Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 223826 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »

Autoblock would be almost strictly worse than recycle by a very long way, 2 or 3 points would be ok.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2014, 03:55:02 pm »

3 - Patsy: pick a new colour for a mask; that mask is now seen in-play (players always know how many masks are in-play and what colour they are). Like any mask, it can be a valid target for any power.
Heh.  I like this one.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:34 pm »

Would Recycle be broken if it only hit one power and didn't block?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »

4 - Zombify: Pick a deceased player. You lose the ability without refund, and their disguise shows up as being still in play, and they may be targeted like normal. Powers associated with the zombified player may be targeted. The zombified player may not act, they are still dead. If they come back to life, it overwrites Zombification.

6 - Resurrect: Pick a deceased player. You lose this ability without refund and they come back to life. There is a 25% chance that the player's alignment will not remain the same.

4 - Necromancy: Pick a target disguise. If the disguise belongs to a zombified player, pick a power you think they have and a target. They will use this ability on this target if they have it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2014, 08:13:26 pm »

4 - Zombify: Pick a deceased player. You lose the ability without refund, and their disguise shows up as being still in play, and they may be targeted like normal. Powers associated with the zombified player may be targeted. The zombified player may not act, they are still dead. If they come back to life, it overwrites Zombification.

6 - Resurrect: Pick a deceased player. You lose this ability without refund and they come back to life. There is a 25% chance that the player's alignment will not remain the same.

4 - Necromancy: Pick a target disguise. If the disguise belongs to a zombified player, pick a power you think they have and a target. They will use this ability on this target if they have it.
No.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2014, 09:25:07 pm »

Resurrections (not revives) have a huge impact on gameplay, since they (potentially) create confirmed townies.  Giving them a chance of not being town just makes people lynch them from fear.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:19 pm »

I tried to balance it out by making it high cost and one shot...
hmm. I do see the point. Not even making it cost 8 points would negate that fact.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2014, 10:39:36 am »

Resurrection is probably a bad idea for the reasons mentioned, but I had a good think about the zombify-necromancer combo, and I there are potentially fun possibilities with it: once a zombie appeared, half the town would either try to kill it or sell their current powers to buy necromancy to use the dead townie (assuming the dead player had a useful power like Kill or Santa). Or a player could easily just redirect the hapless corpse or bus it... actually there's a lot of potential here. I suspect some people will have good reasons why not though. Wuba?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2014, 05:55:54 pm »

Resurrection is probably a bad idea for the reasons mentioned, but I had a good think about the zombify-necromancer combo, and I there are potentially fun possibilities with it: once a zombie appeared, half the town would either try to kill it or sell their current powers to buy necromancy to use the dead townie (assuming the dead player had a useful power like Kill or Santa). Or a player could easily just redirect the hapless corpse or bus it... actually there's a lot of potential here. I suspect some people will have good reasons why not though. Wuba?
It's not that it's overpowered. It's that it's essentially using your Necromancy power to control someone else that might not be a zombie to do a power that might not happen that already cost you points. Essentially, it's not worth the Point investment except as an annoyance to the rest of the players. The only real investment is for mafia players to revive dead mafia so that they can use their powerful abilities for slightly cheaper. If necromancy were automatically a free action or incredibly cheap since you're basically using a VERY targeted and limited Power Steal/Redirect (2ish), then it would be a worthy investment for all, assuming that zombify stayed how it was and copying it ALSO removed copycat (Since the ability is copied.)

I'd be on the fence. It's got some appeal, but does it have enough appeal? The ability gets stronger the less people there are, so you should be wary about that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2014, 06:31:29 pm »

I think a Graverob ability would make more sense.

e: if multiple people target the same ability no-one gets it

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2014, 06:45:04 pm »

I like that a lot and avoids a lot of the problems Wuba highlighted with the necromancy stuff.

3 - Graverob, pick a power held by a dead player, if no one else has graverobbed the power, you now have that power.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2014, 07:40:33 pm »

I like that a lot and avoids a lot of the problems Wuba highlighted with the necromancy stuff.

3 - Graverob, pick a power held by a dead player, if no one else has graverobbed the power, you now have that power.
Ooh. That could do interesting things when combined with Fortune Teller.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2014, 09:45:49 pm »

Would it retain free/self modifiers?  Are autos a valid target?  Could you then cash them in?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2014, 04:05:51 am »

Autos wouldn't be a valid target, I'm going to say the powers keep their modifiers (just like when you steal from living players). You could cash them in so looting bodies for points would be a legitimate strategy. As it's equivalent to power steal but more guaranteed in result, I'd bump it to 4 points to buy in the first place.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2014, 10:21:54 am »

Would players prefer to have a particular type of role in a BYOR? Say that you chose the role Abraham Lincoln's Shadow, but you were really interested in a stealthy type of role (emphasizing the shadows aspect) but not a manipulative type of role (which I might opt to do). Would you say this adds more or less fun to a game? The only real downside I can see is many players all choosing similar types of roles. I know some players like the randomness that BYOR offers in terms of what roles they get, but I can see it being frustrating to get a type of role that varies from its role name or that a player finds boring to play.

Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62