Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Pigeons & Prejudice: Definitely deceased.  (Read 22415 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Lady Katherine Montagu clumsily regained her feet for the first and a half time, recovering from the dreadful spill she had been subjected to (for surely, she assured herself, this misfortune was not indicative of her own dancing skill (which had progressed nicely since the last ball, as evidenced by that last dance which had gone quite well right up until that last bit) but rather the sinister interference of a romantic rival or possibly an incompetent peasant, and really, is there not an innate peasantry to such gauche decor, as she had very nearly implied to Miss Villar earlier this very evening?)

Yes, as Lady Montagu escaped the tortuous warren of her own ladypigeon mind she found herself once more upright, terrestrial, and the center of attention, except instead of the approbation she had received for her thrashing of a peasant at the last ball, she experienced the new and rather less wondrous feeling of shame and public humiliation. Oh, the pain of it all! Oh, the denigration! Oh, the general air of politely-expressed disapproval!

But wait! Captain Arbury... seemed to be smiling? And not just smiling; many other attendees were, in Lady Montagu's mind, hiding their slight sneers behind their hands and no doubt making less than flattering comments about Lady Montagu and ladypigeonkind in general, but Captain Arbury's seeming smile did not appear accusatory or acrimonious. Rather, he very nearly almost smiled as if he had seen something that interested him, something which amused him.

But what Lady Montagu wondered, What could he be liking at a time such as this? Perhaps he is not even- no, no I will not give the slightest credence to the thought that his approval is in my mind only, for if that is true, then all is lost, and I have nothing left but to throw myself into the Glowing Green Stream and be done with it. No, there must be something here. Perhaps he does not like chandeliers (and understandably so, for indeed they are the most base and peasantish form of illumination.) Perhaps he secretly admires pigeonkind, and thinks my display of flight to be rather astounding? Oh my stars, perhaps while I was flying about above him he got a clear view of my-

Before Lady Montagu could finish her potential titillating thought, she realized that she had been inner monologuing for perhaps a bit longer than is socially acceptable when one is the subject of public attention. Wasting no time, she chose her favorite supposition- the second one- and forged on bravely.

"I do hope you enjoyed that dance move, Captain Arbury," Lady Montagu cooed in what she hoped was a confident and convincing manner, "for I would never have dared such a display if I had not been in your capable hands for that first bit. It is not a style I get the opportunity to practice often, I must confess; it does require a chandelier to execute, and I've never liked them anyway, wouldn't you agree?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Pigeons & Prejudice: Lady Crikeyton's Murder Mystery
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:45 pm »

Chapter Three – The Second Ball.

"I do hope you enjoyed that dance move, Captain Arbury," Lady Montagu cooed in what she hoped was a confident and convincing manner, "for I would never have dared such a display if I had not been in your capable hands for that first bit. It is not a style I get the opportunity to practice often, I must confess; it does require a chandelier to execute, and I've never liked them anyway, wouldn't you agree?"

”Oh, I declare!” declared Captain Arbury, immediately feeling rather foolish at such a strong and out of place expression of sentiment, one that might be fit for the battlefield but certainly was not proper for a chandelier-strewn murder scene, ”I have the most fervent loathing of chandeliers, such that it is difficult to put into words. I once brushed against a chandelier by the merest of accidents and frothed at the mouth for a week. I... I shall not speak further of this, for it is rather distressing.”

...The beautiful captain took on a determined brooding expression, and he gazed at the wall behind Lady Montagu's shoulder as if lost in a painful reverie, as if being taken on an unwelcome journey bound in a horse and carriage through the dead of night to the site of a long-forgotten hideously brutal beating, of which one still bears the disfiguring physical scars but of which one had cleansed away the emotional general unpleasantness of it all.

Just then the ensemble, briefly, began to play, a charming but inconsequential little waltz by the Frenchman Henri Lenu.

Captain Arbury likes you slightly more!

She walks over to Mr Garret Pinkerton-Smyth, waggling her not unnoticeable tail feathers.

In the immediate silence following the horrendous declaration of Lady Meyerschmidt-Crikeyton’s most frightful murder, Miss Charlotte Fantail, both appalled but also very much relieved not to have met a similar fate, which she had not been aware was such a regular occurrence at human balls, began to notice things in the room in a heightened state of perception, which she would later put down to her unexpected near-death experience. The thing she noticed most was the rather splendidly-built human specimen floating about the throng of men in a delightful white dancing jacket. Mr Pinkerton-Smyth, for it was he, seemed of an indeterminate age, and was striking in his greasy blonde hair, with large eyes perfectly off-setting his normal size.

Little was known of this handsome man to our courageous band of pigeonladies: it was rumoured that he had an irrational hatred of arson, and was as adept at dancing as he was firm and muscular to the touch; Charlotte’s heart fairly fluttered as she breathed towards him. She had rarely felt so aflutter, in fact: surely this was a gentleman worth the effort of approaching, so she did.

