Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256054 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2445 on: July 30, 2014, 08:25:29 pm »

"You don't seem crazy. And I have no reason to doubt what you're telling me, do I?" she says, looking back at you earnestly. "There's no real alternative I have right now other than to believe you. At least it's some kind of lead."
Eta didn't say anything, but she smiled. She was helping. That was something.
"Anyway, do you have any idea how this magic thing works? How did this Dave Davidson cause the meteor strike? And how does your concussed friend there figure into all this?"
"As far as I understand it, once magic is within you, you can just... use it. Focus on it and make it happen. Or maybe even make it happen on accident. I'm not sure. Pilton said that the meteor was some sort of accident. As for how they gain that power... I'm not sure, but based on what Joan told me and what I saw David do, then there are two kinds if magical sources.

The first is to be "granted" magic. Granted by whom or for what purpose, I do not know. Maybe it's aliens or secret government scientists or demons. I would believe anything right now. But I have a feeling there is some sort of plan or logic to this. There has to be. Even in something as unreasonable as magic. Because otherwise, if the world holds no logic or reason, the we are very likely to be facing an age of chaos and anarchy or maybe even extinction. And those are usually a downer.

But, like I said, there's probably no reason to be gloomy, due to the following evidence: Joan claimed she, Pilton and the rest of their group all simply 'dreamt' of magic and thus acquired it, but I find that hard to believe. If they simply dreamt it as they claim, then how did they come to work together? How did they know to look for leylines? How did they find or create those artefacts? Someone (or something) must be guiding them.

The second is some kind of artefact or ritual or combination thereof that can grant you access to more magic. That usually requires you to be granted magic by someone who already has it, though. Or to find a way to gain one of those artefacts.

And like I said, Lois was helping me. Because she's my friend."
Eta looked at Lois.  "I guess I haven't been such good friend for her lately. I should had been more careful." she added after a couple of seconds.

Hmm.... The cheese! The blessed cheese could help! She could ask it. But would it answer? After all, it said I should do what I thought was best, to fulfil my potential. Or something like that. It's really fuzzy. So maybe not asking for the full answer. Just asking for some guidance? Point me to the right way. Where I should start my investigation, which questions I should ask? Hmm... A thought for later. Right now, I should focus on helping Lois. And Rieux. She seems determined to help. Make things better. I should aid her in that noble effort. But I can't tell her about myself or Lois. Not until she either questions me into a corner, where I am forced to tell the truth so that I won't lie, or until I'm sure she won't have either of us locked in a lab so that they can run tests on us.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 31, 2014, 05:48:49 am »

"Oh but of coooourse. An outsider. And I must help James. Because he's been here too long."

John says, mustering all the sarcasm he can

"Is being vague and cryptic part of the job application? Do you fuckers ever give a straight answer? Where is here and why must I help James?! Because one moment I'm helping a man find his missing wife, and now this bullshit is happening! Again!"

"'Here' is within me. My realm. My corner of the universe that even I can't control. On the very edge of the mortal world. I'm stuck here, and so is James. So now I'm going to free him, and you. You should help James, because I don't know if anyone else will. He's so easily influenced."

"You can't just throw me out, Mary! I love you!"

"And I love you as well, James, but it's not meant to be."

"'Reformer types'?"

"High-and-mighty city people who're gonna enlighten us about what you reckon is the right way to be livin'! Makes me sick! Burn 'em all in the same pyre, that's what we ought to be doin'!"

"As far as I understand it, once magic is within you, you can just... use it. Focus on it and make it happen. Or maybe even make it happen on accident. I'm not sure. Pilton said that the meteor was some sort of accident. As for how they gain that power... I'm not sure, but based on what Joan told me and what I saw David do, then there are two kinds if magical sources.

The first is to be "granted" magic. Granted by whom or for what purpose, I do not know. Maybe it's aliens or secret government scientists or demons. I would believe anything right now. But I have a feeling there is some sort of plan or logic to this. There has to be. Even in something as unreasonable as magic. Because otherwise, if the world holds no logic or reason, the we are very likely to be facing an age of chaos and anarchy or maybe even extinction. And those are usually a downer.

But, like I said, there's probably no reason to be gloomy, due to the following evidence: Joan claimed she, Pilton and the rest of their group all simply 'dreamt' of magic and thus acquired it, but I find that hard to believe. If they simply dreamt it as they claim, then how did they come to work together? How did they know to look for leylines? How did they find or create those artefacts? Someone (or something) must be guiding them.

The second is some kind of artefact or ritual or combination thereof that can grant you access to more magic. That usually requires you to be granted magic by someone who already has it, though. Or to find a way to gain one of those artefacts.

And like I said, Lois was helping me. Because she's my friend."
Eta looked at Lois.  "I guess I haven't been such good friend for her lately. I should had been more careful." she added after a couple of seconds.

