Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 977263 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14505 on: May 30, 2014, 06:58:30 pm »

Which isn't hacking. It's a back door, combined with really shitty city planning.
Sounds about right for Chicago.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: May 30, 2014, 07:02:59 pm »

Which isn't hacking. It's a back door, combined with really shitty city planning.

Which is, like, a majority of hacking. Well, except for the really shitty city planning, but my point still stands. It's way easier to exploit backdoors than actually crack passwords and things like that.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: May 30, 2014, 07:05:04 pm »

I'd call it more of a product of hacking.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: May 30, 2014, 07:08:25 pm »

As in an unauthorized radio signal? How does that screw up CCTVs? I mean, I suppose (get @GWG to verify) that may fuck with radio communications, but I don't see how cameras are affected, unless of course, said cameras have some sort of radio dependency.
Well, unless the circuits are closed with radio waves, it doesn't do crap.

Actually remote controle the thing to drive? Can#t do that...unless we are far enough in the future for that to work.
Theoretically possible now. Google's got a few that should be susceptible.

This is sounding less like hacking and more like Hollywood magic with a dash of that Watch Dogs stuff.
Indeed.

Well, there is the thing of the on-board computer having no wireless access. Oh wait, Some cars have built in GPS (which needs to update somehow or bring up the location.) which means wireless hacking.
I don't think you could access any of the car's functions through the GPS function. It's not connected to anything except the GPS and direction-giving functions. Not that there are many computer-controlled functions in the first place.

Which is, like, a majority of hacking. Well, except for the really shitty city planning, but my point still stands. It's way easier to exploit backdoors than actually crack passwords and things like that.
Any plan that requires your opponent to have made a critical mistake is a bad plan. Therefore, backdoors one should expect to be exploitable should be ones that aren't quite so stupid.

New poll. In case you want to check the options, they're here.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: May 30, 2014, 09:08:28 pm »

Sounds about right for Chicago.
Speaking of Chicago, I'm there as of a couple minutes ago. I just got off my plane.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: May 30, 2014, 09:09:57 pm »

Is it as crappy as everyone says?

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: May 30, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »

Southern Chicago is the crappy part. That's about it as far as I know.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: May 30, 2014, 09:53:16 pm »

Is it as crappy as everyone says?
Everywhere's as crappy as everyone says Chicago is, if you look in the right place.
Except Gary. That's worse, these days.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: May 31, 2014, 01:45:57 am »

I just watched Madoka Magica Rebellion.
What.
The.
Fuck.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: May 31, 2014, 02:50:31 am »

Does the time skip forward give Kyle enough time to make the castle fly?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: May 31, 2014, 02:54:00 am »

What magic/technology will do that?
Wouldn't the French government care?
How much will it cost?
How does it refuel?
Why would it need to?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: May 31, 2014, 04:25:59 am »

I dunno, as we were technicaly hoping to power the PCs down a bit to a more managable level. But I suppose since Kyle *is* going into hiding, building some sort of flying base of operations may be feasible.

as far as the hacking goes, this is a game of superpowers, a bit of artistic license can be taken to make it a bit less based in realism, and a bit more in rpg. After all, ICARUS is an electronic entity, which does not actually enter lines of code into things. It's really more like...extending your arm and grabbing the thing, taking controle (her real arm, not the robot arm) Also hey, if this plays about 5 years in the future, there's probably a whole lot more computering going on as it is today.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:28 am »

More computers doesn't mean that security measures get that lax and allowing people to take these breaks form reality is what caused some of these issues in the first place. If your argument is simply that there will probably be more computing in the future, than that raises even more issues considering that you'll be giving her additional abilities over what you estimate to be significant portion of infrastructure. In addition to having her regain her current ability set.

Certain breaks were disallowed, a while back that was the precedent set when there were talks about whether or not a vaguely C-like language could create a 'strong' AI. Being able to hack into things remotely like that has implications, especially for electronic warfare and whatnot, something that the world may be moving towards if that whole US-China corporate espionage issue that happened recently serves as any indication.

You do not cure cancer via chainsaw vivisection. Likewise, you shouldn't be able to rapidly access and manipulate electronic infrastructure remotely without any sort of connection.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: May 31, 2014, 04:48:36 am »

again, this is a game based on superpowers. There is nothing at all mundane about the way ICARUS would access things. Unless you are going to be the one GMing the game turning it into a d20 modern, I repeat, a bit of leave above reality is not entirely unintended
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: May 31, 2014, 04:55:00 am »

I understand that, however, you have yet to provide any explanation that makes any sense. Your explanations thus far, radio waves, backdoors, etc. do not work in the way you intend for them to. You still have failed to address the issue of balance and you have forgotten a crucial detail: if people can hack in that way, then what's to prevent an antagonist form just hacking into ICARUS and deleting everything she has?

If someone can simply hack without any connections, then ICARUS' secure server is no longer secure. If your analogy of extending part of herself stands, then she's also exposing herself to whatever dwells within those systems, not exactly a good prospect, especially when this interpretation of hacking that you subscribe to seems to ignore limitations including the ones that would normally protect her.
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1030