Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Toaster Vs Piecewise: Knock out is an Understatement  (Read 35080 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I do hope, Piecewise, that if you were hypothetically running such a game involving chainsaws, that they would be a realistically impractical weapon. >.> It always disappoints me when I see these zombie-type movies where the characters wield chainsaws to cut through bone with ease... I mean, maybe if said bone was all rotten and stuff, but cutting through a healthy skeleton?
The thing would kick-back and possibly injure you, if you weren't wearing sufficient protective gear.
Human bone is pretty strong, after all!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Does great swords have a flamberge? I can't see the document right now.
added

I do hope, Piecewise, that if you were hypothetically running such a game involving chainsaws, that they would be a realistically impractical weapon. >.> It always disappoints me when I see these zombie-type movies where the characters wield chainsaws to cut through bone with ease... I mean, maybe if said bone was all rotten and stuff, but cutting through a healthy skeleton?
The thing would kick-back and possibly injure you, if you weren't wearing sufficient protective gear.
Human bone is pretty strong, after all!
Depends on what they do with it.

And, if you must know, chainsaws aren't good weapons real world weapons not because they have a hard time getting through bone or kick back or anything (bone is hard but it's not that hard) but because they've very slow. Take a (comparatively)long time to cut very deep, and unlike a tree, opponents ain't just gonna stand there. Still, things like the meteor hammer and urumi are basically equally esoteric, difficult to use and potentially self damaging but thats never stopped people form using them. 

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Hmmm. I'll have to test this...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Yeah, the reason chainsaws "kick back" and all is because they can't cut fast enough to follow with the swing. The chain's blades are meant to chip off wood in a controlled fashion, so a regular chainsaw would make a good torture weapon, but not a combat one.

But you could make a combat one, theoretically, if you changed the chain to have tiny curved blades instead of the wood-chipping ones. The single line of many edges would allow for a much faster cut, and bone could be cut much easier than with any regular weapon due to the many moving edges. It'd result in a very lousy wood-cutting tool, however, since the wood-chipper blades also help the saw move its entire width through the solid material of the wood, which won't happen with the combat version.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Hmmm. I'll have to test this...

There's also the problem of pressure. See, you can easily cut through a humerus or shinbone assuming you can get some good pressure on it so the grinding, ripping action of the chain can work it's magic. Problem being that no one is just gonna keep their arm there, or push back against it.

When you're attempting to kill someone with a chainsaw in real life, you basically either gotta stab them with it in the gut, since the flesh will sort of squish in and is soft enough to let you do some good damage even if they jump or fall back quickly or you gotta cut at the neck or armpit. Major arteries near the surface. Because the chainsaw is great for that; rending up soft tissue.

Why are you all looking at me like that.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from:  The Doc
Tesla Gauntlet:

I applaud you for your impeccable taste, good sir. :D  Guess what I'm currently trying to make in ER

Also, is there any official stance on magical weapons? Like, say, Ivy's whip-sword from Soul Calibur?
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Why are you all looking at me like that.
Oh, I'm sorry, what? I was just copying your notes from the blackboard.
...And in a very unusual note, I was actually just thinking about the impracticality of a chainsaw as a weapon while at work today, and came to this same conclusion, where if I had to, I'd go for the gut, then the neck.
I'm actually serious, I had this exact line of thought. It's creepy.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

chainsaws are also horribly heavy, loud, and horribly unbalanced. They also have a rather short range (especially for a two-handed weapon), and of course, they require fuel. ll in all, the Chinese paper fan is a much better weapon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

chainsaws are also horribly heavy, loud, and horribly unbalanced. They also have a rather short range (especially for a two-handed weapon), and of course, they require fuel. ll in all, the Chinese paper fan is a much better weapon.
I bet you still wouldn't like to fight someone with a chainsaw if all you had was a paper fan, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A chainsaw wins out in that it's an actively damaging weapon. Most everything else, you are safe as long as you restrain its business end, catch it, or block it. A chainsaw will actively deal damage to anything you may block it with, and it being a short and heavy two-handed weapon means that its strikes are that much harder to block, and have that much more of the wielder's strength behind them.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile

Except the fact that they are very unwieldy and ungainly. Also, it depends on the chainsaw. You could have one with a 1' and a half chain length, or a 3' one like one of my more redneckish friends has.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Except the fact that they are very unwieldy and ungainly. Also, it depends on the chainsaw. You could have one with a 1' and a half chain length, or a 3' one like one of my more redneckish friends has.
I guess it depends on if the chainsaw is a specially made "COMBAT CHAINSAW" or a standard one. Because I assume a specially made one could be balanced and miniaturized in certain places to make it more effective.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

I don't see the abosolutely mandatory puppet category. :P
Jokes aside, you should add wazikashi and crossbow. Normal whips also seem to be missing.
Shields are empty, so you should add tower shields, the roman square shields whose-name-I-don't-know, at least.
Kunai and throwing knives should be added to throwing weapons as well.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I don't see the abosolutely mandatory puppet category. :P
Jokes aside, you should add wazikashi and crossbow. Normal whips also seem to be missing.
Shields are empty, so you should add tower shields, the roman square shields whose-name-I-don't-know, at least.
Kunai and throwing knives should be added to throwing weapons as well.
I have, in the rules FOR THIS GAME THAT DOESN'T EXIST I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, a skill for "Improvised weapons" which would include the use of basically anything that isn't a normal weapon as a weapon. So if you want  puppet, go there. If you want a bench, go there. If you want a potted plant or a lobster, or a shoe horn or a cheese grater or a lamp, go there.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cheese-grater-chucks?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23