Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Ascendancy- The second game in the Competition series  (Read 6442 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Ascendancy- The second game in the Competition series
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:18:06 pm »

To see how this race came about, take a look at the game Competition by Eotyrannus. This is part two of the evolution of the Nightmace, sightless tentacled scourge of the sky. Our Nightmace stands thus:

Generation 0:
Sophont nightmace
A mottled dark purple bird-like animal that hunts on the mountain meadows. They use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They mostly fly. They grow up to 40 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets. They use two claws on their back to snatch prey from the ground or air.
SOCIAL: They live in groups of about 25, alongside one or two eagle-squid.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and an extremely good sense of smell/taste. A keen electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it, and it can feel vibrations from moving creatures. Its hearing is extraordinary, and it can echolocate. However, this is still inferior to the eagle-eyed vision of other slicers, although the eagle-squid partially makes up for that.
REPRODUCTION: It 'kisses' a mate it approves of, passing male cells to it, and growths grow inside of the womb. Tentaclets follow their mother and are fed by them. They eat regurgitated food from the mother's guts, and when they are old enough, they leave.
MOVEMENT: They fly by using their front wings to glide and their back wings as engines. They have two legs on their underside, which can break through wood and dig through dirt. They can use their wings and legs to gallop across the ground.
EATING: It impales small animals and digests them by drawing them into the guts. They are able to prey on most animals smaller than them, and they  use venom. Most of their food is from grazing worms and the dense vegetation. Other prey include land-dwelling spearfaced worms (slitherers) and other flappers, as well as leggedgrinders. We can use a precise jet of neurotoxin, laced with silica shards (to pierce the skin), to kill prey. We can also blind soft-eyed animals with a thick gloopy venom. We scavenge from the kills of our host when we are not hunting.
PREDATION: We have few predators, now we are protected by our shells, our sightmace, our spears and our hosts.
SYMBIOSIS: The greater eagle-squid, a large predator with a 3-metre wingspan and powerful vision and claws.
COMPETITION: Our intelligence, domestication and symbiosis has managed to drive away most threats.
INTELLIGENCE: We have complex language, full sapiece, basic herding, domestication of sightmace, art and good manipulators.
ENVIRONMENT: A cold meadow with loose trees and quite a few balloons above it.

Before we can be introduced to the species and its rise to power, however, we must narrow our focus a bit. The Sophont Nightmace is spreading throughout the temperate to subpolar climates, driven by the power of its superior tool use. Where did your chosen band choose to settle?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendancy- The second game in the Competition series
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:24:42 pm »

A temperate area, preferably heavily forested and with at least one river. And without aquifers, also, shallow and deep metals and flux stone.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:11 pm »

Tundra[/b[
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »

A temperate area, preferably heavily forested and with at least one river. And without aquifers, also, shallow and deep metals and flux stone.
+1, PTW
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:48:44 pm »

+1 - Just because of the DF-Reference. :P Albeit, we currently have some kind of ice-age thingy going on, so I doubt we will get it as good.

(And it seems the "original" Nightmace-Thread is getting a "New World" - at least atm...)

Edit: Eh, I say give others who are not online right now a chance to voice their opinion on it - Or go for it, if your fingers are twitching already.  :P
(Wich means, I won't really say anything, and thus no responsibility shall befall me. Hah! But hey, I at least listed some options... ;3)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:59:07 pm by escaped lurker »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:50:10 pm »

+1 - Just because of the DF-Reference. :P Albeit, we currently have some kind of ice-age thingy going on, so I doubt we will get it as good.

(And it seems the "original" Nightmace-Thread is getting a "New World" - at least atm...)
Yep. Do you want me to wait until the decision is finalized, or start immediately?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »

+1.  Just to add, if possible, a location like that which is near the coast.  Gotta have ocean access for trade.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:28:04 pm »

Further north than the starting area, there should be an area of semi-open woodland near a large river, slightly above the estuary. That sounds like a reasonably-good starting space.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »

+1 to Eotyrannus's idea, which also seems to fit DarkDZX's idea

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:50:39 pm »

Further north than the starting area, there should be an area of semi-open woodland near a large river, slightly above the estuary. That sounds like a reasonably-good starting space.
+1
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:03:54 pm »

+1 to all those ideas.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:05:12 pm »

+1 to all those ideas.
All these ideas are mutually exclusive :P.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:06:30 pm »

+1 to all those ideas.
All these ideas are mutually exclusive :P.
PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY IS NOTHING TO THE VOTER
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:18:00 am »

Given that the Competition is indeed undergoing a new planet voting, it's fair to say that we can now start playing this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5