Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 224666 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2016, 07:03:00 pm »

Does the Dreadlord have to be alive to win?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 06, 2016, 08:00:21 pm »

NQT: A few semi-scattered thoughts on CYOMagic:

This is going to be pretty painful for the mafia early on, and I doubt there will be many scumkills for the first few nights.

The average townie, being unable to coordinate power selection, will probably pick from the two strongly town-oriented schools: Good and Truth.  Evil L1 is a dud for town (Wound's scumteam only, pretty much, and Delay's quite a niche power), likely pushing townies away from it, and Lies is mostly disruption-focused.  Could see a few townies going Lies and/or Evil, but not many.  What that means is that there will be a ton of people with the low-level Good and Truth powers right from the start of the game, and they're good to great powers, especially en masse.  Several protects (counter any evil spell?  Nice, particularly with many protects floating around), tons of tracks, tons of watches (you're starting Truth with mid-high-power investigative powers), and, if newly acquired spells can be used when acquired, a cluster of Spell-Seeks searching for Evil and Lies spells.

It is almost suicidal for scum to try to kill in this scenario, at least for the first couple nights.  As informed as they are, they are still stuck struggling in a giant net of strong counters against scumkilling right from the start, and killing via Wound is a great way to maximize the chance of failing or getting caught.  Disruption through Delay and Lies helps against a few irritating townies, but just about every townie will be dangerous.  A game full of trackers and watchers is not a great game for the scum.

Wound I see almost no use for outside of the scumteam, needing coordination to be effective, and with Spell-Seek being available almost immediately, why even take it as scum?

I'll be honest: I don't see much correlation between power strength and power level in the setup, except for in Evil.  Truth, for instance, has an excellent L1 and excellent L4, with two useful but weaker levels in between.

Questions:
* How are mislynches counted for the illusionist's victory?  Is a mislynch pushed only by the scumteam going to count towards town killing itself?
* Are newly acquired spells usable the night of acquisition?
* When do players know that they have been harmed?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2016, 05:01:00 am »

Fallacy
Does the Dreadlord have to be alive to win?
No, none of the wincons need to be alive to win in this incarnation.

Jack

A lot of good stuff here.

This is going to be pretty painful for the mafia early on, and I doubt there will be many scumkills for the first few nights.
Wound is a little bit stronger than it first appears: the scum team could (for instance) day-wound to kill, and then have their third heal them at night. Blood magic, combined with co-ordinating their own healing straight off the block will allow the scum team much greater flexibility than the town. But you are right, they could be beefed up a little.

The average townie, being unable to coordinate power selection, will probably pick from the two strongly town-oriented schools: Good and Truth.  Evil L1 is a dud for town (Wound's scumteam only, pretty much, and Delay's quite a niche power), likely pushing townies away from it, and Lies is mostly disruption-focused.  Could see a few townies going Lies and/or Evil, but not many.  What that means is that there will be a ton of people with the low-level Good and Truth powers right from the start of the game, and they're good to great powers, especially en masse.  Several protects (counter any evil spell?  Nice, particularly with many protects floating around), tons of tracks, tons of watches (you're starting Truth with mid-high-power investigative powers), and, if newly acquired spells can be used when acquired, a cluster of Spell-Seeks searching for Evil and Lies spells.
Yes, the early truth powers are a bit too good maybe. Spell-seek could definitely be swapped with Carbon Copy in the ordering.

Wound I see almost no use for outside of the scumteam, needing coordination to be effective, and with Spell-Seek being available almost immediately, why even take it as scum?

I'll be honest: I don't see much correlation between power strength and power level in the setup, except for in Evil.  Truth, for instance, has an excellent L1 and excellent L4, with two useful but weaker levels in between.
I think the reason why I underestimated the strength of track/protect is that in previous CYOMs basically no one ever took them, but this would push too many people to take them.

* How are mislynches counted for the illusionist's victory?  Is a mislynch pushed only by the scumteam going to count towards town killing itself?
Mislynch counts if a town player was on the lynch for a town player, or if a scum player was on the lynch for a scum player. This means the illusionist will be able to get some of their kills through early town-on-town lynches, but they'll still need to cause mischief for maximum damage.

* Are newly acquired spells usable the night of acquisition?
Originally I was thinking you'd level at the end of each day, but given that the game starts in the day phase, maybe it should be at the end of each cycle (so players have to use their L1 spells at least once).

