Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 223814 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2014, 08:23:25 pm »

I'm not sure if I like the idea of the scum IC in general.  It means that the scum will be playing basically correctly while the town will be making rookie errors (the thread IC is dramatically different - town players don't get to discuss all their moves privately before making them), which results in far more town lynches than you'd otherwise expect.

Then again newbie scum might need some help on fakeclaiming in Bird 7P, since it's a lot more role-focused than 2of3.
I think that the usefulness of the scum IC is largely variable.  In the BM I played as scum, the IC couldn't keep my partner from playing so suspiciously he got day one lynched (my replacement partner, Solymr played well).  He wasn't as much of a help to me either because I was experienced at playing scum.

That being said, I think that the setup for the BM may need one, particularly because they can't find power roles like in regular BM's.  Also, the town has never been able to plan together, and the IC's usually inform people of what is considered a "scummy" action, at least in broad strokes.  It also makes the game a tad more interesting if the scum don't just serve themselves up on a platter.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »

I had an idea. Similar to how I based that tree one off of the Treestump article, I was reading the "roles typically considered to be Bastard" list on the wiki, and came up withThis open setup for 8, 12, or 17 players, based off of the Suicidal role.
Someone got a mood altering drug into the water main, and the entire town got packed into the asylum to protect them.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2014, 10:30:47 pm »

I had an idea. Similar to how I based that tree one off of the Treestump article, I was reading the "roles typically considered to be Bastard" list on the wiki, and came up withThis open setup for 8, 12, or 17 players, based off of the Suicidal role.
Someone got a mood altering drug into the water main, and the entire town got packed into the asylum to protect them.
Interesting...

What do the others think of it?

Also, I like how you use spreadsheets for your games.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »

I'll check it out soon as I'm on a real PC.

I've been thinking of ways to make the early day game more engaging. I like how in CYOM bloodthirsty encouraged players to bandwagon. Some further possibilities I'd consider:

- Everyone starts off with a piece of information on someone else, but some players are given false info. It'd be stuff like 'Persus has something to hide', 'Tiruin and Groovester share the same alignment', 'Wolf knows what you are'.

- The person with the most non-consecutive posts in a day gets an additional vote the following day. The player with the least consecutive posts loses their vote.

- Every time you put someone at L-1, everyone voting them gets some small flavour info on that player.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2014, 08:11:51 pm »

My new idea for a setup: Anarchy Mafia!

It would be like normal mafia, but without most rules. People would be free to send PMs, talk at night, and ask random people not playing for help. Dead players would be free to post in the thread, and so would people not even playing! Replacement requests would be fulfilled by the first person not currently playing to quote the post.

It's probably a terrible idea. Scum would probably need a pretty big buff, too. Still, I'd be interested to see it someday.

Of course, people would probably find a ton of broken strategies in the first game. An "Anarchy Mafia II" would probably require some bans. If I do run this, I'll probably only run it once.

The biggest upside is that it won't require much work from the mod. They'll have to tally votes and process actions, but they won't need to worry about rules disputes because there won't be any!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »

It would be like normal mafia, but without most rules. People would be free to send PMs, talk at night, and ask random people not playing for help. Dead players would be free to post in the thread, and so would people not even playing! Replacement requests would be fulfilled by the first person not currently playing to quote the post.

It's probably a terrible idea. Scum would probably need a pretty big buff, too. Still, I'd be interested to see it someday.

Of course, people would probably find a ton of broken strategies in the first game. An "Anarchy Mafia II" would probably require some bans. If I do run this, I'll probably only run it once.

The biggest upside is that it won't require much work from the mod. They'll have to tally votes and process actions, but they won't need to worry about rules disputes because there won't be any!

This would be interesting, especially with quoting the mod disabled.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2014, 08:26:46 pm »

IMO allow quoting/screenshotting of PMs but send all mafia members a fake town PM with their real scum one.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:49 pm »

Nope. Quoting the mod would be allowed. If there are any rules, it ruins the point.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:37 pm »

Nope. Quoting the mod would be allowed. If there are any rules, it ruins the point.
Plus: fake mod quotes!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:58 pm »

Plus: fake mod quotes!
I'll just send everyone completely different PMs. Problem solved.

The only thing I see being an issue now is cryptographic hashing. I may create hashes that can be interpreted in multiple ways and distribute them to all players.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:35 am »

I meant enabled. I can't write apparently.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2014, 11:04:06 pm »

I have finished my roles list for MiniMafiaMadness II. I just have to decide on a flavor, and what month to run it in.
And whether or not to let someone who's not planning on playing look at it before hand.

I'm hoping for more players next time, obviously.
The Cyan Menace

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2014, 09:56:44 am »

I have finished my roles list for MiniMafiaMadness II. I just have to decide on a flavor, and what month to run it in.
And whether or not to let someone who's not planning on playing look at it before hand.

I'm hoping for more players next time, obviously.
I guess I could check it again... Seeing as how I'm not going to be able to play mafia anytime soon...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »

Awww... I was kinda hoping you'd be done whatever IRL stuff is affecting you right now by the time I run it.
I'll send you a PM soon then.
The Cyan Menace

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »

Awww... I was kinda hoping you'd be done whatever IRL stuff is affecting you right now by the time I run it.
I'll send you a PM soon then.
I never play Mafia, so I could look at it too.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62