That -2 can be negated with points on dexterity)

Why not use Endurance for that as well? Seems to fit better, considering that it's a physical ailment of a sort.
You use Endurance to see wether you go unsconcious or not (And to help negating damage while asleep), but after that its the willpower that you need to be able to wake up and resume fight.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 14, 2013, 07:04:13 am »

How can you use willpower, which is, by its very nature, an action of your conscious mind, if you're unconscious? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1053 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:52 am »

How can you use willpower, which is, by its very nature, an action of your conscious mind, if you're unconscious? It really doesn't make sense to me.
By your logic we would be dead while we sleep. We actually use mind while unconscious, else we wouldnt dream.
If you by the morning re very sleepy, what do you use if you want to get out of bed, endurance or willpower?
Yes, if you had endurance, you wouldnt be so sleepy, but you re, thus it doesnt matter anymore. You use your will to get up and resume your life.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:17 am »

Let me put it like this - in a dream, can you make yourself wake up on command? The example you brought up was when a person has already woken up and is sleepy.

You can't will away the minor brain damage or oxygen deprivation that struck you unconscious, either. It's all a matter of how your body recovers. The mind hardly figures into it, really.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 14, 2013, 07:44:54 am »

I'm siding with Harry in this debate. Willpower would have to do when your concious mind has some degree of control over your body. If it doesn't, then it's not willpower, because you are not using your will. Willpower could be used when, for example, you have a lot of pain and you decide to move anyways. There is no way to decrease the pain, just to ignore it, and for that you would need willpower.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1056 on: August 14, 2013, 08:19:51 am »

Let me put it like this - in a dream, can you make yourself wake up on command? The example you brought up was when a person has already woken up and is sleepy.

You can't will away the minor brain damage or oxygen deprivation that struck you unconscious, either. It's all a matter of how your body recovers. The mind hardly figures into it, really.
Wait, are you speaking about logic in a forum game? Whats next, economy?
Endurance already has enough uses, let will shine a bit more, its pretty much useless without Control word.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 14, 2013, 08:24:06 am »

For the uselessness of that stat is that I created my character with 0 will, as I'm not going to get with the heaven/hell stuff.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:52 am »

And when the control word becomes known, will shall become omnipresent and at least a second or third thought in everyone's character build. Will doesn't need to shine at all, in my opinion. It'll become obligatory soon enough.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1059 on: August 14, 2013, 08:30:33 am »

And when the control word becomes known, will shall become omnipresent and at least a second or third thought in everyone's character build. Will doesn't need to shine at all, in my opinion. It'll become obligatory soon enough.
Oooooh if you knew...
Dang, i need to see next turn to know if my plan begins to work...

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 14, 2013, 08:41:05 am »

How is it that you played the original and failed to realize that will is blatantly overpowered?
The only thing that ever held it back even slightly was that you needed an item or god to channel it through.

I mean seriously, i created organic thornbush grenades, then wwolin detonated someones spine and then toaster hijacked someones mind and forced him to summon a MOTHERFUCKING BLACK HOLE CLUSTER BOMB.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1061 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:45 am »

How is it that you played the original and failed to realize that will is blatantly overpowered?
The only thing that ever held it back even slightly was that you needed an item or god to channel it through.

I mean seriously, i created organic thornbush grenades, then wwolin detonated someones spine and then toaster hijacked someones mind and forced him to summon a MOTHERFUCKING BLACK HOLE CLUSTER BOMB.
I had hmm, three turns in the original.
Also, it was me who said that Will was the best stat and managed to get two large groups agaisnt me because of that.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 14, 2013, 09:00:17 am »

I DEMAND JOINERY.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:38 am »

Also, it was me who said that Will was the best stat and managed to get two large groups agaisnt me because of that.

Will is powerful, but to use it, you need one of several things:

A) the ability to cast complex magic (at least 2-3 words).
B) a buddy or buddies who can cast complex magic for you.
C) the ability to steal a control item from somebody else.
D) Scarlon.

The first three require somebody to know the control word (or, for lesser functionality in the first case, a will-based targeting word), while the fourth is currently impossible. And Will, unlike Potency and Channeling, functions perfectly well on its own and, while less versatile than true magic (when used by someone with knowledge of a lot of words, which equates to anyone not lazy and not going for the self-imposed 'no metagaming' challenge), is also functionally infinite. So will is really powerful, but not all-powerful, being largely item-based, magic-based or cooperation-based.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1064 on: August 14, 2013, 09:13:43 am »

Will is powerful, but to use it, you need one of several things:

A) the ability to cast complex magic (at least 2-3 words).
B) a buddy or buddies who can cast complex magic for you.
C) the ability to steal a control item from somebody else.
D) Scarlon.

The first three require somebody to know the control word (or, for lesser functionality in the first case, a will-based targeting word), while the fourth is currently impossible. And Will, unlike Potency and Channeling, functions perfectly well on its own and, while less versatile than true magic (when used by someone with knowledge of a lot of words, which equates to anyone not lazy and not going for the self-imposed 'no metagaming' challenge), is also functionally infinite. So will is really powerful, but not all-powerful, being largely item-based, magic-based or cooperation-based.

You dont require Scarlon, Scarlon made will stronger and gave ability to control minds without the correct words.
Actually, i dont require the first nor third. And B is already accomplished.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 198