"I see. There's still a lot of questions unanswered, looks like. Hm. Would you be open to organizing a meeting with Joan and letting me come along? Not in uniform, of course, and after we get your friend some aid. As your friend, so to speak."

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: July 31, 2014, 09:02:08 am »

"What? Those city guys were d***s! They tried to due my magic for their own gain so I killed them."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 31, 2014, 09:31:20 am »

"What? Those city guys were d***s! They tried to due my magic for their own gain so I killed them."

"Ah, so yer a criminal, then! Wouldja prefer ta be hanged or burned?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38:10 am »

"Hey they threatened me! It was self defense! Is leaving an option?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:16 am »

"Hey they threatened me! It was self defense! Is leaving an option?"

"Are you a fast runner?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 31, 2014, 12:06:23 pm »

"Um. I guess. What is with everyone threatening to kill me? Except for the first guys I met everyone has threatened to kill me unless I did something. I've got some magic. Can I trade a magical service for my life?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 31, 2014, 12:09:43 pm »

"Um. I guess. What is with everyone threatening to kill me? Except for the first guys I met everyone has threatened to kill me unless I did something. I've got some magic. Can I trade a magical service for my life?"

"Digging yourself deeper with witchcraft, I see! So this is how it's going to be!"

The villagers begin to fly after you.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 31, 2014, 12:28:08 pm »

"Right, yes, fine. I'll make sure he doesn't forget to feed himself and that nobody makes him do ridiculous things. But you're still avoiding the question. We've already established that we are inside of you" John says, crossing his arms and looking stern. Not an easy feat when freefalling. "But you still haven't told me who or what you are."

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 31, 2014, 01:12:40 pm »

"Oh my god what's that!?"
Point, Storm of Distracting Underwear, and flee.
Spoiler: dave (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2455 on: July 31, 2014, 01:49:52 pm »

I have that meeting for selling the golden shoes planned... but I guess it can wait. Helping Lois and potentially saving the world does seem more important than money. Besides, if they want the shoes that bad, they'll be willing to wait. It's not every day someone comes along selling pure gold.

"I see. There's still a lot of questions unanswered, looks like. Hm. Would you be open to organizing a meeting with Joan and letting me come along? Not in uniform, of course, and after we get your friend some aid. As your friend, so to speak."
"Yes, certainly. Last time I spoke to her, I mentioned a friend I was working with (Lois) but I did not call her by name. I could simply say you're the friend I was talking about. When do you want to set the meeting up?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 31, 2014, 02:24:15 pm »

"Right, yes, fine. I'll make sure he doesn't forget to feed himself and that nobody makes him do ridiculous things. But you're still avoiding the question. We've already established that we are inside of you" John says, crossing his arms and looking stern. Not an easy feat when freefalling. "But you still haven't told me who or what you are."

"You can call me Mary, and I'm one of the outsiders. The people from *above*, *below* and *beyond*. People without shape or creed, without lasting principle and without ideals, we are worlds in and of ourselves. I possess great power, but no control. I tried to keep James with me for as long as I could, but I've only hurt him in the process, and made him into a shadow of himself."

"What are you saying?"

"You're stuck in a loop, James, and no other person except this man could have guided you out of it. And for this, I am thankful. But I will not give him anything, because my gifts harm more than they help almost always. Prepare yourself, you two. You are about to cross back into the world of the living. It will take a moment."

You feel a slight tingle.

"Yes, certainly. Last time I spoke to her, I mentioned a friend I was working with (Lois) but I did not call her by name. I could simply say you're the friend I was talking about. When do you want to set the meeting up?"

"Two hours from now could work, depending on the particular setting."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 31, 2014, 02:31:01 pm »

"Great. Yeah. This isn't even the weirdest thing that has happened to me the last couple of days. See ya then, Mary. I'll try to keep James from getting into trouble and all that."

Get punted back into the world of the living. Start leaving the hospital. Make sure James is with me at all times

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2458 on: July 31, 2014, 04:52:48 pm »

"Well, let's see if this can work then. No time like now to find out." Eta said as she searched her purse for her cellphone with one hand.
Call Joan, unless there are objections.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: August 02, 2014, 07:51:59 am »

Larry, knowing that some doing will be needed to get him on the same wavelength as these guys, goes about taking a few more hits. His entire body shivers a little as he puts the rag back to his face, clearly realizing that there is no way the feeling is not going suck, and suck hard.

