Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256058 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #3300 on: February 03, 2015, 08:50:57 am »

Larry shrugged again, with a bit more emphasis.  "You didn't seem to mind me.  Anyway, he wanted to ask you about magic."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3301 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:05 am »

"So if I paid someone to let me stay here, there would be no way for someone else to find me except for searching the entire block?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: February 03, 2015, 02:13:11 pm »

John scratches the pademelon gently behind the ears.

"Well, that's always a pretty weird feeling. Now what would you like to do, mister Pilton?"

+1 to affinity. Try to grab a new spell. Attempt to focus on the element 'eldritch'.

Spoiler: John (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: February 03, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »

Larry shrugged again, with a bit more emphasis.  "You didn't seem to mind me.  Anyway, he wanted to ask you about magic."

"That sounds like it'd be really tedious to talk about. What could be simpler than magic? You think, you get spells, and then cast them. There's leylines. And a nexus when you've got all of those. What's so hard to understand?"

"So if I paid someone to let me stay here, there would be no way for someone else to find me except for searching the entire block?"

"If you're not registered as an employee someplace, I would suppose not. But you're currently the single tourist in hell as far as I know, so that's not a large problem. The rest can easily be tracked via living assignments. Failing that, there's the paper trail as they pay off their hosts. And if a different arrangement is arrived at, their friends are often kind enough to point seekers in the right direction."

+1 to affinity. Try to grab a new spell. Attempt to focus on the element 'eldritch'.

Eldritch isn't an element. It's a property (or adjective), like Divine, Yellow or Tasty. You can't select those yet.

John scratches the pademelon gently behind the ears.

"Well, that's always a pretty weird feeling. Now what would you like to do, mister Pilton?"

"The business-minded idea would be to find more leylines, clearly. However, might be some amusement to be had in finding some kind of paranormal creature? I've heard a bit about demons, angels, that sort of thing, and I can't say I'm not intrigued, you know?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: February 03, 2015, 03:02:41 pm »

Larry shrugged, giving his shoulders quite the workout.  "You'd have to ask him that one.  He was quite interested about the... uh... outsider phenomena?  If you're not the person to talk to about it, do you know who is?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: February 03, 2015, 03:03:18 pm »

"The business-minded idea would be to find more leylines, clearly. However, might be some amusement to be had in finding some kind of paranormal creature? I've heard a bit about demons, angels, that sort of thing, and I can't say I'm not intrigued, you know?"

"I'll admit, paranormal creatures sound pretty rad. I'm getting rather intrigued about them as well, to be honest."

Darn, let's go with pademelon as element then.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:50 pm »

((So wait, if Divine isn't an element, what's the element in Breath of Divine Gentlemen's Literature?  Also, does that mean that Divine Angel [foo] is a valid spell combination?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: February 03, 2015, 03:25:53 pm »

Larry shrugged, giving his shoulders quite the workout.  "You'd have to ask him that one.  He was quite interested about the... uh... outsider phenomena?  If you're not the person to talk to about it, do you know who is?"

"Oh no, I know all about that. But let me ask you this, how fun is explaining the most basic of all basic shit to people you don't know in any way? More importantly, though, what do I get out of it?"

((So wait, if Divine isn't an element, what's the element in Breath of Divine Gentlemen's Literature?  Also, does that mean that Divine Angel [foo] is a valid spell combination?))

Gentlemen's Literature, and yes. It may be pertinent to mention that Demonic is also a valid property to apply to Angel.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »

Larry shrugged.  At this rate, he was going to pull a muscle.  "Fair enough.  What's a man like you want?  They've got booze I'm sure they'd offer you some of, but I bet that wouldn't cut it.  I could buy you pancakes somewhere?  What's a man like you looking for?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: February 03, 2015, 03:58:30 pm »

Larry shrugged.  At this rate, he was going to pull a muscle.  "Fair enough.  What's a man like you want?  They've got booze I'm sure they'd offer you some of, but I bet that wouldn't cut it.  I could buy you pancakes somewhere?  What's a man like you looking for?"

"Not much, I guess. Most things I could need I can conjure myself. Then again... hm... some knowledge might come in handy. Mind opening your mind up to me? I'd like to improve my imitation of a mortal a tad, and I feel like your memories might prove useful."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: February 03, 2015, 04:03:23 pm »

Larry shrugged again, doing it one shoulder at a time for variety.  "Uh, sure, whatever.  The green's a bit of a giveaway."

Sure, whatever.  No way this could go wrong.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: February 03, 2015, 04:11:11 pm »

Larry shrugged again, doing it one shoulder at a time for variety.  "Uh, sure, whatever.  The green's a bit of a giveaway."

Sure, whatever.  No way this could go wrong.

You stare at each other for a moment. You feel like you have worms in your brain despite there technically being no way to sense such a thing.

"Hm. The surface look does seem pretty enlightening. Mind if I take some of the less relevant stuff? Like childhood memories, school, that kind of stuff. Would like to peruse that on my own time. Fascinating, really. I could reimburse you with a cool spell or two if you give me, say, the first fifteen years of your life. Or the five years around the cusp of puberty, even. Maybe give you the spell to emulate or transform into something impressive?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: February 03, 2015, 04:23:46 pm »

Larry started to shrug, but stopped.  For once, that rare moment of restraint kicked in.  "Take it?  Not make a copy?  Gonna have to say no there, pal.  I'll give you an hour or so to spend in my head, if you like."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: February 03, 2015, 04:31:07 pm »

Larry started to shrug, but stopped.  For once, that rare moment of restraint kicked in.  "Take it?  Not make a copy?  Gonna have to say no there, pal.  I'll give you an hour or so to spend in my head, if you like."

"I can't make an entirely adequate copy of something I do not fully understand, now, can I? There's just so many delicate layers to all this knowledge, all the minute connections. But an hour does sound reasonable enough. One hour in your head, and I go with you to the Oldthinker and give him the dirt he wants."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: February 03, 2015, 04:34:17 pm »

Larry nodded, for variety.  "Okay.  Have fun, and uh... don't break anything."

Zone out for an hour.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 244