Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153531 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1155 on: November 30, 2016, 12:53:46 pm »

Jade Druid is the one Jade build I can kindof see working since you have a lot of card draw and ramp that may let you deploy enough golems early on to get a payoff. Jade Idol is kindof funny to me because I think a lot of people will use the shuffle into deck option when they shouldn't (throwing away a card for no immediate gain is bad, and it actually makes your top decks worse in most situations), to the extent that it might have been a statistically better card if it didn't have that option.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 30, 2016, 02:31:12 pm »

Maybe we will see some kind of Gadgetzan Auctioneer Jade deck that sets up increasingly unstoppable board states while drawing cards. I haven't been paying attention much so perhaps this is already out there.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 30, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »

Here's hoping we get some free packs again like we did with WotOG. I've saved up enough gold to buy 20 or so packs when it comes out and enough dust to craft a few legendaries.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 30, 2016, 04:33:19 pm »

The following quests were found by datamining:
Join the Goons - Win 3 games as a Hunter, Paladin, or Warrior.
Rewards 2 Mean Streets of Gadgetzan Packs
Join the Jade Lotus - Win 3 games as a Druid, Rogue, or Shaman.
Join the Kabal - Win 3 games as a Mage, Priest, or Warlock.
It's possible you'll only be allowed to "join" one faction, but it looks like we're getting at least two free packs.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 30, 2016, 04:36:52 pm »

I'm guessing those are dailies. Devs have said there's nothing in the way of giveaways that they're aware of, the WoG stuff was just for standard mode and people who felt like they lost cards.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 30, 2016, 07:16:51 pm »

If they introduce dailies that give out two packs per pop that's way better than a one-off giveaway. No way they're doing that.

I think what they're not giving out is specific cards like in the last two expansions.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:19:03 pm by Leafsnail »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 01, 2016, 11:52:18 am »

Off to a great start. 23 packs, opened Wrathion which I'm guaranteed to never be able to use. Can't wait for the shitfest legendary I get next!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 01, 2016, 03:23:08 pm »

As a warning the packs seem to have a drastically increased chance of giving you triclass cards right now. Maybe hold off on opening your packs for a bit unless you want a dozen Grimestreet Informants.
Off to a great start. 23 packs, opened Wrathion which I'm guaranteed to never be able to use. Can't wait for the shitfest legendary I get next!
Wrathion seems decent even if he doesn't hit any dragons. Value + a taunt to keep you alive while you use that value is cool.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 01, 2016, 04:59:30 pm »

As a warning the packs seem to have a drastically increased chance of giving you triclass cards right now. Maybe hold off on opening your packs for a bit unless you want a dozen Grimestreet Informants.
Wrathion seems decent even if he doesn't hit any dragons. Value + a taunt to keep you alive while you use that value is cool.

He's terribly understatted/overcost for both taunt and cycle, assuming you only draw one card (which I would). Almost anything else would be better for either purpose. I'm holding on to him though, the only thing I'm missing is the last 4 wings of BRM, so hopefully the next expansion brings in more dragon support (by a lot) when that rotates out.

I just got the first of the "Join a gang" quests as a little story-mode dealie. Looks like you get 6 free packs as a one-time quest chain, which isn't quite the 8 freebies from WoG but still pretty snazzy.

Unrelated: toying with a Jade Token Midrange Shaman concept, seems fairly promising so far. Not sure you could rely on Jade Golems alone without Aya, but fortunately I don't have to.
I really, REALLY like Lotus Agents, though that kind of thing is probably bad from a competitive standpoint.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 01, 2016, 05:51:33 pm »

I didn't get most of the cards I wanted but I've been sitting on 6k dust for a while so I decided to finally use some of it. I did unpack White Eyes and Inkmaster Solia though. Since I got Solia I decided to craft Kazakus so I could make a Reno deck. With White Eyes I went for a Crusher Shaman deck. Both decks seem okay but tend to get run over by Pirate warrior.

I decided to craft some cards to make a hand buffing paladin deck, so I made Don Han'Cho. It's a pretty fun deck but also tends to get run over by Pirate Warrior unless you get an amazing start. Maybe I should throw some more taunt in because taunt does hurt pirate warrior if you can get some big ones out early.

