Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 141

Author Topic: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-  (Read 172167 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-
« Reply #555 on: January 04, 2017, 09:51:32 am »

You can't skimp out on rum, always buy bermudan and if you can't, better to dry a bit

Also when in doubt, always paddle into sublime darkness. Discovery over there awaits

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 04, 2017, 09:58:55 am »

I was mixing it with Canada Dry LOL :P  No wonder I dreamed about college. Though I always hated the vodka even in soda. Even bottom shelf rum's better to me.

Maybe I'll try some real rum sometime. Expensive whisky and bourbon were actually pretty impressive, I recall.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #557 on: January 04, 2017, 01:25:12 pm »

I was mixing it with Canada Dry LOL :P  No wonder I dreamed about college. Though I always hated the vodka even in soda. Even bottom shelf rum's better to me.

Maybe I'll try some real rum sometime. Expensive whisky and bourbon were actually pretty impressive, I recall.
Reminds me of the time I was tearing down the garden fence with my neighbour - the fence had rotted over with time, and a storm had damaged what already needed replacing. Breaking it all up we got the posts together and all the boards and made a bonfire that burned from day till night, and there was no better time than at the end of the day with all work done to sit by the fire drinking a 15 year old scotch whisky made nowhere else than in Scotland; that right there, perfection to nourish the soul.

By contrast today I had a £3 scotch whisky from the Sainsbury's value aisle which is best described as brain bleach and little else more. Vodka's all right as long as you have radishes, but never had a bourbon whiskey, they any good? Also it's rather surprising just how much you can tell about the history of a nation simply by its drinks

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2017, 03:32:51 pm »

I don't really consider myself an expert on alcohol.  I was straightedge for so long, and most of my drinking is... semi-private?  I drink socially sometimes on the rare occasions I'm social.  Yet I so often feel obligated to share my honey'd experiences online.
Reminders of a different time... so dark, and so light.  No... dark, and wonderful.
Enough of those feels!  I'm still wondering (literally wonder-ing) about the differences between beer/wine/liquor.

I'll offer my own experiences, in the hopes that people will share their own:

Beer: A brief respite, or a social unwinding.  Or, with volume, a particularly shameful and opulent revelry.  Because of either the scrumptious taste, or the latter labor of cleaning up all the bottles.  Expensive and tasty.
Wine: Bacchus, in a glass.  Everything must be shared.  It's probably the fructose [the honey], but wine makes me reach out and connect with people.  Arguably the most dangerous.  Or, the best high.
Liquor: Unpredictable.  Intense.  Always underestimated.  It only hurts at first...  Mm, hits me right in the core.  Always a wild ride, with many regrets.  Staring straight into burning truth.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 05, 2017, 06:49:18 pm »

Cheap Beer: The lowest common denominator among alcohols, it tastes of manual labour and social acceptance.
Expensive Beer: A heady mix of ironic names, eye-catching labels and marketing.
Cheap Wine: When you abandon all pretence of caring about anything more than finding solace in inebriation, this will welcome you home with open arms.
Expensive Wine: Gravid with history and self-importance, it's a drink for those hoping to find refinement at the bottom of their glass.
Cheap Spirits: It will always bring me memories of teen years spent mixing barely drinkable distilled ethanol with entirely undrinkable colas.
Expensive Spirits: Best enjoyed with friends and purchased from a bartender by the glass, since bringing one home will likely end in a terrible waste.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2017, 09:21:44 pm »

Hey, you forget Traditional Local Beer: It tastes of home, and the many good hours you spent under its influence. It's like lighting a little cozy fire of malt and hops, then sitting around it telling stories. It connects you to your forebears, your fellow drinkers, to the land, and to its history. It makes you part of the bigger whole, it gives a comfort nothing else can match.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2017, 09:52:03 pm »

No such thing where I'm from. Australia doesn't have an ancient tradition of beer-making like Europe or other places, unless you count a few hundred years as 'tradition'. We're too young as a nation on the whole.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 07, 2017, 10:19:59 pm »

Doesn't XXXX Gold count? I think it counts.
I remember an amusing moment where a foreign band was chanting their lyric, "raise the chalice!", and I'm there waving this little yellow tin. Man, I miss fourex. Might grab a slab for the party next week.    

