Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290377 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1095 on: September 27, 2015, 10:40:17 pm »

It's cloudy where I'm at too. :'(
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 27, 2015, 10:55:06 pm »

A bit hazy here, but could have been worse.

However, Ladies and Gentlemen (and Others Of Whom I Have So Far Not Sufficiently Described Their Personal Gender Identification To Their Full Satisfaction): An announcement!

I have played loud music;
I have banged numerous drums and drumlike objects;
I have cried and wailed to the gods;
I have sacrificed several slices of Battenburg cake to the cause (in lieu of the various traditional examples of livestock, that I couldn't get hold of at such short notice, but I'm sure it amounts to the same)
...and now, I am very pleased to announce, I have frightened away the giant space-clam that was intent on devouring our moon, and it is in the process of (slowly, but surely) regurgitating our celestial companion.

But I do not do this to strive for your adulation.  Just the usual gold, jewels and selection of scantily clad courtesans, thank you.

No rush, of course.  Before the end of the week will do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: September 27, 2015, 10:59:15 pm »

hooray your actions coincided with something else and thus must be the cause

my worship is yours

EDIT: sorry i just realized how difficult the tone of my voice is to ascertain here

i'm not elaborating though

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1098 on: September 28, 2015, 02:18:36 am »

NASA TO CONFIRM HALF-LIFE 3

HYPE

edt:

Yep, it's official. Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:07:10 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 28, 2015, 11:48:21 am »

So with possible microorganism fossils in martian meteorites, unexplained methane production, and now confirmed liquid water, life on Mars is looking more and more likely. We probably won't be able to say definitively until either a sample return or a manned mission, but this is pretty exciting news.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1100 on: September 28, 2015, 01:06:46 pm »

I wish I could have seen the Eclipse, but it was after 2am and I had to get up for Uni.

Martian water! Whoo! I did a little jig in my chair when I saw that.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 28, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »

Sounds like one of the rovers needs to scoot its' adorable droid butt over to one of these dark streaks and start sampling.

That, or build a new rover geared around looking for water and land it in one of these regions.

Spoiler: Also... (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 28, 2015, 01:34:15 pm »

Sounds like one of the rovers needs to scoot its' adorable droid butt over to one of these dark streaks and start sampling.
I hear they're not allowed to do that, because they weren't sufficiently sterilised and might bring contaminants with them.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 28, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »

I hear they're not allowed to do that, because they weren't sufficiently sterilised and might bring contaminants with them.
What, space herpes? I thought the whole idea was that we were sterilizing the hell out of anything we sent, just to avoid killing martians with common-grade soil bacteria and the like? Plus that whole "being exposed to intense unfiltered UV radiation on a daily basis" thing.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 28, 2015, 01:55:31 pm »

Oh, that happens, but its not enough to be sure to get all of them.

Hardy little buggers.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 28, 2015, 01:59:36 pm »

So like, did space herpes colonize Mars before we will? :?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 28, 2015, 02:19:58 pm »

What, space herpes? I thought the whole idea was that we were sterilizing the hell out of anything we sent, just to avoid killing martians with common-grade soil bacteria and the like? Plus that whole "being exposed to intense unfiltered UV radiation on a daily basis" thing.

http://www.nature.com/news/microbial-stowaways-to-mars-identified-1.15249
Although spacecraft go through multiple cleaning steps to ensure that they bear no biological contaminants, previous reports suggest that Curiosity project developers did not follow these planetary protection protocols to the letter. The regulations are a safeguard; whether microbes can tolerate conditions on the surface of Mars is still unknown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/29/science/space/mars-life-liquid-water.html?_r=0
Even though R.S.L.s appear to be some of the most intriguing features on Mars, NASA has no plans to get a close-up look anytime soon.

R.S.L.s are treated as special regions that NASA’s current robotic explorers are barred from because the rovers were not thoroughly sterilized, and NASA worries that they might be carrying microbial hitchhikers from Earth that could contaminate Mars.

Of the spacecraft NASA has sent to Mars, only the two Viking landers in 1976 were baked to temperatures hot enough to kill Earth microbes. NASA’s next Mars rover, scheduled to launch in 2020, will be no cleaner. Sterilizing spacecraft, which requires electronics and systems that can withstand the heat of baking, adds to the cost and complicates the design.

Tl;dr;
The pre-launch sterilisation process of the currently active robotic explorers (even if done by the book) is not invasive enough to kill all bacteria, and it is unknown whether space travel would kill all of those that remained. And if you're not certain they're all dead, you have to assume they're not.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 28, 2015, 02:23:47 pm »

Only logical answer is to build the probe in vacuum.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 28, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »

If vacuum was enough to ensure they all died it wouldn't be an issue.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 28, 2015, 03:41:52 pm »

Still not enough. You've heard of Deinococcus radiodurans right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 232