Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153524 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1065 on: September 17, 2016, 03:45:34 pm »

Top arena players generally have much higher winrates than top constructed players, I'd say it's less luck based. Most constructed decks have very clear gameplans and work the same way every time while in arena you have to adapt game to game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 17, 2016, 03:50:34 pm »

Top arena players generally have much higher winrates than top constructed players, I'd say it's less luck based.

Although I'd agree that there's a lot of skill involved in the arena, I think that top constructed players would have a much higher win rate if they reset their rank back down to 20 after half to a dozen games.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:53:06 pm by Criptfeind »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 17, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »

Arena's just a tempo game with a random shit deck, where as  you go along the odds of fighting something closely resembling a constructed deck rise substantially.

I'm not saying there isn't skill involved, but the last run I drafted a deck with something like 6 4-drops and had a draw that locked me out of playing anything til turn 3. I lost to someone who played, turn for turn, constructed aggro shaman. This isn't something that makes me want to play it more.

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1068 on: September 18, 2016, 12:11:12 am »

Arena's just a tempo game with a random shit deck, where as  you go along the odds of fighting something closely resembling a constructed deck rise substantially.

I'm not saying there isn't skill involved, but the last run I drafted a deck with something like 6 4-drops and had a draw that locked me out of playing anything til turn 3. I lost to someone who played, turn for turn, constructed aggro shaman. This isn't something that makes me want to play it more.

No offense intended, but this kind of comes off as being mostly that you're bad at drafting. If your deck is bad once, yeah, unlucky. If your deck is bad every time, it's a sign that you're doing something wrong.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 18, 2016, 01:56:28 am »

Might wanna contact adwcta and merps. I was using their tier list and heartharena. I will also point out that, more than once, HA flat out said something like "wow, these choices suck."

I've had 5-win runs before - when I got mage and all the right rolls. Not a pro, but competent provided I'm offered something useful.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1070 on: September 18, 2016, 05:26:40 am »

Blindly using a tierlist will give you a weaker deck than a skilled drafter, simply because the tierlist doesn't take deck synergies or composition into account. Frankly, you are not as good at drafting as adwcta or merps.

And yes, sometimes your choices suck. My current arena deck has five (!) epics in it, but one's Twilight Guardian (I have all of three dragons in the deck), one's Southsea Captain (literally a 3/3 for 3), and one's BGH (which kills... North Sea Kraken. And I think that's about it for common arena cards). Just because a 3/3 for 3 was better than the other choices, a 2/6 for 4 was better, and BGH's ability is marginally more useful than the other options. In part because I saw Arcane Giant two or three times, and Clockwork Giant at least once.

Sometimes you get a situation where the choices are all poor, but there's usually one that's less poor than the rest.

I'm currently 2-0 with Warlock, which isn't exactly a super OP arena class last I checked.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 18, 2016, 10:13:59 am »

Blindly using a tierlist will give you a weaker deck than a skilled drafter, simply because the tierlist doesn't take deck synergies or composition into account. Frankly, you are not as good at drafting as adwcta or merps.

To be fair, heartharena most certainly does take both deck synergies and compositions into account.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1072 on: September 18, 2016, 10:25:26 am »

I will confess to not having used the Heartharena plugin thing. It feels kind of like cheating, to me (for a similar reason, I flip-flop between referencing the tier list and not). But it's clearly not a perfect tool or Darkmere wouldn't feel arena is purely RNG based.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:48 am »

They do but not very well.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 18, 2016, 11:06:20 am »

I'd say they do pretty well. I've used heartharena a bit, and I'd say I agree with it 95+% of the time or so. Of course, drafting the most optimal deck isn't the only part of arena that takes some skill. Although it's obviously hard to see such a thing from ones own perspective, there's a lot decision making that goes into an arena game. Both turn to turn micro decisions, but also long term gameplan decisions and trying to figure out who's on control, who needs to trade for what and where, and who's "winning" and what you need to do to make sure that it's you are all important and not always obvious decisions in arena.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 18, 2016, 12:08:15 pm »

I think it doesn't help that, in my experience, there aren't any close arena games. Watching LaughingGoat stream, I've seen merps get completely steamrolled more than once, so it's not *just* me. But it does seem very steamrolly both ways. Maybe 3 spells in a deck is my average, so there's rarely a way I can pull off a swing turn, and when I win it's always because the other dude has nothing at all playable.

I wish there was a practice arena or draft skirmish mode, because I fully admit the fact that I have to pay to get in a run tilts me more than it should and makes me a shittier player, but the option to toss someone else my draft deck and spectate them playing it would be extremely helpful.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1076 on: September 18, 2016, 12:28:18 pm »

I came out of a game on 1 HP a little while ago. That was a result of choosing when to stop tapping, when to clear and what, and when to go face and bet my opponent will take trades on their turn.

Similarly, two of my friends and I play arena by committee every now and then for shenanigans, and we see a fair few close games.

I recommend looking at some of Trump's Trump Cards arena videos. He drafts, generally explaining something of the reasoning, and plays, much the same.

Edit: Swing turns in arena: Opponent plays BogChamp, I have to trade my 8 power board into it. Bam. Neutral flamestrike. Admittedly, Warlock is a class with very little hard removal in general and especially not in arena, where my 'removal' is Demonfire and Imp-losion, but nonetheless. It'll be true of many classes in many cases.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:20:11 pm by Arx »

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 18, 2016, 06:25:32 pm »

Last I checked ADWCTA and MERPS stopped supporting HearthArena over a year ago. So I wouldn't go placing any blame on their shoulders for that program. After parting ways, ADWCTA designed a algorithm (which he updates to meta) to calculate for thelightforge tier scores. HearthArena on the other hand hired people to estimate score changes. While some cards are on point, a few of HearthArena's score choices in Old Gods verged on comically incorrect.

Refrence:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3sj3a7/a_farewell_to_heartharena/

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 21, 2016, 11:57:09 am »

New brawl is out. Randmonium. Sorta. Yawn. But I guess I can at least finish out my quests.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 21, 2016, 01:04:19 pm »

More coinflips? Yay!

Totally outskilled one match by getting about 10/10 stats on the board turn 1. Totes legit u guize.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 109