Anyway, a couple of posts about my day yesterday made their way into emotion threads rather than this one, but believe me much Drunk was had.
Don't think I got around to trying any of the unusual-looking bottled beers I was eyeing off in the fridge at the bar, but oh well.
The Melbourne Bitter I stuck to for the most part was quite satisfactory. Other than that there was a pint of Coopers, a bourbon and coke, and... whatever the hell I may have drank during the gaps/gap in my memory, ha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 08, 2017, 03:41:24 am »

Ah yes, the infamous gold cans. As the story goes, Queensland named it's local brew XXXX because they couldn't spell 'beer.' Still, we also claim Bundaberg Rum as part of our state alcohol claim to history, so there is that. Mostly because it's good sugar cane country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:22 pm »

Couldn't spell beer??  Sorry, is it even possible to explain that to a silly Yankee of USA?

Also, uh....  good events aside... or perhaps because?
Fairly drunk.  Which, actually woooo feels damn good!

But also uh maybe I posted a reply to my EXCEPTIONALLY confrontational brother on Facebook, oops.
It was on my matter of expertise, but uh...

Not actually all that worried, I'll just ignore him till it blows over lol

* Rolan7 is ever like a bubble about to burst.  If bursting only reset the nigh... the situation.
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 10, 2017, 11:30:54 pm »

They said...  "S'just family!"
Were worried as I was,

When pressed, he offered some of thing things he was were [southern] holding back.  Trump... hating Clinton...  Jesus...  All in the context of "We definitely *DON'T* want to press this on you, you're welcome anytime.
You're... welcome any time...
Not even, but more "please come visit us".  Which, yeah, they're lonely, but...  Like I'm not!?

I think I've hit the line where I don't care how this comes across.  Except for once I think it comes across pretty nice.
They're sweet, and I'm definitely going to visit them again.  And it's going to be so great.

Mmhm.
and afterwards I'm going to drink myself into a gaia-fucking stupor to ease the feels I "can not even".

And I'll feel so much better from the contact.
And now, to stop spamming bay12, and getting RIGHTLY drunk... YEAH!
She/they

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:31 am »

Ah yes, the infamous gold cans. As the story goes, Queensland named it's local brew XXXX because they couldn't spell 'beer.' Still, we also claim Bundaberg Rum as part of our state alcohol claim to history, so there is that. Mostly because it's good sugar cane country.
Naw, it's because the rating system for beer quality consisted of one, two or three "X"s.
Castlemaine's new beer was so good that they had to add a fourth one just to show how great it was! :D

Bundy's? Urgh, that stuff pretty much turned me off rum. And carpeted my house.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 11, 2017, 05:25:37 am »

I admit, XXXX Summer isn't half bad though. I got a 6-pack on my way home tonight, and they're going down a treat. Much prefer the lime over the mango ones though, the lime is good with the sour taste complimenting the bitter, whereas the mango's just too sweet and overpowers the taste of the beer.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 13, 2017, 04:08:30 pm »

Why the hell am I still occasionally watching Mad Men (just got into season 3).
Every joke goes above my head and I fucking hate the entire time period.
Oh yeah that's why!  Those are the reasons!

Also I empathize with Peggy, even though I shouldn't.  That's good writing.  And Don being a sociopath is interesting too.  Like Dexter was.  It's nice to see other people also have trouble with social matters, even if it's a whole different level.
Shit, is that like a carnival sideshow?  I don't think it's like that, I just think it makes one think.
I guess one typically doesn't empathize with carnival freaks.  It's not the primary audience, anyway.

Seriously though this show is often super boring, and the visual subtext is very important.  Which makes it terrible for my "watch while doing other things" quota.  And yet it has qualities, I guess.
She/they

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 13, 2017, 10:01:15 pm »

I felt exactly the same when I watched the first season of The Walking Dead. After about five episodes I was seriously rooting for the zombies to just come in and end these whiny people who are too stupid to exist.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 141