Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 223825 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #495 on: April 01, 2016, 02:51:16 pm »

-snip-
Sounds pretty fun; I'd definitely join it.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 01, 2016, 03:01:23 pm »

Pisskop wants to run reverse mafia.

A 8 person game whre the mafia want to get lynched and the town want to reach parity with the mafia.  by getting lynched.

Its got no night to it.
My thought process when seeing this:
What's to stop everyone from self voting?
Oh, the mafia could even vote each other as teamwork.
Wait, when town sees that they'll know who the mafia are, and try to lynch one of their own
Wait, that would look a lot like mafia voting each-other too. Which could create a lot of WIFOM.
Ah, I see, that's really clever, and could actually work.

I'd play it!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

JohnnyDavids13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 22, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »

I see that and think that would be a clusterF

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 22, 2016, 06:12:58 pm »

Pisskop wants to run reverse mafia.

A 8 person game whre the mafia want to get lynched and the town want to reach parity with the mafia.  by getting lynched.

Its got no night to it.
My thought process when seeing this:
What's to stop everyone from self voting?
Oh, the mafia could even vote each other as teamwork.
Wait, when town sees that they'll know who the mafia are, and try to lynch one of their own
Wait, that would look a lot like mafia voting each-other too. Which could create a lot of WIFOM.
Ah, I see, that's really clever, and could actually work.

I'd play it!

So basically, vote for the towniest person until there are no towny people left and then panic when you can't trust anyone. Sounds interesting.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2016, 02:44:23 am »

So basically, vote for the towniest person until there are no towny people left and then panic when you can't trust anyone. Sounds interesting.
Everyone is Jester, competing for the lynch.

"In Soviet Russia, mislynch HELP town"
The Cyan Menace

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 23, 2016, 11:20:37 am »

I am thinking about adding a 'gimmick': Everyone can send in what is his PM'd role, but it has a flavor text that can be used as a password, so a poorly made fake will be spotted quickly and a well made fake will make someone 'good'. And also policy lynches instead of GM smite.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2016, 07:01:17 pm »

So, players would be allowed to quote their role PM? Seems like unless the scumteam was able to craft proper fakes they'd instantly lose.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2016, 03:12:21 am »

So, players would be allowed to quote their role PM? Seems like unless the scumteam was able to craft proper fakes they'd instantly lose.
a poorly made fake will be spotted quickly and a well made fake will make someone 'good'
Haven't i said that already? However, the scumteam can also use catches(like waiting for a townie to post their flavor text, and then creating a fake from it)or excuses to not display their flavor text(like saying the scum will fake the flavor)

Is that a good idea?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 25, 2016, 08:35:45 am »

a poorly made fake will be spotted quickly and a well made fake will make someone 'good'
Haven't i said that already? However, the scumteam can also use catches(like waiting for a townie to post their flavor text, and then creating a fake from it)or excuses to not display their flavor text(like saying the scum will fake the flavor)

Is that a good idea?
no. It doesn't sound like a good idea. The first townies to claim would be practically confirmed, and only the last 4 or so people to claim would be targets. Unbalanced for scum.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 28, 2016, 03:06:32 pm »

That, essentially. Unless the scum had some way to craft claims without letting several town players post theirs first, they're instantly at a disadvantage. Even if they were able to make a good claim they'd still be hamstrung by the town being able to coordinate any power roles easily. Not to mention that even if they can craft a perfect fake, it doesn't actually put them at any advantage other than not instantly getting lynched for not making a perfect fake.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 03, 2016, 07:49:42 pm »

Tell me what you'd think of this open setup:

2 Town Vanilla
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Mafia Rolecop
1 Town Spy
1 Town Doctor
1 Town cop

Spy gets access to the mafiachat.
Mafia's goal is not to outnumber the town, but to find and kill the spy. If spy gets lynched, that still fulfills mafia's goal. Town's goal is to lynch both mafia.
Mafia share a kill, but one has to use the kill if they want to use it, and can't use the kill and their own ability at same time.
The mafia know eachother, and they know there's a spy; unlike if the spy were a traitor.
The spy may chat in the mafiachat if he wants.
The Cyan Menace

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 03, 2016, 07:55:54 pm »

That setup seems fun, however the mafia loses if one of them gets lynched cause the spy can just claim and share who the last mafia is, unless everyone uses a pseudonym.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 03, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »

Tell me what you'd think of this open setup:

2 Town Vanilla
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Mafia Rolecop
1 Town Spy
1 Town Doctor
1 Town cop

Spy gets access to the mafiachat.
Mafia's goal is not to outnumber the town, but to find and kill the spy. If spy gets lynched, that still fulfills mafia's goal. Town's goal is to lynch both mafia.
Mafia share a kill, but one has to use the kill if they want to use it, and can't use the kill and their own ability at same time.
The mafia know eachother, and they know there's a spy; unlike if the spy were a traitor.
The spy may chat in the mafiachat if he wants.

Risks a follow the cop strategy for town, I think, especially if the mafia roleblocker gets killed early. There's also nothing stopping (well... technically the roleblocker, but you know what I mean :P) the spy revealing early and then being incessantly protected by the doctor.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:19 pm »

Counterclaim by the ousted scum? Preemptive fakeclaim by the scum?

You're right, the cop seems OP. What if I replaced him with a Backup-Doctor?
The Cyan Menace

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 03, 2016, 08:42:16 pm »

Might be a bit better. Any PR claims by the town do limit the pool the scum have to choose from to find the spy though, so perhaps the cop isn't that much of a problem

Assuming nobody gets blocked or protected, town only really have two chances to find scum before it all gets to be very finicky with tied votes and such, while scum essentially get four chances to find the spy before that happens, and are free to do as they please after that point, really. Maybe a cop that can't be protected instead? I don't think I'm liking the insta-win after the Spy is killed thing, but that's a preference thing.

people listening to me about mafia i don't even know wtf I'm talking about pfft
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62