Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256211 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #285 on: October 02, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »

On the fourth floor of Import Avenue 17, Halesey and Larry venture into forbidden territory, checking office by office. Larry takes the time to prepare for some kind of spellcasting, adopting a maximum wizarding posture and walking on his tiptoes as his hands dart fluidly in preparation for magic to happen.

Most of the offices seem quite empty apart from a few traffic lights sitting around in a fairly innocuous fashion. They continue like this for a few offices until they are suddenly distracted by something. That something is a sound not unlike an explosion a slight distance ahead, accompanied by a corresponding wave of what appear to be mops.

That's not the strange part, though. The strange part is when the mops begin to get up, having formed vaguely humanoid shapes, brushing the dust off themselves and looking around.

Several floors lower, Elizabeth tries to find quite possibly the biggest hint that her associates might have been here - some potatoes lying around in unlikely places. Sadly, though, she finds very little on the ground floor that isn't a bunch of confused squatters. Less sadly, there is another sound! It sounds like it came from up above somewhere. This one's less melodic, though.

Kat shouts down at her visitor, eager to seek some sense in the whole mess of things that have been happening to her.

"None of this really makes any sense anyway-I just learned m-double a-g-ick existed today. And, in the absence of any actual guiding drive, I'm mostly winging it until something explodes. Would you like to come up and explain who you are, and why you don't think I'm just a crazy person making signs at the air?"

"If you were crazy, you'd be better at it! Hang on, I'm coming up."

The girl walks into the lobby of Kat's building. Some minutes pass until Kat hears rather wet-sounding footsteps in the hallway outside her door, interrupted occasionally by a series of loud knocks.

"... are you-no, wait, you're just an old pervert..." Kat hears the girl say until her footsteps stop at her door. Series of knocks again.

"Hey, you in there? Come on, open up! Can't do this all night, you know!"

The girl sounds a tad annoyed.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »

Keep musical garbage blast prepared, hold ground and unleash it if they show hostile intent. Will the mops dare to advance on us? Follow Larry.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:28:34 pm by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 02, 2013, 03:22:59 pm »

Kat cracked open her door. Never open Mr. Tullwoth's apartment...

"Over here, over here. Please, come in. Stop staring, Mr. Tullworth."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 02, 2013, 03:26:06 pm »

Larry's face lights up.  "Here, I'll distract them!"

Evoke that mucus!  Get past them as the mops clean it up.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2013, 05:35:30 am »

Kat cracked open her door. Never open Mr. Tullwoth's apartment...

"Over here, over here. Please, come in. Stop staring, Mr. Tullworth."

After the door is opened and Mr. Tullworth is successfully warded off yet again, the girl steps inside. She is still wearing her raincoat, and now your impression of her as quite young is successfully confirmed - she can't be more than 16 or 17 years old, you'd say, and her face contains more than trace amounts of metal - her nose is quite thoroughly pierced, as are her eyebrows and her lower lip, giving her visage a rather silver-studded impression. As she stomps into your home, shutting the door behind her, she looks around.

"This is all very underwhelming," she says, taking off her raincoat and revealing a rather ratty, mildly trashy outfit underneath all the yellow plastic. She throws the raincoat onto a nearby couch, critically eying the furniture. "I thought there'd be a library here or something."

She turns back to you, her eyes wandering over you critically. "You did make the dinosaurs rain, right?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2013, 05:41:34 am »

"Yes, I made the dinosaurs...rain. Though I didn't really expect it work.

Also, sorry about the state of things here. I'm not really used to...taking care of my apartment...I used to travel alot..."
She says, looking around.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2013, 07:08:32 am »

"Yes, I made the dinosaurs...rain. Though I didn't really expect it work.

Also, sorry about the state of things here. I'm not really used to...taking care of my apartment...I used to travel alot..."
She says, looking around.

"Huh. Do you have any other places? More magical ones, I mean. I like the way it looks, it's just that it's... well... so mundane! Boring! Lacking in character! Passe!"