* When do players know that they have been harmed?
Possibilities I was considering:
- They don't know at all unless they are circumspect, so you could have wounded players use blood magic and accidentally kill themselves. Stronger for the scum team (they could speculatively wound a lot of players and wait to see who uses blood magic).
- They're informed of their current health at the end of each phase (with effects much like above, but they'd soon figure out there was scum wounding them)
- Or, most kind to town, players always know their wound level and are blocked from using blood magic if they've been wounded that phase.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2016, 11:02:59 am »

I'll get you some feedback in a bit, NQT, in between posting on Mafia Universe.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2016, 11:13:36 am »

Is it me, or is a Dreadlord that instantly Poisons (day- and then night-) folks pretty screwy? That would (potentially) require day-Curing, and many people would end up harmed on the first day, which could end up with plenty of kills in a succession and few ways to stop it.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »

Is it me, or is a Dreadlord that instantly Poisons (day- and then night-) folks pretty screwy? That would (potentially) require day-Curing, and many people would end up harmed on the first day, which could end up with plenty of kills in a succession and few ways to stop it.
Remember the team kill limit still applies to the Dreadlord, so there'd be at most one extra death per phase, but yes, it could be more destructive than intended.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2016, 01:59:07 pm »

Changeling seems a bit OP for what it is.

You could keep taking level 1 spells for the entire game, then swap it for someone who might have specialized a bit more, and then use a level 1 spell to take everything from another player.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »

Possibilities I was considering:
- They don't know at all unless they are circumspect, so you could have wounded players use blood magic and accidentally kill themselves. Stronger for the scum team (they could speculatively wound a lot of players and wait to see who uses blood magic).
- They're informed of their current health at the end of each phase (with effects much like above, but they'd soon figure out there was scum wounding them)
- Or, most kind to town, players always know their wound level and are blocked from using blood magic if they've been wounded that phase.
NQT: I'd go for the second option.  Always knowing wound level would probably be a bit much info for town in an already info-filled game, and not knowing at all would be ridiculous.  Just imagine these soon-to-be-great mages completely missing their serious wounds.

I think the reason why I underestimated the strength of track/protect is that in previous CYOMs basically no one ever took them, but this would push too many people to take them.
Key thing to recognize about power balance here is that this is not like prior CYOMs.  In prior games, buying powers meant less access to other powers.  Here, it means more access.  Very different power selection process means somewhat different selections.

Also, these are not the same powers as in previous CYOMs.  The protect here gives protection from a quarter of the powers in the game, not just kills, and track and watch are not weakened by a masquerade system.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »

Thinking about making a (rather simple) semi-bastard towards the end of this month. Could probably have someone review it though, especially since I've never run a semi-bastard before.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2016, 06:29:54 pm »

I'm happy for you to PM me or email the details.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 01, 2016, 10:40:58 am »

Gauging interest in a game here.

Power Hungry Mafia - So basically what Leafsnail (I think) called Xylbot's chaos mode:  Everyone gets totally randomly assigned powers.  And a double-handful of them to boot.

This is basically going to be a "for funsies" type of game.  Everyone going into it knows it'll be an unbalanced hot mess, and it's mostly going to revolve around playing with various abilities and seeing what kind of batshit setup gets generated.  Days will be short (48 hours?) with one extension (+24 hrs?), nights are 24 hours, and weekends don't count.  This might be a bit more "casual" game as I foresee the day game being light since the main focus is on having lots of abilities.

So just seeing if there would be enough interest to bother throwing something like this up on the queue or not.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 01, 2016, 11:25:10 am »

Gauging interest in a game here.

Power Hungry Mafia - So basically what Leafsnail (I think) called Xylbot's chaos mode:  Everyone gets totally randomly assigned powers.  And a double-handful of them to boot.

This is basically going to be a "for funsies" type of game.  Everyone going into it knows it'll be an unbalanced hot mess, and it's mostly going to revolve around playing with various abilities and seeing what kind of batshit setup gets generated.  Days will be short (48 hours?) with one extension (+24 hrs?), nights are 24 hours, and weekends don't count.  This might be a bit more "casual" game as I foresee the day game being light since the main focus is on having lots of abilities.

So just seeing if there would be enough interest to bother throwing something like this up on the queue or not.
This is Bay 12 to the max really, it'll go down a storm.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 01, 2016, 11:39:34 am »

To be honest, that's what most Shakeragian games are about, so I'm for it. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 01, 2016, 02:42:01 pm »

Sure.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 01, 2016, 02:47:39 pm »

Pisskop wants to run reverse mafia.

A 8 person game whre the mafia want to get lynched and the town want to reach parity with the mafia.  by getting lynched.

Its got no night to it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 62