Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289121 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1215 on: October 17, 2015, 03:07:02 am »

So... That Wolf... I see quite a few potential separate stories in what you wrote.  Some I know about, some I wasn't aware of.

Spider goats aren't that new.  There's a whole... herd, flock... whatever the collective noun is of goats... being milked and their milk processed to extract the spider-silk protein which we've learnt to tease into our own spider-silk, in quantities way beyond those we could ever have farmed from actual spiders.  (Yes, we also do that.)

It's potentially good stuff for body armour, and thus (doubtless) space-suits.

If one escaped, that's perhaps of concern if there's local wild goats (or a separate escape out of/unescape into another captive group of goats without anyone realising) and enter their family tree, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

We can breed humans (slower than we can goats, and potentially with more complaints) but I'm not sure what we'd do for space.  Nocturnal vision would be less useful than some form of chitinous (or silk?) exoskeleton, if you mean for actual space, rather than microgravity, in which case make sure you add strengthened membranes and sphincters to the list.  Night-vision would also be less useful than enhanced UV filters for the eye (and, if not already dealt with by the other enhancements, skin).

The colossal blob of liquid water is news to me.  You're not thinking of the (salty) liquid water on Mars thing, are you?

Sorry...  ...are you!!! ;)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 17, 2015, 03:09:12 am »

I think he's having an aneurism. Is there a doctor in the room?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 17, 2015, 03:45:49 am »

Yeah the water blob is real, beautiful too its estimated to be more than our planets water.
the escaping spidergoat was a joke

Anurisim pffh you cant blood cloot ur brain if you dont have one
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1218 on: October 17, 2015, 04:04:59 am »

Yeah the water blob is real

Source? Since the cosmic background temperature is below freezing, water vapourises in a vacuum, and I can't find any references to extraterrestrial bodies comprised purely of liquid water. There's an exoplanet comprised almost entirely of water (GJ 1214b), but as far as I (or anyone) can tell there's little way to know what phase the majority of that water is in - it could be quite a number of things, including exotic forms of ice and some fascinating fluids. All that's known for sure is that the atmosphere seems to be mainly water vapour and the density seems to be consistent with it being 75% or so (I'm not entirely sure. It's an exoplanet, so nobody actually knows very much) water. There's also a quasar surrounded by an immense quantity of water vapour, but that's vapour.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 17, 2015, 12:12:06 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what motivates your distrust of them? I mean, it does sound like something their government would do, but is there really that much incentive for them to risk other countries debunking their claims?
No, mate. It was a joke. I'm firmly in the Mitchell&Webb camp.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 17, 2015, 06:50:56 pm »

I like how people insist on explaining how space works.
Its probably still formed together cause its alive or has an atmosphere, my source doesnt want to be mentioned but she wishes you well.
I just started typing it in google and it finished my sentence so you obviously didnt even bother looking.
Im not wiki bro.
Question the blob but not the aliens.
Humans are stupid
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 17, 2015, 07:47:58 pm »

Now I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I think That Wolf is a NWO shill.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 17, 2015, 08:04:45 pm »

sorry

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 17, 2015, 08:36:40 pm »

huh?
Oh yeah, the first attempt at a chimera was a spider goat, it escaped no big deal /sarcasm

We should breed a species of human for space, give them nocturnal vision maybe

because it's dark in space amirite? lol.

It's not actually dark in space. It's only "dark" if you're in the shadow of a planet. e.g. on Earth, at night-time.

The same sun shines on you in space as in the daytime on Earth, except brighter (no atmosphere) and almost the time. There's no day/night cycle, unless you're on an orbit which takes you behind a planet, and even then, in Earth orbit, Earth will look much smaller, but the sun will be almost the exact same size (since it's very far away), so the amount of time that the Earth is blocking the sun drops exponentially as you move away from the Earth even a little bit. You'd find that night-time is a very small percentage of the time in high Earth orbit. Plus, at space scales what you can see with the naked eye is almost useless.

Maybe if we sail out of the solar system night-vision would make sense, but there's even less to see out there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:52:50 pm by Reelya »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 17, 2015, 08:45:02 pm »

There is a thing called Occam's Razor which is an idea that the theory with the least amount of assumptions is more often correct.

