Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290329 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2325 on: June 21, 2017, 03:41:18 pm »

The MUCH more realistic option is to just move the Earth.

It's not very realistic, but you know, whatever might work. Assuming we're still around to be bothered about it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: June 21, 2017, 06:32:12 pm »

How common are stray planets, without stars to orbit? How likely is it that life could arise on a planet like that, powered by geothermal energy?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 21, 2017, 06:55:27 pm »

We've detected a few and we're primitives, so there's probably quite the number of them out there.

As for life? God, without a clear answer to the Fermi Paradox it might as well be zero. A planet like that is always going to be losing energy without equilibrium, so I'd say life is near impossible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: June 21, 2017, 07:25:57 pm »

If a Jupiter-sized (Or larger) planet got flung into space, its moons could conceivably have life similar to what we might hope to find on Europa---supported by volcanic vents on the ocean floor, which are themselves created by the tidal forces of the large planet's gravity flexing the moon.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:42 am »

On moving planets I couldn't help recalling the Shadow Raiders cartoon with their planerary engines and  atmospheric shields and all.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: June 22, 2017, 07:08:21 am »

The MUCH more realistic option is to just move the Earth.

It's not very realistic, but you know, whatever might work. Assuming we're still around to be bothered about it.

Instead of that, break Earth into two pieces. Old Earth has a radius of 6371 km, whereas each of the "New Earths" will have a radius of 5056 km, not that much smaller! We'd gain about 60% more surface area to play with, and surface gravity would be around 0.79, so bearable.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: June 22, 2017, 07:20:18 am »

Except you're proposing that we create extra material. Unless you think that there's two objects the size of what, Venus? Maybe the physical size of Mars, if not the weight?

Plus what about our magnetic field? We do NOT want to reduce THAT at all.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 22, 2017, 07:24:14 am »

Except you're proposing that we create extra material. Unless you think that there's two objects the size of what, Venus? Maybe the physical size of Mars, if not the weight?
Calculate the volume of 2 objects 5056 km in radius vs 1 x 6371.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: June 22, 2017, 07:39:59 am »

That would require effort.

Too much effort.

(I kinda figured that was the case. But if it's much smaller than Earth, we end up with the issues of not having a substantial magnetosphere)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 22, 2017, 07:43:31 am »

If we can do that to the Earth, then we can probably also paper over the cracks regarding issues such as that, atmospheric retention, etc, etc...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:46:00 am by Starver »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 22, 2017, 07:45:03 am »

Probably, yeah.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 22, 2017, 07:56:57 am »

So... It's decided then gentlemen. How do we procced? Standard nuclear bombs, megafracking or the mother of all tug-o-wars?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: June 22, 2017, 08:01:07 am »

Probably the best method would be using earth to give gravity assists to millions of asteroids, slowly changing earth's orbit. Especially since you can give a gravity assist multiple times.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 22, 2017, 10:02:17 am »

Well, I was going to make highly precise local changes to the intermolecular forces, including moderate inversions sufficient to overcome gravity itself at a local scale1, to aid in the parting and viscous remoulding process...  But if you just want to brute-force it, rather than eletromagnetically-force it, be my guest. I'll work on the magma-stirring fields, just so we have a backup. Also probably useful for creating new volcano-chains right under anybody I we don't like....

1 But only whilst I was prepping the Gravity Field Adjuster to disproportionally retain the upper atmospheres and thus maintain pressure, without losing out on that 1/5th reduction in surface gravity that everyone is raving about...

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 22, 2017, 10:55:50 am »

KIC 8462852 has dimmed again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 232