Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 324208 times)

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 0.4 released!)
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2015, 11:48:24 pm »

I am sorry - I did not see your comment!

I am not sure I understand your suggestion. The New Earth Conspiracy is more than merely technocratic (and has a motivation of its own). Indeed, there are some scientific endeavors (specifically, those aimed at learning about nature, as opposed to artifice) that they actively oppose.

The NEC isn't really political. They are like Terra Vitae in that they have an ideology that has political implications, but as Servant Corps suggested, the NEC would be just as comfortable with a Stalinist government as an arch-conservative one. Their enemy Terra Vitae, similarly, would be just as happy in a libertarian society as an elite-liberal one.

I've had RL distractions and haven't been able to play-test the bugs. I may just post version 0.5 and let you find them. :p When I get a break with a few other things on my plate (which are dragging on and on due to uncooperative coworkers...), I will get version 1.0 in order.

AHAHH, I'm sorry that violent outrage but I  am extremely upset that didn't take the the time to my read my thing,could you know take you good time to read to wipe like some sort of bug.

It kind make mad, you know sir, I think understand that when someone said something to on online that it is an obligation to read it

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2015, 08:23:19 am »

I am still somewhat surprised how popular Technocracy became in the 1930s. I suppose that some people were so desperate for solutions that they were willing to trust 'scientists' to solve their problems. I sometimes idly wonder about writing an alternate history story where the Technocrats had succeeded in taking over the US...before realizing that such a "planned economic" society would be pretty much similar to totalitarian communism, with the only difference being that at least the totalitarians plans on the state eventually withering away while the technocrats believe that their society is indeed the best of all worlds. So such a story about the Technate would only be interesting if the Technate was incompetent...but then again, the USSR can be said to be pretty incompetent too.

If I reinvented the Stalinist Comrade Squad from the ground-up, I would have probably considered styling their rhetoric to be more "Technocratic" and less "Populist"...at least the former would have been more ideologically consistent. But I probably would stick with the populism. Movements like the "Tea Party" and "Occupy" shows that populism today can whip up a mob quickly in favor of [INSERT CAUSE HERE]. Pretty hard to gather support in favor of peer-reviewed papers written by ivory-tower academics.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2015, 12:09:58 pm »

I've downloaded Visual Studio and am working with it. There are some compiler errors that are not problems when using gcc. As soon as I find them, I will upload version 0.5 (both Mac and Windows versions).

AHAHH, I'm sorry that violent outrage but I  am extremely upset that didn't take the the time to my read my thing,could you know take you good time to read to wipe like some sort of bug.

It kind make mad, you know sir, I think understand that when someone said something to on online that it is an obligation to read it

Nosaneinme, the problem that I have in understanding what you write lies in grammatical errors that leave the meaning of your sentences ambiguous. I cannot identify your subjects from your objects. If you want me to understand your suggestions, please try to use more careful English. It does make it easier to understand.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2015, 07:19:13 pm »

As far as I can tell they were being sarcastic and saying, "Don't worry aboot not seeing my comment sooner"

That was my interpretation at least

Patar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2015, 12:56:30 am »

Here's my Windows executable. Just drop it in the terravitae0.4 folder from the original zip and run it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujn5ucp9gdb1rsg/crimesquad.exe?dl=0
I don't think I changed anything important, but I can't guarantee it'll work right. It runs on my computer with no issues I've noticed except the siege thing. Let me know if it works.

My browser said this was malicious.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:58:03 am by Patar »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2015, 11:18:40 am »

Been busy with a RL conference. I will get this up soon. I think I understand the Windows compiler bugs and can fix them, but I have something else I need to finish today first.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2015, 07:00:18 pm »

All right, I am cutting corners to get this game to compile for Windows. Microsoft Visual Studio is giving me some errors that I simply cannot understand, and their documentation is absolutely uninformative in actually finding the problem. I am going to make something that compiles (if it's even possible), and post the shortcuts that I am making and where in the code they are. Perhaps somebody with a better understanding of the vagaries of Microsoft can explain their arcane reasons for refusing to compile.