For example, to explain how the stonehenge was built, I'll go with two theories:

1. Humans built up dirt in a mound and dug a hole in the middle. They then dragged the stones and placed them into the holes and removed the dirt. Repeated for every stone.

2. Aliens did it.

While it seems that theory 2 has fewer assumptions. You have to assume that:
1. Aliens exist
2. Aliens are technologically advanced enough to come to earth.
3. Aliens used all of their fantastical technology to build stuff out of rocks.
4. The Aliens don't want to come here anymore.

There are much more assumptions than that, but you get the idea. Aliens are not the least assumption theory.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 17, 2015, 08:55:56 pm »

Well you're making equal but opposite assumptions:

1. Aliens don't exist
2. Aliens aren't technologically advanced enough to come to earth.
3. Aliens didn't used all of their fantastical technology to build stuff out of rocks.
4. The Aliens would want to come here anymore.

Ever thought about that, Smugface McSciencePants?

How far away is the thing anyway? Could we just hurl a probe at it and find out in a few hundred years?

Could a probe actually transmit any data back from another star?

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/didyouknow.html

Here it seems to say the signal strength from Voyager when it was at Neptune was 10^-16 watts. Let's assume that this is our target signal strength for an interstellar probe.

Call the distance to Neptune as a rough 4 billion km. Another ball-park figure for simplicity, let's 1 lightyear = ~9.5 trillion km. Alpha Centauri is ~4.4 ly away, so is on the order of 40 trillion km away, or 10000 times further away than Neptune. Since signal falls off at distance2, then a voyager-strength signal at Alpha Centauri distance would be 100 million times weaker than the same signal at Neptune.

Since that's only for the very-closest star, returning a singal from anywhere remotely further away would need a singal that's on the order of billions or trillions of times stronger than our current probe transmitters. If we assume that the probe has a 1-metre square solar panel to power the signal, and assuming that it's 100% energy efficient, that's basically like having a 1-metre across star of the same magnitude of the parent star where the probe is. You can imagine how hard it would be to detect such a signal. Perhaps the probe can have a battery to store up the solar energy, then send signal back in pulses? It would definitely be more likely to receive such a signal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:34:51 pm by Reelya »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 17, 2015, 09:14:46 pm »

I am not saying that. Rather, I am assuming that the ancient humans built the stonehenge in the manner I described. We already know for a fact that they were able.

There may be aliens, but assuming that they did build the stonehenge requires more assumptions than if humans built it.

I hope I'm making sense.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 17, 2015, 09:32:49 pm »

I was being sarcastic, but it's still true that for each positive assumption of the opposing theory, you must make an equal number of negative assumptions ("X" vs "not X"), so you have to show why your "not X" is of greater value than "X".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 17, 2015, 10:36:36 pm »

Except that he doesn't. The base assumption (existence of aliens) doesn't in any way affect the ability of humans to drag stones into holes and dig away the dirt around them, nor do any of the assumptions which follow. All that's necessary is to disprove that alien intervention was necessary to construct Stonehenge, which is done by proving it to be possible with nothing more than the materials, tools, and knowledge of humans in the appropriate time and place. Even if aliens actually came to Earth and built the pyramids, that doesn't mean that humans couldn't have built Stonehenge. All you need to do is show that you don't need "aliens" to explain the construction of Stonehenge.

Aliens existing does not preclude the possibility of Stonehenge being built solely by humans; it being possible for humans of the time to build Stonehenge does eliminate the conclusion of "ayy lmaos did it" as a reasonable explanation for the construction of Stonehenge because it introduces needless complications which aren't particularly falsifiable--you might as well replace all instances of "aliens" with "God" and it wouldn't change anything about the argument.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 17, 2015, 11:23:14 pm »

Now I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I think That Wolf is a NWO shill.
Ignore this, you saw nothing continue with your regulary scheduled posting. Thank you.

Occams razor? Are you serious. Stonehenge is an art peice made by people for aweing and partying within.
I led with nocturnal vision transhumans because its the least offensive and it would save power on the ship.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 232