Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 977252 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #5475 on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:32 pm »

I am aware that fire =/= laser, I meant similarly to a laser, you should *concentrate* your fire as a precision weapon, rather than just blasting the whole thing. A deep, intensive burn on a crucial place may do more than just burning the entire area
Nuriel conjures fire. She doesn't conjure heat. Anyways, unless you're getting really, really hot, it's usually better to burn the whole body than just one spot.

In addition, we usually face enough enemies that burning a bunch at once is useful.

Ah, right, Nef did a thing. It's easy to forget that she is actually a real character with real stats, rather than just the gag that came when Will flirted with a wall
How the hell do you confuse Will and Kyle?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: February 03, 2014, 01:38:38 pm »

whoops. Well...Will should flirt more, I guess. The whole beastiality thing with Stella...

((as if architectuality is any better :P))

edit: rechecking the rule changes that were posted earlier:

If the attack hits, damage is d20+(relevant stat). If it succeeds and gets a raise (basically, if your success is twice that of what it beat) you get a crit, which does double damage and requires a DC50 END save or the target loses their next action.

so that was what all these stun rolls were for, also explains the fuck-huge damage. On the other hand, it implies sel has been critting non-stop.

I agree with what Will said earlier, there is a middle path between grunt and final bossfight...this one doesnt seem very midling to me
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:44:27 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: February 03, 2014, 01:44:20 pm »

100+ vs 9. Counter. And then 130+ vs 9. Crit.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: February 03, 2014, 01:48:05 pm »

a critical success on a dodge roll giving you a bonus attack seems a bit extreme to me, given that she has MINIMUM a 40% chance of critting any dex roll
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: February 03, 2014, 01:50:14 pm »

a critical success on a dodge roll giving you a bonus attack seems a bit extreme to me, given that she has MINIMUM a 40% chance of critting any dex roll

Not really. She has to double your roll. If you have a reasonable DEX score, she likely won't. The issue is more these characters with single-digit DEX scores.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: February 03, 2014, 01:52:50 pm »

whoops. Well...Will should flirt more, I guess. The whole beastiality thing with Stella...
Call it bestiality to his face. I dare you.
Stella's a person, too. A human person who happens to be half-dragon. And in a strady relationship with Will, who isn't interested in polyamory.

I agree with what Will said earlier, there is a middle path between grunt and final bossfight...this one doesnt seem very midling to me
Um, I'm not Will. I just play him on TV.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: February 03, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »

Hey, hey Rag. You should post.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: February 03, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »

doubling the roll is fine and dandy, on an attack roll.

it was however Nef who was attacking her, and she rolled Dex to dodge it. A critical dodge automaticaly giving you a free action seems like a not very well thought out thing.

just from a balancing thought, game-design wise. It makes Dex the single most powerful stat. You don't really need any Str, your damage gets a d20 on top and is usualy doubled anyway, and you don't need much end, as with high dex, you dont get hit much.

in Elf original system there was, upon being hit, a compared str vs end roll. if end passed, no damage was taken.

while I think that complete demage negation is silly, I do want to suggest at least the possibility of using high endurance to reduce the damage, to allow tanky players *any* chance of survival

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: February 03, 2014, 02:00:59 pm »

T
High END mitigating damage is modeled by it giving you the lion's share of your Health.

And I don't care how tough you are, getting stabbed is still going to fucking hurt.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:02:34 pm by ragnarok97071 »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:21 pm »

yeah, but that's it. all it does is give you health. same for your strength, it doesn't do much

meanwhile Dex: lets you avoid damage altogether, which in essence, has a bigger influence on your health (mind you, even against most spells, not just physical attacks)
                          lets you double your damage, which in essence means it has pretty much the same influence on your damage output as your strength does

a character is perfectly fine with having just high dex and mind, everything else is entirely optional.

from a game design point of view, there is no incentive for any other playstyle than having high dex and mind, as any other option pales entirely.

also, what mcclay said :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: February 03, 2014, 02:22:54 pm »

Ah, yes, Dexterity, the classic Stat to Rule them All.

You could always do what some games in the RtD section figured out and split it into Agility and Dexterity.
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: February 03, 2014, 02:23:46 pm »

I am not writing a turnpost on my phone.

Also, counter only applies in Melee, and having a high damage stat is important too. If someone crits with 10 str, they do substantially less damage than a crit at 20 str, and by a pretty wide margin.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: February 03, 2014, 02:25:22 pm »

I am not writing a turnpost on my phone.
Indeed. I wonder why.
Sig

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: February 03, 2014, 02:33:18 pm »

nope, even with just strength 10, it's a 10+d20, which can result int a 60 damage crit. One could easily just put them *all* in dex to do so much more than just adding a tiny amount of more damage to your roll, afterall with dex, you always hit, have a significantly higher chance of criting, a significantly higher chance to take no damage at all, and even if you should take some, you won't get critted yourself.

the only other stat you need is mind

there needs to be an incentive for endurance and strength, to keep things varied. People who want to play as the Thing should be able to do so, not be rendered pointless by doing so. as it stands, the only counter to a character with high dex and mind is, well, a character with even bigger dex. why would anyone upon level up put stats anywhere else?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: February 03, 2014, 02:36:05 pm »

A few things.

1. 10 points in Strength doubles your average damage. 10 points in Dexterity gives you another 10% chance to hit, plus a few other things, which still don't do anything like doubling average DPS.
2. Combat is a pretty small part of the game. Heck, stats are pretty minor, outside combat and mystery. Some people aren't trying to optimize their characters for combat.
3. Magic is also useful.
4. I'm considering bringing in a version of Minmax to mock Akroma's character design concepts.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1030