Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153532 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1485 on: September 05, 2017, 01:35:45 pm »

I'm likely going to spend half my time in wild. Seems odd to just axe entire chunks of the game just because they're old.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1486 on: September 05, 2017, 01:40:21 pm »

It was a convention established by Magic, for a very good reason. If you never cycle cards out, you get massive power creep, an insane initial investment to get into the game, and you cramp your design space because of the increased number of combos.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 05, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »

In other words you are glad that warriors will become a #9 class (IMO). What are warriors supposed to do on turn 2 against aggro decks? Doomsayer is not enough.This change is an obvious attempt to screw pirate warriors but I think control decks will be hit harder.

I think the FWA nerf is waaaaay worse for pirate warrior than control. Obviously it will hurt CW a lot, but despite what you say Doomsayer is still a perfectly fine turn 2. On the other hand, what does pirate warrior do on turn 2 now? Play a river croc? Cause that's about all it has left in the 2 slot without FWA.

Not to mention that aggro decks are hurt a lot more by missing turn 2 than control.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 05, 2017, 01:55:35 pm »

The only time new cards get put into decks is when they're better than old ones. Without cards rotating out, there is constant unavoidable power creep, and substantially more than just a little if more than few cards in the set see play.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 05, 2017, 02:11:59 pm »

Hex been nerfed? Yeeeeeees
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 05, 2017, 02:39:44 pm »

I think the FWA nerf is waaaaay worse for pirate warrior than control. Obviously it will hurt CW a lot, but despite what you say Doomsayer is still a perfectly fine turn 2. On the other hand, what does pirate warrior do on turn 2 now? Play a river croc? Cause that's about all it has left in the 2 slot without FWA.

Not to mention that aggro decks are hurt a lot more by missing turn 2 than control.
It is hard to say how the next iteration of aggro-warrior will look like. Lists will be different. Turn 2 is not a huge problem, there are decent options to place there. Turn 3 is. Pirate warrior has extremely powerful turn 3 plays: FWA+1 mana Dread corsair, Bloodsail cultist with pirate on board and FWA equipped, Frothing berserker with FWA equipped, FWA + southsea deckhand and many others. Yet I still expect tier 3 aggro warrior deck.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:29 pm »

I don't think the nerf to innervate (so they can print and sell a better one) will do anything to druids right now, but it's a fine way to avoid refunding anything for UI... which rewards all-ins on ramps anyway and causes the problem to begin with.

I... can't think of many real situations where you'd want to play hex on curve, so I can't see the nerf doing much of anything. Which means they want to print a better silence card in the next expansion, so that's... whatever.

Murloc decks are dead, two weeks after I finally collected a murloc deck. Working as intended.

I never got desperate enough to craft the three cards I needed for wild pirate warrior, but I'm really not sad FWA got punched in the face. By all rights they should destroy frostbolt and fireball next, since those go in any mage deck regardless and it's really time to sell more cards.

Not a word about the naga giants horseshit either, so that's good. Might be time for me to bow out of the game if they're fine with fucking over the game mode I want to play and not even telling anyone in patch notes.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 05, 2017, 03:55:44 pm »

The Innervate nerf is huge, Innervate is currently the strongest card in the game and it's about the become OK but not great.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 05, 2017, 04:09:27 pm »

The Innervate nerf is huge, Innervate is currently the strongest card in the game and it's about the become OK but not great.
Innervate is a strong card but effect is minor. Sure, Druid will lose some ridiculous turns but replacing two innervates isn't a huge problem. I expect jade druids be even stronger in the next meta because murloc paladin(main counter) is nerfed harder
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 05, 2017, 05:13:01 pm »

swapping it into the hall of fame instead.
There are people who enjoy wild. Don't treat it as a graveyard for the broken cards.

Innervate isn't broken on it's own, it just permanently warps the game around itself and limits what other cards can be printed. Which is exactly the sorta card that wild is for. Such cards (like reno is a good example) are fine existing, just not forever.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 05, 2017, 06:03:37 pm »

Innervate is a strong card but effect is minor. Sure, Druid will lose some ridiculous turns but replacing two innervates isn't a huge problem. I expect jade druids be even stronger in the next meta because murloc paladin(main counter) is nerfed harder

This is what I expect. They thumped druid on the nose and kicked their main rivals in the junk. It seems like the net result is a buff for druid. The problem was there wasn't really a downside for going all ramp cards, UI just refilled your hand and you went on playing at a 4-mana advantage. Now you just have to suffer playing with a 3-mana advantage instead.

It's been compared to karazhan nerfs where they nerfed shaman's competitors more than they nerfed shaman... which ended up just buffing shaman.

I could be wrong, it may slow druids up just enough that highroll priests can move in, and instead of man -> bigger man -> even bigger man every game is a diceroll where the bad outcome for you is facing endless 4/8's that autokill your board.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 06, 2017, 01:59:22 am »

Innervate isn't broken on it's own, it just permanently warps the game around itself and limits what other cards can be printed. Which is exactly the sorta card that wild is for. Such cards (like reno is a good example) are fine existing, just not forever.
I have to disagree. Innervate is a card that is a long standing problem in wild. With innervate merely moved there, any new 3\4\5 mana card may break wild. I understand that wild isn't intended to be properly balanced but wild need help to deal with such nonsense. For example FWA nerf is good for wild because pirate warrior is very deadly there and it will become better with new weapons printed. (For standard it is awful. I think control warrior is not a deck anymore)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:16:40 am by Strongpoint »

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 06, 2017, 03:13:54 am »

I have no idea what makes you think murloc paladin is the main counter to jade druid. Much more consistent counters are obviously OTK decks (quest exodia mage and DK exodia paladin mainly). Aggro relies too much on draw RNG and will cause a lot of ragequits. Spare your nervous system.

On a different note, I'm sad to see Innervate and FWA go. They are strong, class-defining cards. And their power level does limit the designers of every new set. But that's kinda the point for classes to have archetypical cards which define their identity. Killing those staple cards designers will have more freedom but classes will become less unique and consistent and their archetypes will be redefined from set to set.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 06, 2017, 03:53:14 am »

I have no idea what makes you think murloc paladin is the main counter to jade druid. Much more consistent counters are obviously OTK decks (quest exodia mage and DK exodia paladin mainly). Aggro relies too much on draw RNG and will cause a lot of ragequits. Spare your nervous system.
Exodia needs to draw all their pieces and survive many waves of jades. Exodia is a control killer but jade druid is not a control deck.

What makes me think that murloc paladin is the best way to kill jade druid? Understanding that jade druid has hard time deal with a board full of murlocs, personal experience, watching tournaments and good old metastats.net.

Also, Exodia is anything but consistent. Quality of random spells can differ greatly and combo piece can be the last card in your deck

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 06, 2017, 05:53:19 am »

Exodia needs to draw all their pieces and survive many waves of jades. Exodia is a control killer but jade druid is not a control deck.
Not exactly. Exodia is good against decks that are not aggro or combo. Jade druids just lump big creatures on the table and in that regards are no different from big druids. You stall and draw, then they die.
Sure, you need to draw your combo pieces. But more often than not you manage to draw your entire deck before the druid overwhelmes you. Heavy stalling works most of the time just because mage has so much of it. With paladins I've found it can be even easier if you draw a Geist in time. 
What makes me think that murloc paladin is the best way to kill jade druid? Understanding that jade druid has hard time deal with a board full of murlocs, personal experience, watching tournaments and good old metastats.net.
Aggro works, but murlocs are not even the best aggro deck right now. I still don't get what's so special about them. Pirate warrior or aggro druid are much scarier for jades.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:00:14 am by wereboar »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 109