So with all the pirate warriors I thought I should fight fire with fire so I crafted Patches the Pirate and started playing pirate warrior as well. :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 01, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »

Patches is almost certainly the best card in the set so that seems like a fine decision.
He's terribly understatted/overcost for both taunt and cycle, assuming you only draw one card (which I would). Almost anything else would be better for either purpose. I'm holding on to him though, the only thing I'm missing is the last 4 wings of BRM, so hopefully the next expansion brings in more dragon support (by a lot) when that rotates out.
Not really. It pays a similar stat cost to cards like Gnomish Apprentice/Inventor which are decent.

e: and do you really not have Azure Drake?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:43:32 pm by Leafsnail »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 01, 2016, 08:45:58 pm »

Looks like if you are on the NA servers and you opened packs before 2:30pm PST you will be getting free packs because they messed up the drop rates.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 01, 2016, 10:37:53 pm »

Patches is almost certainly the best card in the set so that seems like a fine decision.
Not really. It pays a similar stat cost to cards like Gnomish Apprentice/Inventor which are decent.

e: and do you really not have Azure Drake?

I do have the drakes but don't run them in my Jade shaman (yet) because 1-of spirit claws and Thalnos do what I want, with Jade claws in there too.

Here's my budget rationale: The Vanilla test is 0.5 stat per mana cost on minions, with draw 1 being 0.5 mana rounded down or free (additional draw is upped cost per card drawn, like arcane intellect for 2 and sprint for 7) based on PW:S, Shiv, Wrath. For value, Loot Hoarder is pretty good at 3 stats (1.5 mana) + cycle (0.5 mana). Novice Engineer (2 stats for 1 mana + cycle for 1 mana) is overcosted by 0.5 mana, while Inventor (6 stats for 3 mana + cycle for 1 mana) are overcosted on average.

By that metric, Wrathion is 9 stats for 4.5 mana + cycle for 1.5 mana in a dragon-less deck. You'd just barely break under-even 1 in 15 plays assuming you played him without first drawing either drake, then draw a drake and get 2 cards. If I had a dragon deck with... just say 10 dragons, odds of getting close to mana-cost worth of draw increases to 1/3 depending on how shit your draws are early game.

Absolute worst case though, it's paying 6 mana for a 5 mana taunt that will trade poorly with stronger 5-drops. It'd be a decent clockstopper for dragon decks provided you could get the card advantage with more than 1 draw, but other than that case it's low-value.

Looks like if you are on the NA servers and you opened packs before 2:30pm PST you will be getting free packs because they messed up the drop rates.

Can confirm, bought 22 packs before lunch and opened them like a greedy kid at Christmas, just got reimbursed 8 packs. Classy, I'm totally satisfied with that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 01, 2016, 11:02:41 pm »

Saying that drawing a card is worth 0.5 mana is crazy. Novice Engineer is a playable card and it pays 2 mana to draw a card over the unplayable card Wisp. Azure Drake is one of the strongest neutral cards in the game and it plays 1 mana to draw a card over the terrible card Ogre Magi. Shiv is a playable card that pays 2 mana to draw a card over unplayable (outside of Malygos combo decks) card Moonfire.

By a similar token Wrathion is paying 2 mana over a theoretical 4/5 taunt for 4 which would probably be a pretty good card.

If your metric is calling playable or very good cards "overcosted" it is a bad metric.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:05:27 pm by Leafsnail »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:07 pm »

I'm not sure if you can really call a card that doesn't (afaik) actually see any play playable (novice engineer) but yeah, I agree. 1 draw is okay, 2 draw is insanely good (compare to ancient of lore, 7 mana 5/5 draw 2 was too powerful)
6 mana 4/5 taunt draw one is obviously very close to being good enough to play alone, throw in the possibility of a very large upside in dragon decks, and it almost seems like a no brainer.

Honestly even by Darkmeres very demanding rules for 'worth', if half your deck is dragon average is draw 1.5, that's a 4.5 mana card (apparently yetti is undercosted in this metric?) +1.5 (1 for the first, +2/2 for the .5) worth of draw for 6 mana. It's even got taunt, for whatever that's worth. Good card.

Edit: Actually reading Darkmeres post I think he might have just screwed up the internal math there? 4.5+1.5=6, the minimum according to your metric is actually good.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:51:40 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 109