[Larry's body roll: 6-->4-1]

Fortunately, the water helps with that problem as Larry inhales once, then again, then five more times, his spine feeling a rising shock each time he huffs, becoming more wired with each moment. The burning, though still there, becomes increasingly distant from his mind, as if it's happening to something further and further away. When he finally takes the rag off his mouth, the room around has changed, drastically so. It's still the same room, of course, but it feels multitudinous now, like there's actually fifty-one of them and fifty-one of him, one in each iteration. And he's all fifty-one of himself somehow, seeing fifty-one iterations of fifty-one rooms with fifty-one of himself in each iteration. And not just him, either - there's innumerable Arielles, each with a different, flashing, twisting, laughing, beautiful face, with thousands of eyes looking at him kindly, each Arielle either talking to him, listening to him, in exactly one instance getting extremely intimate with him to rather pleasing results, or socializing with someone else entirely. Hundreds of Phinnies ranting at one another and engaging in lively debates with both Arielle and him in different combinations about war, equality, the meaning of magic and more, and pestering Beagle, who Larry can perceive every bee of as an individual person with its own dreams and aspirations, about the joys of a communal existence. And around all of this is the Oldthinker, splintered into hundreds of thousands of himself so tiny, Larry can hardly even perceive them - the... air? Well, probably not air, but it still has become thick with his presence, his being on a whole different level than his own, it seems.

Maybe he needs a few more hits, some instances of Larry think as his many brains light up with a constant stream of contradicting information very difficult to appropriately contextualize, given the fact that he is speaking, listening, maybe magicking, dancing, reveling and being otherwise distractingly entertained all at the same time.

THE DUNKER decides to take it a little slower than Joanie, adapting to the more Nigelesque policy of moderation, though taking it a little further and maintaining complete sobriety for the moment, eyeballing the other patrons of this fine establishment, noticing a great deal of variety among them. There's teenagers, of course, but he can also spot a few people in military uniform, a couple of older women chatting away among themselves, some people who are very obviously street thugs, even a couple of tired-looking businessmen, and finally a guy who seems to be standing out by a wall, sipping what looks like milk. Haggard, balding, with a look like he hasn't slept in days, spidery fingers and a slightly menacing profile. As their eyes meet, THE DUNKER gets the feeling he looks slightly familiar for some reason.

He is also slightly creeped out when the guy's eyes immediately light up strangely when he meets his stare, and he walks right up, placing an elbow on the bar, drinking the glass of milk. This man, THE DUNKER realizes, reminds him of prison. Uncomfortably so.

"I see you are a fellow adherent," he says, grinning. "How goes your quest, pilgrim?"

"Who're you?" Nigel asks, and the man gives him a sharp glare.

"Do not presume to partake of our conversation, fool. This is between fellow pilgrims," he says with great animosity to the custodian.

"You tell him, crazy guy!" Joanie laughs before being interrupted by another phone call.

"Well, fuck you too, then," Nigel says, turning away and getting back to his current drink.

"Let us walk over to the wall there," the man whispers at THE DUNKER, "away from unworthy ears. I have not seen any but profligates and apostates for the past day, and was becoming worried of my path."

Dave, shocked by the innate hostility of these people, tries the oldest trick in the book.

"Oh my god, what's that!?" he exclaims, pointing in a direction while summoning the power of distracting underwear storms, the first and least reliable of his spells.

[Dave's affinity roll: 6-->6-1]

And where he points, a supremely powerful, cataclysmic collision of distracting underwear immediately happens, explosive winds of garments filling the area and causing quite a commotion both in its extreme gaudiness and its incredible amount of energy.

"Argh! Demons! Damn your witchcraft!" the talky villager screams, and the village collectively begins to flee in the opposite direction from Dave, a decision that brings both of them to complete and utter safety within ten or so solid minutes of escaping.

John guesses he agrees to this thing, not that Mary's giving him an option.

"Great. Yeah. This isn't even the weirdest thing that has happened to me the last couple of days. See ya then, Mary. I'll try to keep James from getting into trouble and all that."

"Very good. I wish you more luck than I've had," Mary says, and a powerful peeling sound is suddenly audible as the void seems to retreat around the two.

"Wait, don't leave me!" James yells to the void.

"Happy trails, James."

And suddenly, the two men find themselves in the hospital, though it looks significantly different. It's lit, for one, and bustling with activity, no doubt due to the ongoing emergency efforts. A whole lot of nurses and doctors are at work, shuffling people to and fro, receiving patients, writing paperwork and generally keeping track of things, though seemingly not noticing the sudden materialization of two men in their midst. James currently looks quite crushed, and is silent.

Eta, walking down the street with Officer Rieux and Lois, agrees to call up Joan.

"Well, let's see if this can work then. No time like now to find out."

"Indeed. Hospital's not far now," the officer says as Eta fetches her phone from her purse.

It takes but a moment for Joan to reply. She sounds kind of funny, you think. A bit more drunk than a teenager should be at this hour.

"Hey! Who's this, now? I seem to be getting popular!" she says, the last as an aside to someone else, it seems.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 244