"I don't believe we've had the pleasure, good sir. Would you care to dance?"

...Unknown to Miss Fantail, Pinkerton-Smyth had to draw in a breath, a breath of prejudice, in fact, and hold back his initial reaction – yet this was an easy thing to do, for his initial reaction was somewhat overruled by another, baser and, perhaps, more primal reaction.

This young pigeonlady before him was beautiful; no matter what he thought about her pigeonhood, his own state of being a man, an Englishman, no less, could not deny that she was of an extraordinary beauty.

”I would be privileged to enjoy the next dance with you, miss…?”

”Miss Fantail, sir, at your service.”

”Honoured, Miss Fantail, if I can call you thus,” and he held out his hand to lead her onto the floor, just as the band struck up a lively but not particularly profound waltz that to Charlotte’s ear was as great and angelic as anything she had heard hithertofore.

The dancing was, unfortunately, brief, but not entirely as inconsequential as the music to which they danced. It was true that Mr Pinkerton-Smyth was a rather accomplished dancer; he led Charlotte with an expertise that warmed something deep within her, brought a mild blush to her cheek, a slight rush to her little ladybrain and, as they span and whirled, she could not help but remark that his reputation for being firm and muscular to the touch was very much deserved.

Mr Pinkerton-Smyth likes you slightly more!

...Let us DANCE.

"T-that's... that's honourable," said Miss Alessa Thain to her companion, Miss Arcy, "Where we come from, we'd break and examine the scene for… well, to honour her passing."

”Really? Oh. Tremendous,” said Miss Arcy, a little distractedly, holding Miss Thain’s wingtip as the pair proceeded to the dance floor before adding a dainty, ”I say.”

She said I say with the spirit of a true Englishwoman; a higher type of woman who loves nothing more than to say I say, and, often, to say it in the most heartfelt manner; but it was soon evident that on this occasion her heart was not quite in it: as the musicians started on their waltz, a rather insistent but drab piece that had terribly little to recommend it, thought Alessa, it seemed to her that poor Miss Arcy did not seem to be entirely in the moment, and seemed to dance as if her mind were elsewhere, perhaps shot back to the recent past by the shock of nearby bloodshed, perhaps wallowing once more in the strange sadness humans seemed to feel when their close relations have pistol cleaning accidents in lonely and deserted woodland. This led to a stilted performance from the young lady, and it was impossible for Miss Thain – not what one might consider a leading light in the art of pigeondancing herself, she would be the first to admit – to enter into a deep and dance-filled trance of motion, and light, and sound whilst entertaining the thought at the back of her mind that Miss Arcy was, perhaps, not quite enjoying the experience.

It was not that the human was actively not-enjoying it, but, Alessa thought, in a flash of perception, that she was finding the experience a dull one; no; that she was finding the very act of breathing, or twirling, of being alive, a flat, grey, joyless experience: as if she would rather not be.

...And so, when the music of a sudden stopped, abrupt and perturbing, disappointed as she was Alessa was not upset, and was in a way contented that the dance was over, and that she had to bear Miss Arcy’s grief no longer.

Action: Convince everyone I'm totally innocent of the crime I might apparently have committed. Surely a gentleman will comfort my distress!

"Oh, oui, oh, horrible!" cooed Dame De Oiseau, in a particularly outrageous accent that she hoped might be found somewhat alluring by the more adventurous human menfolk in the ballroom, "Oh, I feel so fainted..."

She was about to claim, with total conviction, that it was not she that had been in the library, murdering her poor hostess – it was probably some other, even more foreign, or possibly simply poor, type, and that she herself, indeed, had been almost as terribly wounded by having been made to witness such a terrible thing as the violently mangled corpse of such a beloved (although, it had often been remarked, somewhat backward in the area of domestic decoration) ladypigeon, when she totally convinced none other than herself, and promptly fainted with distress.

...The band, who had until now been playing a rather whimsical yet fraught little waltz, immediately stopped; as one the entire ballroom turned to where Dame Diane lay splayed on the floor, collapsed in a pile of canapés expressing some variation or other on the theme of the noble tomato – a magnificently proportioned local delicacy since the disaster that was so rarely alluded to; and then, when the poor ladypigeon recovered her wits and hopped nimbly yet confusedly to her feet, the nearby ensemble of ladies – both human and pigeon – as one shrieked, with a deafening piercing shriek that might wake the dead, or deafen a pelican or, as they used to say in Limoges before the Great Dying, thought Dame Diane, curdle yoghurt.

”Blood!” wailed the assembled ladyfolk, ”Blood! Murder! Catastrophe! Simply awful! What... What a terrible terrible waste!”

And, indeed, it was: for not only was the band stopped in full waltzian flow, but Dame Diane De Oiseau's dress was, it appeared to be the case, ruined. From beak to toe she was covered in the despondent remnants of tomato-based canapé.

She looked down the length of her breast, and joined several other young ladies in commendably fainting upon the floor.