Problem #1
Error: mem_fun() and not1() undefined
Discussion: they're undefined symbols, defined nowhere else in the LCS code. For some reason, the Unix compiler (gcc) is able to compile them anyway, so I would guess that they're in the Unix C libraries that come with gcc but aren't in Visual Studio's libraries.
Temporary solution: They do not appear to do anything needed for the game, so I commented them out.

Problem #2
Locations: monthly.cpp line 672 and titlescreen.cpp line 615
Error: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl TVRecordMonth(void)" (?TVRecordMonth@@YAXXZ)
Discussion: this is one that I cannot solve. The function TVRecordMonth() prints a record of everyone in the LCS and of the overall status of the game to a text file, so that it can be tracked (or used by other as-yet-unwritten software) to record the relative progress of the LCS over time. This is a void function defined in tvrecord.cpp in /monthly, a new file added to the game, but is otherwise identical to many other void functions that generate no errors (and making the function other than void doesn't help).
Temporary solution: I commented out the calls in titlescreen.cpp and monthly.cpp. This function does not affect gameplay at this time, but I am worried about what would happen if it did!

Problem #3 NEEDS HELP!
Error: unresolved external symbol _imp__iob_func referenced in function _ShowError
Discussion: Doing some internet searches, I have managed to determine that this error is caused by Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 redefining the standard input and output relative to earlier versions. It is not in the LCS code. Many people are having the same issue, but there is no answer online that I have been able to find that explains where you need to go or what the code is that will fix this.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:12:58 pm by SlatersQuest »

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2015, 01:23:46 pm »

To Problem 2:
Maybe you should declare it TVRecordMonth(void). The formal way to declare a function that takes no parameter is writing void as parameter, despite most compilers also accepting it to leave the parameter empty.
If you declare an external function without parameter, the compiler will consider the type unknown, and try to find it from the use of the function. So you should check the header, and the actual function, and write void into their round brackets.
This behaviour of the compiler is however odd, as it is common to leave the brackets empty to get void. Maybe you can get it to compile by changing compiler options (Non ANSI extension maybe ?)

Further you should ensure, that all source files are compiled with the same calling conventions, especially those related to name mangling. Recompiling everything (refresh all or the like) might help.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2015, 08:12:19 pm »

To Problem 2:
Maybe you should declare it TVRecordMonth(void).

Just tried it - doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I suspect that this also has something to do with the 2015 version of the MSVS compiler being rebuilt from previous versions, which creates a number of bugs.

Unfortunately, I know gcc and Unix, and not Microsoft. I need help here.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 0.5 released!)
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2015, 11:36:11 pm »

I have posted Version 0.5 for Mac.

In order to make this port to Windows, I need help.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2015, 07:28:01 am »

After character creation, I get segmentation fault 11, in Terminal.
Photo:

image upload no compression
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:32:18 am by wipeout1024 »
Ain't nobody got time for that.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2015, 11:03:34 am »

After character creation, I get segmentation fault 11, in Terminal.

Fixed!

Or it should be - I got the now-fixed bug in a different place. If you still get it, can you repeat exactly what you did (i.e. what choices you made) in the setup?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:17:15 am by SlatersQuest »

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2015, 11:19:54 pm »

Any progress so far? Did the entire LCS community just die out overnight or something?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2015, 11:22:56 pm »

Yeah I'm working on version 0.6 (or maybe 1.0). I fixed (or believe that I fixed) the aforementioned bug wipeout found, but wipeout hasn't confirmed it. I need help from somebody who understands Visual Studio 2015 to compile LCS for Windows.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2015, 01:50:49 am »

No, I still got it. I'm on OSX Yosemite, so maybe that's something to do with it.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57