Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289118 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1110 on: September 28, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »

Still not enough. You've heard of Deinococcus radiodurans right?
I first read that as Deinonychus radiodurans. Which would be infinitely more awesome. And dangerous.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 28, 2015, 03:55:13 pm »

Vacuum filled with radon, radium, uranium, plutonium... everything radioactive!
B-but if it's filled, is it really vacuum?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 28, 2015, 03:57:45 pm »

That's why I propose that instead of us halting for decades (even centuries if things keep this phase) our space program, otherworldly colonizations efforts, which are vital to our continued existence as species, to argue about the well being of some microbes that might or might not exist. We simply fucking go there with as many precautions as possible without being this ridiculous and check if they are over there as a side quest of the main fucking purpose of this, spreading ourselves to other planets and eventually the stars.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 28, 2015, 04:09:04 pm »

That's why I propose that instead of us halting for decades (even centuries if things keep this phase) our space program, otherworldly colonizations efforts, which are vital to our continued existence as species, to argue about the well being of some microbes that might or might not exist. We simply fucking go there with as many precautions as possible without being this ridiculous and check if they are over there as a side quest of the main fucking purpose of this, spreading ourselves to other planets and eventually the stars.
The thing is, finding living organisms (even bacteria or viruses) on another celestial body would be beyond huge because of the ramifications. So you really, really, really want to be sure it's a legit find and not something that stowed away.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 28, 2015, 04:11:29 pm »

Although the chance that the Earth and Mars share the same origin of life are already quite high, what with our habit to throw rocks at each others for billions of years.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 28, 2015, 04:31:50 pm »

...but if we send people to find the things, rather than just (at least theoretically) sterile robots, we might end up discovering Mars is a prime location to find something like e. coli areosalutor (or possibly ...areopervasor), suspiciously close to the manned station's 'privy' module.

(FAKEEDITd, "...and" to "...but" and thus also...)

As long as we don't end up masking any unrelated 'biologies', or falsely resetting the Most Recent Common Ancestor point in the timeline.  Either (genuine) result would be very interesting to learn about, if true (and also quite interesting if we could be sure that there was nothing there at all, before we got our mucky mitts on the place, rather than getting large error bars on the 'maybe we put it there, maybe we didn't...' confusion.

But doing the equivalent of washing up on an 'unexplored' pacific island to find that the natives are all blond-haired, blue-eyed descendents of a European shipwreck1 a century before, having totally wiped out any of the original polynesian culture... 

As to the 'need' for making off-world colonies.  I support the "not all eggs in one basket" purpose to them.  Obviously requiring that the colony(/ies) be self-supporting, and then obviously risking political separatism as per just about every decent space-opera (and quite a few not decent ones), but thus we ensure that the unspotted Big One asteroid (or a mad-man with a hand on a quite sinister red-hued button) doesn't send us back to the stone-age (or irrecoverably beyond).

1 That included some women, obviously.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 06, 2015, 10:54:39 am »

For those who like stargazing, or those who would like to finally see and easily identify most of the observable planets, there's a nice alignment coming, starting from about now and lasting for about a month.

Venus, Mars and Jupiter are nearly on the same line of sight as seen from Earth, so their separation on the sky is very small - they're visible roughly in the same place in the sky.

One needs to look towards the Eastern sky, low over the horizon, about an hour before sunrise - 5-6 A.M. Just below the constellation of Leo.
There'll be four bright objects arranged in a line there, the brightest one being Venus, the next-brightest being Jupiter, and the two remaining ones: Mars and the star Regulus. They're both of similar brightness, but Mars can be distinguished from the star by its visibly reddish hue.

In the next three or so days, a crescent Moon will also pass through by the whole shebang, returning once again next month.

The closest apparent approach of the planets will be more or less half-way through this period, with Mars and Jupiter passing extremely close to each other - less than the Moon's face width - on 17th-18th of October, Venus and Jupiter on the 26th, and Mars and Venus on November the 3rd.
That's three conjunctions in three weeks' span, which is cool and very rare.

All three planets will be the most bunched-up together on 23rd and 29th of October.
Should you find yourself up this early in the coming weeks, you might want to take a look to the sky.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:56:21 am by Il Palazzo »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 06, 2015, 11:47:55 am »

Care to give a location for those predictions? That sounds really cool, but if you are in a different time zone/location then I obviously might need to look at a different time or slightly different place.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 06, 2015, 12:34:47 pm »

No, your location doesn't matter much. You'll just see roughly the same thing a few hours later/earlier than your friends in other parts of the world (i.e. it's always an hour or two before the sunrise).

Depending on your latitude you might get better/worse visibility due to the angle the line of planets makes with the horizon.

Anyhow, here's a useful tool for finding out where and what to look for:
http://neave.com/planetarium/
Set your location, set the time to the morning hours, and look towards the Eastern sky. Then advance time daily for about a month.

edit: the location (latitude) matters insofar as to what time it is when it's 'an hour or two before sunrise'.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:40:50 pm by Il Palazzo »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 06, 2015, 12:43:23 pm »

Fair enough, I probably should have realized that on a bit more thought. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 10, 2015, 03:07:25 am »

Why havnt we gone back to the moon?  ???
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 10, 2015, 03:13:57 am »

Why havnt we gone back to the moon?  ???

As there is no real pressure (either scientific or political) to do so. What would be the point?
This is a blank sig.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 10, 2015, 03:19:48 am »

Helium 3
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 10, 2015, 04:48:14 am »

Helium 3
Alright. What would you use it for?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 10, 2015, 05:46:52 am »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 232