She frowns doubtfully after rattling off the list of thoughts.

"What do you call yourself, anyway?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2013, 08:40:40 am »

"I'm just plain Kathryn Jones.

And, as far as I know, this is an ordinary apartment. I know of A place that is supposedly magical-some sort of nexus or something-but, my sort of group wasn't making very good progress actually getting into it last I knew. One of our guys got sucked into a potato dimension or something. Pity. I figured they were all going to get themselves killed, so I came back here..."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:39 am »

"I'm just plain Kathryn Jones.

And, as far as I know, this is an ordinary apartment. I know of A place that is supposedly magical-some sort of nexus or something-but, my sort of group wasn't making very good progress actually getting into it last I knew. One of our guys got sucked into a potato dimension or something. Pity. I figured they were all going to get themselves killed, so I came back here..."

"Really, you don't even have a cool name to go by? I'm growing more disappointed by the minute. And you haven't even found a comfy leyline yet? How long have you been at this, anyway? I came here expecting some kind of wicked awesome sorceress, you know. What spells have you got?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2013, 09:46:23 am »

Kat checks her felix wall clock.

"I've been at it about three hours. No time for a secret identity.

And I suppose I can't do much yet aside from dropping dinosaurs. I was trying some sort of bolt thingy when you saw me.

Now, who exactly are you? I'm guessing you've got magic too...probably better than mine."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2013, 11:28:12 am »

Kat checks her felix wall clock.

"I've been at it about three hours. No time for a secret identity.

And I suppose I can't do much yet aside from dropping dinosaurs. I was trying some sort of bolt thingy when you saw me.

Now, who exactly are you? I'm guessing you've got magic too...probably better than mine."

"You've been at this for three hours and already you've essentially caused the miniature end times for the Retiree Row, huh?"

She grins.

"Sweet! Anyhow, I'm Perfidy. And you can bet I've got magic. Was hoping to talk to you about that, in fact! Can you do that dinosaur thing again?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2013, 11:29:46 am »

((Clearly a trustworthy person.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2013, 01:22:16 am »

"I've no doubt the dinosaur spell is...repeatable...but, next time I'd prefer to do it in a less populated place. I don't really like the thought of crushing more people inadvertently."

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2013, 01:53:53 am »

Continue chasing noises.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2013, 05:56:50 am »

On the fourth floor of the factory, Halesey and Larry stand firm against the advancing wave of mop people. They are somewhat put off by the way they seem to be strutting their way like it's Sunday and they're in a park, so they preemptively strike against their adversaries!

[Larry's affinity roll: 1-->1+1+3]

Larry attempts to summon the power of mucus, but none comes out for some reason! Could it be because he has just recuperated from a nasty cold? He gets the urge to sneeze for a moment, although he keeps it in purely by reflex honed by years of working in the service industry.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 3-1+1]

Halesey, meanwhile, summons up a miniscule blast of garbage that hits a mop golem right in the kisser, producing a clean, perfect D note - the mop golem, aside from fluffing up in an offended fashion, is not very impressed. Their previous plans having failed, the two men walk up to the golems and try to get past. However, as they try this, the golems look at them expectantly. They also look expectantly at someone else behind Halesey and Larry - looking back, they notice that Elizabeth appears to have arrived, probably wondering what's all this, then.

Kat, having successfully introduced herself to Perfidy, expresses a sentiment that many on Retiree Row would share, the lack of necessity for submitting people to saurian precipitation without a very good reason.

"I've no doubt the dinosaur spell is... repeatable... but, next time I'd prefer to do it in a less populated place. I don't really like the thought of crushing more people inadvertently."

"Oh, pish posh. It's no fun if there aren't people around. Dinosaurs are only cool when you put them next to people, Flintstones-style. Or Jurassic Park-style, whichever you prefer. Besides, you probably won't hit anybody you really care about if you do it, so why worry?"
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 244