Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289138 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #300 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:20 am »

Another SpaceX F9R 1km flight test video. It now has small deployable fins for increased control (looks like mostly for roll control).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLBIdVg3EM
It was really cool seeing the fins pop out like that, I thought the bottom ones were the ones referred to. Also, they keep cows that close to the pad?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 20, 2014, 03:27:18 pm »

Another SpaceX F9R 1km flight test video. It now has small deployable fins for increased control (looks like mostly for roll control).
It was really cool seeing the fins pop out like that, I thought the bottom ones were the ones referred to. Also, they keep cows that close to the pad?

Wow that was the coolest rocket video I have ever soon. Mostly because it means that we really -are- going to get reusable rockets and man that thing landed so perfectly.

Wouldn't you want BBQ after your first successful reusable rocket test flight?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 20, 2014, 03:32:00 pm »

I kinda hope the ESA gets it's stuff together. Sure, their rockets (and generally the entire program) has been quality/science over everything else, but there's a limit to what people want to pay for a slightly more precise orbital insertion.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 20, 2014, 03:35:27 pm »

Wow that was the coolest rocket video I have ever soon. Mostly because it means that we really -are- going to get reusable rockets and man that thing landed so perfectly.

Wouldn't you want BBQ after your first successful reusable rocket test flight?
Use rocketfuel for the fire?

Nothing better than fresh cooked cow from the rocket launch!

But yeah what they should do instead of blowing up a mountain is dump a telescope into a lagrange point.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 20, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »

The European Southern Observatory (which sometimes blows up mountains*) is not related to the ESA (which designs rockets).

*We'll put them back. Promise

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 20, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

They were also going to launch another F9 v1.1 today, with half a dozen OrbComm satellites onboard. That has been postponed, with a t -6 minute abort due to odd pressure readings in the second stage. I haven't seen it fully clarified, but I think they're probably going to try another soft ocean landing, and may actually get better footage than their previous stuff they got from a pizza-dish cobbled together into a radio receiver on an aircraft. :P

Edit: Oh right, I forgot I never posted how they got the footage from their previous ocean landing.
http://shitelonsays.com/transcript/spacex-dragon-2-unveil-qa-2014-05-29
As far as the soft landing of the boost phase, it was interesting, when we got the corrupted video back, because we really actually had a real difficult time getting the telemetry. In fact, I'll tell you a funny thing. We actually had to - because normally we get the bulk of the telemetry from a boat. We also have a backup, an AP3 that was going to go up, and the P3 got iced up, the boats couldn't go out, so I sent my plane up with my pilots, and... we had to design and fabricate an antenna that exactly fit in the window of the plane. We started off with a pizza dish and we were able to do a double loop antenna with a pizza dish and point it out the window to get the link. The data came through really well but the video was corrupted because unfortunately when you compress video, it's hard to uncorrupt a compressed video because you actually have to figure out the compression algorithms and all these things, so we weren't able to get very far, but we put the video up online and then we crowd sourced the cleanup of the video and people did a really great job of fixing it. "I actually tweeted out a link to the latest thing. Mostly the people on the NASA Spaceflight forum were able to fix the video."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:49:36 pm by alway »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2014, 03:02:39 am »

Got a link to that video?
Magma is overrated.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2014, 03:14:32 am »

Well, SpaceX published some video from that landing over the ocean.
"raw" version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8H8OlJ3o8
"cleaned up" version (it's really not much better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er66BActC4E
As far as I can tell, it's showing the last few seconds, as it fires up the engines for the final time as it landed on the ocean. Don't get your hopes up for any better quality; the craft itself wasn't able to be recovered (it sank long before the recovery craft was able to get there), so any onboard memory of the video is gone.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 11, 2014, 05:10:58 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4649423.stm

NASA sued by astrologer for changing horoscope.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 11, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »

bbc

nasa is an acronym

what the fuck are you doing

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 11, 2014, 06:40:21 pm »

How the hell did that get in my goolge news thingy. It happened before, but why?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2014, 07:52:30 am »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2014, 10:08:25 am »

Rosetta is the name of the probe though, the comet's name is 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko .

This will make landing the probe a bit more interesting though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »

And then, in a sudden twist of fate, an engineer's mistake means the probe too is binary! A match made in heaven!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2014, 01:14:20 pm »

Rosetta is the name of the probe though

I meant "The comet that is the target of ('belongs to') the Rosetta probe", since I didn't actually know what it was called. Thank you for providing the name.

I can see landing the probe being significantly harder now, yes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 232