Seeing that a young lady's dress had been horrendously set upon by a staining foodstuff, the musicians looked amongst themselves, unsure of whether it would be correct or not to continue, and in the mumbling semi-silence our heroic ladypigeons took the chance, or not, as the case may be, to interrogate their chosen humanfolks at slightly greater depth – although some, of course, merely mulled about, waiting for the breath of music to breathe life once more into them, to illuminate the night with its light and waftful joy, and to lead their minds astray, far from the frightful events of the evening until then.

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons & Prejudice: Lady Crikeyton's Murder Mystery?
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2014, 04:51:43 am »

Charlotte giggles, if not demurely, then at the least, demonstrably.

"Oh Mr Pinkerton-Smyth, you are a delightful dancer. Very masterful indeed. You must have been to a great many balls. Oh you must tell me about them!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2014, 04:56:41 pm »

Fine french silk ruined by poor English tomatoes, the lady thought in distress! She must find a new habit, anonce!

"Excusi! Excusi! Mi camisa!" She said, making her way to the exits and accidentally lapsing into a strange mix of Italian and Spanish.

Action: Excuse myself from the game-time to purchase a new dress, and pronto
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2014, 10:37:24 am »

*death bump*
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:53 am »

((It's my Finals exams and sorry la and Dwarmin and co.!! Dx))

Perturbing...
It was curiosity that filled Alessa's mind in the silent clamor that rang through the ballroom. The announcer was now speaking in a mix of tongues she recognized as the more...eloquent of the human speech, probably a sign of good fortune or that whoever had hosted this ball was of true social connaisseuret, and yet her partner was in what she inferred was as a reflection of the late-and-now-deceased-most-likely Mister Arcy. She was not exuding the vibrance she had when she entered the ballroom, though the pigeon connected that to the lack of water streaming from her eyes, but it was with the space that filled the waking moment.

The dance was over. Miss Arcy's woes were not for her to bear, though she did wonder if that was the result of her own upbringing or her forays into human empathetics and philosophy that brought her to that subconscious conclusion.

The other pigeons, she would daresay, were also enthralled in the ending of the ball--for the unconventional stances and demeanor of most were appropriately either parallel to the construct of the floor, or were talking amongst the human-friends. It was quite a restful respite, the silence.

Yet she knew there was a thing that was always said when people parted--pigeon or human--but she couldn't get the thought out at this very moment.

She stepped up to Miss Arcy and patted her shoulder, giving her the best gesture of enjoyment and endearment towards her, before finding that man she had thought about before--remembering that one person she had mused upon when writing in her diary: Reverend Halfton.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »

*death bump*

Thanks Dwarmin - I did the wrong game though.

edit: haha I meant to type updated, not did, but spelt it wrong. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:21:36 pm by lawastooshort »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2014, 04:05:53 pm »

This thing ain't ded. :I

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »

Sometimes games die, and that's okay. I've let things I've ran quietly drop. I just wanted to say Lawas, this game made me laugh and engaged my friends that I kept updated with Charlotte's progress. Even if it doesn't progress any further, I'd chalk that up as a minor victory.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2014, 04:31:17 pm »

...I think I parsed la's statement wrong then...oops. :X

Well, if it is...as it is, then I've to say this was a GREAT game. Somehow inspired me to write in my higher-formalized tone that I didn't think (or currently don't think) I have when writing. Such a motivating story which sets the right atmosphere that my fingers drift across the keyboard, as if it was but child's play.

I'd chalk this up as a victory, if on the players' side, that is. :)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »

Oh god what - I go away for an hour and was moderately misinterpreted :)

All I meant was that Dwarmin made me actually update, which I haven't because I don't have much time off, and decided to use it to play computer games this week, but unfortunately for you I updated my other game.

Given the past speed of updates this is totally on track.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2014, 07:13:28 pm »

Given the past speed of updates this is totally on track.
This is pleasing  :)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons & Prejudice: A Terrible Misunderstanding
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2014, 08:27:51 pm »

I like how the title reflects the everything of this turn. :P

And *cheer* it isn't dead! :D
Hi NQT!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2014, 02:53:09 am »

I'll um... I'll try to update this. Sorry everyone.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2014, 10:49:13 am »

Lady Montagu perks up as the next waltz begins to play; though never much of a practitioner, nor, indeed, a dabbler in the musical arts, even her untrained ear could recognize the endearing-yet-mindless appeal of a Lenu waltz. His compositions all shared a distinct quality which reminded Lady Montagu of the deer which drank from the Glowing Green Stream and forevermore stumbled about the forest, slack of jaw and drooling on treebark, but in an overall contented sort of way, and in fact the same sort of way Lady Montagu imagined all Frenchmen stumbled about.

"Oh, I do so enjoy this song." Lady Montagu sighed, idly smoothing her feathers. "Might I ask you for another dance, Captain Arbury?"

oh god I am so very very tardyyyyy
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14