Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 154095 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1290 on: April 14, 2017, 06:34:19 am »

Quest Mage is a pretty weak deck. I think it's a lot less powerful than Freeze Mage was because it takes so long to assemble all its pieces and complete the quest.

The deck's best counter is Dirty Rat, incidentally. If you hit a combo piece (and if you time it right you usually will because there's so few minions in the deck) they basically can't win. If you're playing Paladin getting Eye for an Eye off your Hydrologist will actually no joke usually win you the game, because it becomes impossible for them to win after you reduce them to 1 health. Eater of Secrets is also an option but it's more narrow.

I really like the current meta, it's by far the most fun I've had playing Hearthstone. There's a lot of new, viable decks for every class and they mostly have some fun things going on. I've mostly been playing Taunt Warrior but I'm looking to craft Sherazin because the new Miracle Rogue looks really fun.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 14, 2017, 08:04:10 am »

Dirty Rat is pretty much a must-have 2-of in any deck that can afford to right now. It's the only way to force your opponents out of pulling their particular brand of bullshit, be it rogue bounces or quest mage.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 14, 2017, 12:18:59 pm »

Yep. I was too busy getting weasels and luckydo buccaneers to get Rats, and it feels awful spending half a legendary for a tech choice vs two decks that I don't see that much. if I have to I can make them but I'd really rather not.

Aside from watching someone else play solitaire, I think this is the best expansion they've done though. I've managed to make a pretty good deck for every class for the first time ever. It's pretty exciting.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 15, 2017, 10:26:24 am »

Freeze Mage actually still might be more powerful than Quest Mage. Freeze was a deck before Thaurissan, and ice lance wasn't a key component of Classic Freeze like it was for the spell power/Thaurissan version. With Reno gone, you can safely burn out decks over 2-3 turns or use Alexstrasza/pyroblast or Antonidas. And Primordial Glyph is incredibly good in the deck.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 15, 2017, 12:22:32 pm »

I've actually had a silly amount of success playing an elemental mage with the quest. It turns out, if you have the coin, the quest is really easy and the lost card doesn't matter as much, and if you don't have the coin you can just mulligan it away.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 15, 2017, 04:17:43 pm »

Freeze Mage actually still might be more powerful than Quest Mage. Freeze was a deck before Thaurissan, and ice lance wasn't a key component of Classic Freeze like it was for the spell power/Thaurissan version. With Reno gone, you can safely burn out decks over 2-3 turns or use Alexstrasza/pyroblast or Antonidas. And Primordial Glyph is incredibly good in the deck.
According to Vicious Syndicate's stats Freeze Mage has the highest winrate of any deck right now (55%) while Quest Mage has the lowest for any commonly played deck (35%).

I think Primordial Glyph is a strong candidate for best Mage card ever. I can't even imagine a deck where you'd want to cut it. You get flexibility in terms of both when you spend your mana and what you're casting at no cost at all. You can find extra copies of your "overpowered" spells such as Frost Bolt and Fireball. And it's not just a third copy of Ice Block or Frost Nova, it's a third copy that you can play on the same turn as Alex which is just ridiculous.

Arcanologist is also very good, it's a big upgrade over Novice Engineer in terms of stats and finds the cards you really need. It and Primordial Glyph also allow you to run Medivh's Valet which is a strong card too. Since those both have on-curve bodies I've actually gotten a few points of minion damage in when I've played which has been relevant.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:22:40 pm by Leafsnail »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 15, 2017, 06:56:52 pm »

updated the game to test the new cards. turns out that my cards from the Grand Tournament were not usable in standard (pussies). so i had to change my stuff and try to make a part mana wyrms/part C'thun deck with some repeated +1 spell cards because blizzard is gay and wants me to change my full spell damage strategy with new expansion cards that dont have any use for me anyways..

tried my new frankenstein deck on standard, yeah pretty much lost to anything. a mage with charge cards, typical face huntard with broken beasts, murloc paladins, pussy ass priests stealing stuff and killing my cards without getting any damage, golem shaman (seriously?) and of course, the new quest rouge.

what a time to play Hearthstone, it seems Mage has been in the dumpster this expansion. unless you play shitty stuff like Quests or elemental bullshit i dont really see the appeal.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 15, 2017, 06:58:57 pm »

Freeze Mage is still very good.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 16, 2017, 03:53:10 am »

The only decks they killed were Reno and Tempo (and good riddance to fucking flamewaker) so I'm not really sure what you're on about there. Mage has consistently been one of the strongest classes Hearthstone, having it knocked down a peg is a welcome change, tho it's still top tier in arena so it's only half a peg I guess.

Besides, you can always go play wild where there's still OTK bullshit aplenty.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 16, 2017, 11:15:41 am »

Freeze mage is the top deck in the game at the moment. That's just about as shitty as it gets.

But... if you really didn't know about the standard rotation that's been coming for a full year, I don't know what to say.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 17, 2017, 09:05:25 am »

i dont really follow the meta. i know there are decks out that are a nuissance but i dont really change mine in order to counter them. i just build it organically.

anyways i was in a bad mood that day.

yesterday i reinvented the deck and was able to get the rest of the victories i needed for unlocking Maiev with only like 3-4 defeats.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:19 pm »

If you want a really cancerous mage deck.

And I thought pirate warrior and mid-range shaman were bad. but this is a whole new level of terrible.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 17, 2017, 04:17:56 pm »

Un'goro brought some really fun and not salt-inducing decks to the forefront of the meta. It also made some of the purest cancer the game has seen since huntertaker. There's so many decks that are just solitaire, and not in an interactive way like ye olde handlock, but the worst attributes of freeze mage. Quest rogue either draws a bounce target and a bunch of bounces, or it gets run over by crap minions. Mage either gets mana wyrm degeneracy OR it gets any number of unstoppable win conditions off of ice block/time warp. Priest does stupid priest bullshit, either infinite 5/6 dragon flavored or your win condition flavored. Not to mention, pirate warrior is still running people over by turn 4 if it draws win axe.

It's a really frustrating place to be, because the interactive decks are actually pretty good, and show hearthstone's good side, but half the meta right now is just hearthstone's ugly, ugly innards.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 17, 2017, 11:47:13 pm »

dont forget the effing druid that spams cheap 5 damage bullshit to get 0 mana later after a few turns. that thing should be illegal

the other thing that annoys me the most is when people start spamming legendaries like if they had 0 cost. cant deal with so many broken stuff. i mean, i can only put so much copies of polymorphy or spells to clean the board but its not enough when people calls bullshit like Ysera or the like at alarming rates.

specially when i cant even put my good cards without having them deleted by crappy cards with abusive effects.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:04:50 am by xaritscin »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 18, 2017, 12:06:14 pm »

That's funny. Jungle giants druid is actually a pretty well designed deck. They have to play really aggressively stated early stuff and can't really come back on a board in exchange for getting to play a big card a turn for free.

It's also a really ineffective deck. You can usually just run them over.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 109