Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bay 12 Nomic  (Read 2189 times)

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay 12 Nomic
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

I noticed we don't have an active game of Nomic and decided to fix that, if you don't know what Nomic is google it. We will be using a slightly altered form of the rules from the xkcd Nomic:

R001:
Any player may set forth a motion to take some official action. Official actions include, but are not limited to, amendment of or additions of rules.

R002:
All official motions must be in bold and italics and begin with "I make a motion to..." Additionally, official motions must end with "For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as [username]'s motion to...", followed by a summary of the motion's actions, with "[username]" replaced by the motion-maker's username. For example, one could say "I make a motion to put the comma that is directly outside the quotes in rule R002 inside the preceeding quotes, after the ellipses. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammar Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."

R003:
To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammar Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."

R004:
Once a motion has received five votes, they are tallied. If a motion receives three or more votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.

R005:
The rules are to be followed in their most current form.

R006:
It is against the rules to vote on a motion more than once.

Go forth and strike the rules!

*edit*
I will do my best to keep an (at least semi-)up to date list of current rules here until b_boy_212's motion to avoid conflict passes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:20:57 pm by b_boy_212 »
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Nomic
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 02:03:09 pm »

I make a motion to give each player a pool of points that starts at zero and goes up by one for every successful motion a player creates. For the purposes of voting this shall be known as b_boy_212's motion to provide incentive.

I make a motion to declare the first player to 100 points the winner. For the purposes of voting this motion shall be known as b_boy_212's motion to provide a win condition.

I did not want to include anything more than a framework in the initial rules but we might want some way to win, or not. It's up to you guys.

I cast my vote in favor of b_boy_212's motion to provide incentive.
I cast my vote in favor of b_boy_212's motion to provide a win condition.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

I cast my vote against of b_boy_212's motion to provide a win condition.

Because this bay12 and the only way to win is having !!FUN!!
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Wait, there's a player list?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 02:16:58 pm »

I make a motion to declare that a simulated world governed by our rules exists. For the purposes of voting this shall be known as Harry Baldman's motion to provide a world to screw with.

I cast my vote in favor of Harry Baldman's motion to provide a world to screw with.
I cast my vote against  b_boy_212's motion to provide a win condition.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:23:49 pm »

I agree with Rhyme we don't need to win we need to have !!FUN!!, thats why I split the idea into two motions. I still think that points might come in useful eventually.

I like the idea of a simulated world, if you flesh the idea out more I'll give it my vote.

*edit*
perhaps a dwarf fort?
either simulated here or run by a select player / group in dwarf fortress itself.

rules could be sort of like mandates but we would vote on them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:29:41 pm by b_boy_212 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »

I agree with Rhyme we don't need to win we need to have !!FUN!!, thats why I split the idea into two motions. I still think that points might come in useful eventually.

I like the idea of a simulated world, if you flesh the idea out more I'll give it my vote.

Well, first we need the world. The fleshing out will come with additional rules. That's the entire point of it, to cause people to throw in ideas to build on the core one.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »

fair enough
I cast my vote in favor of Harry Baldman's motion to provide a world to screw with.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:39:41 pm »

*Edit* removed idea due to having a better Idea which I will post in the event that Harry Baldman's motion to provide a world to screw with goes through.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:27:01 am by b_boy_212 »

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 05:46:59 am »

I also cast my vote in favor of Harry Baldman's motion to provide a world to screw with.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Wait, there's a player list?

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:20 am »

I cast my vote in favour of Harry Baldmans notion to provide a world to screw with.
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:18:53 am »

I make a motion that the text in R002 which states "I make a motion to..." be replaced with "I move that..." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as GreatWyrmGold's motion to improve our parliamentary procedure.
I make a motion to put the comma that is directly outside the quotes in rule R002 inside the preceeding quotes, after the ellipses. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as GreatWyrmGold's motion to force us to think of a more interesting example.

I cast my vote in favor of b_boy_212's motion to provide incentive.
I cast my vote against b_boy_212's motion to provide a win condition.
I cast my vote in favor of GreatWyrmGold's motion to improve our parliamentary procedure.
I cast my vote in favor of GreatWyrmGold's motion to force us to think of a more interesting example.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 07:25:57 am »

I make a motion that the text in R003 that states that the proper way to vote is to write "I cast my vote [in favor of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]" be replaced with text that states that the proper way to vote is to write "I vote [for/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]". For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Harry Baldman's motion to deformalize voting.

I cast my vote in favor of GreatWyrmGold's motion to improve our parliamentary procedure.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:35:54 am »

I cast my vote against Harry Baldman's motion to deformalize voting.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:33:49 pm »

Harry Baldman's motion to provide a world to screw with passes with 5 for and 0 against. According to R004 you have 48 hours to post the new ruleset.

I cast my vote in favor of GreatWyrmGold's motion to improve our parliamentary procedure
I cast my vote against GreatWyrmGold's motion to force us to think of a more interesting example
I cast my vote against Harry Baldman's motion to deformalize voting

I make a motion that every person who votes is required to post a list of all the motions currently open for voting inside of spoiler tags in order for their vote to be valid. The format will be:
[motion name]: [votes in favor] / [votes against]. For the purposes of voting this motion shall be referred to as b_boy_212's motion to tidy up voting.

this will make it easier for people to understand whats going on.
I make a motion that our world be represented by a 100 * 100 grid to be managed in a public google docs spreadsheet. For the purposes of voting this motion shall be referred to as b_boy_212's motion to make our world tangible.

I cast my vote in favor of b_boy_212's motion to tidy up voting
I cast my vote in favor of b_boy_212's motion to make our world tangible

the motions currently open for voting: for / against
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:39:46 pm by b_boy_212 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:26 pm »

I make a motion that the world be composed of the following terrain types: Ocean (deep water), Sea (shallow water), Desert (sandy, dry, arid areas), Grassland (flat areas covered mainly in grass), Forest (areas covered mainly in trees), Swamp (wet areas with fairly thick vegetation), Hills (soily lumps), Mountain (rocky lumps of great size), Wasteland (rocky plains), and Tundra (icy areas). For the purposes of voting this motion shall be referred to as GreatWyrmGold's motion to define terrain.

I cast my vote in favor of b_boy_212's motion to tidy up voting
I cast my vote in favor of b_boy_212's motion to make our world tangible
I cast my vote in favor of GreatWyrmGold's motion to define terrain.

(Not required, but allowed.)
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3