Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 214774 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #390 on: May 15, 2014, 11:28:41 pm »

It IS the simplest explanation, neh?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 16, 2014, 06:08:23 am »

So, basically, to sum it up, anything that can be launched explosive-wise Simus pretty much has it covered?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2014, 06:24:45 am »

Anything conventional, yes. Simus has made a very good grenade launcher, which is probably all one needs.

Though if you want something cheaper or more powerful or more unconventional, like a custom built fusion instigator or a nuke rocket or a kinetic amp tipped mortar or a crossbow that shoots genades of Miyamoto's Bubbly Foam of Not Hurting, you can always try building that.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2014, 06:30:27 am »

Anything conventional, yes. Simus has made a very good grenade launcher, which is probably all one needs.

Though if you want something cheaper or more powerful or more unconventional, like a custom built fusion instigator or a nuke rocket or a kinetic amp tipped mortar or a crossbow that shoots genades of Miyamoto's Bubbly Foam of Not Hurting, you can always try building that.

My intention is to create foam nades that are compatible with existing nade launchers, to streamline hardware requirements.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #394 on: May 16, 2014, 10:09:58 am »

So, for my first project, I wanted to make a deadlier grenade for the launcher I'm getting. First off, Michael pulls up all info on all standard grenade launchers and Simus's custom job(if that isn't encrypted).
Encrypted. But I assume you've learned what you needed from all the posts after yours.

...I was going to say automanips don't overload, but then again Steve did warn us of a possible overload in the ship's coilgun automanip, didn't he?

Well, in any case, it's still a terrible and unreliable idea.  A high-yield nuclear device is more reliable, and probably cheaper.  Easier too.

Also, Piecewise, why do the normal manipulator batteries output such a strong electrical charge?

Who said they do?

You, nearly two years ago.

"ALL field manipulator batteries: 4 TPU"

Note that laser rifle batteries output the same amount, although we actually know how long they can supply that.  Field manip batteries just give four zaps of indeterminate length, for all we know.
eh....well, it's a bit spoilery but the electricity from those is from a normal battery. It's used for the basic electronics and screen of the manipulator, as well as to power a start up sequence. Like a Catalyst.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 16, 2014, 09:27:50 pm »

Start writing a new program for the MKIII, called the Aim-Bot

Basic Goal: Use the MKIII and AUX skill to aid in aiming CON weapons

Basic Features: After calibrating with a CON weapon (likely by firing the weapon a few times at a target), displays an accurate targeting reticule for that weapon. Possibly basic range-finding
             Passive? Gives a sort of weak failure protection (can still roll poorly and miss, but cannot cause friendly fire in most cases. As in, I could still shoot someone behind or in front of my target, but not someone to my left)

Advanced Features: After calibration, User can select a target. The program will then use the MKIII Exoskeleton to aim and steady the weapon at the target.
             Activated AUX roll to use, gives some bonus to firing. (I can think of a lot of applicable bonus's, not sure which one you'd go for. Range bonus, aiming bonus, general CON bonus, dynamic bonus, AUX-replace-CON, etc. Not sure which one or at what power you feel is balanced.)

Main (intended) Downside: Requires per-weapon calibration to function. The program will not work immediately with any CON weapon, it needs to be calibrated for a specific weapon. Maybe you have different ideas about the calibration, PW, my thought was that it would require firing the weapon a few times at a few different ranges, but could potentially involve studying the weapon carefully and manually calibrating the system. (Handi + Aux roll? Or Con + Aux?) It could also be limited in how many weapons it can be calibrated for at once

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:33:20 pm by Kriellya »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2014, 07:52:23 am »

Now that the chem mix is ok, try to modify the namite launcher to also accept sticky foam canisters. The sticky foam canisters would hold both solutions, in separate compartments. They mix inside a small mixing chamber in the container, start expanding a few meters out of the nozzle.
(Doing it like this so that one could have 1 launcher for multiple kinds of ammo).

In fact, try to change the namite thrower so that it can easily accept different kinds of containers.

If needed, ask Pancaek for help and/or permission.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:19:18 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2014, 08:16:01 am »

Now that the chem mix is ok, try to modify the namite launcher to also accept sticky foam canisters. The sticky foam canisters would hold both solutions, in separate compartments. They mix inside the tubing, start expanding a few meters out of the nozzle.
(Doing it like this so that one could have 1 launcher for multiple kinds of ammo).

In fact, try to change the namite thrower so that it can easily accept different kinds of containers.

If needed, ask Pancaek for help and/or permission.

regardless of wether it actually needed or not, full permission is granted

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2014, 08:17:13 am »

Translocator/Blink module:

Three automanipulators: 2 of the vector(or kinetic, whichever is best) kind and one of the electctromagnetic kind.
The two vector manipulators are positioned in an armoured sphere and can move to point anywhere inside it.

It works like this: 1 vector automanip speeds you up to as fast as possible (a fraction of c) and the other applies the same effect in the opposite direction. The electromangetic automanip nullifies all outside electrical and magnetic forces in the area the user occupies from the time the first vector automanip is activated, to the time the second is activated (or a set amount of time if variable operation time is not possible). Since that time should be presumably short, it should have little adverse effects for the user.

This should allow someone to be transported almost instantaneously between two locations, even through walls, provided the material the wall is made of isn't very dense (since atoms are mostly empty space and without electrical forces there's only the weak and strong nuclear forces that can have any sort of effect). The distance moved can be controlled by the delay between activation of the second automanip. It can also be used to alter one's speed by positioning the two vector automanipulators at an angle.

Is this possible? If yes, cost and danger of operation?

I'm willing to explain further or make a small drawing of how it would work if necessary.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:51:43 am by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2014, 08:39:24 am »

Might want to add something that keeps your body from falling apart, too. Electromagnetic forces are also what keeps atoms together...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2014, 08:48:26 am »

Unless vector manips are basically perfect, that is going to end very badly for your VR dummy.  Not saying they aren't perfect, just saying they might be.  More importantly, they have a very defined area of effect, (at least, the one's we're allowed to play with.  Frigging plasma projector.) so you'll be launching a lot of extra atoms.  Worse, you (probably) can't phase the automanips while they're manipulating, so they have to stay in place.

Also, gravity works harder on the atoms in your feet than in your head, so some of your atoms are going to drift simply because of that.  It may be minor, but having your atoms move any real distance in relation to others is probably really bad.  Another problem is that there's a lot of atoms just floating around, even in air, and suddenly having a bunch of *new* atoms all with electrical repulsion of their own in their everywhere is probably going to be quite explosive.  You would have to either phase into a vacuum, or remove the atoms at your arrival point.

Lastly, those automanips are going to be very big and expensive.  Yes, they'll be accelerating particles that are effectively in a vacuum, so there will be no friction, but they're still making a lot of mass go at a high speed.  Unless you mean "Fraction of c" like "My car technically moves at a fraction of c!"

PREPOSTEDIT: Actually, isn't 'heat' just atoms vibrating really fast?  That would mean the moment you release the electrical bonds, you would scatter off in every direction at already massive speeds.  You would have to cool yourself to absolute zero first, and even then I'm not sure if atoms stop vibrating.  My knowledge of atomic physics is insufficient to really know.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:57 am »

Absolute zero is, by definition, the temperature where atoms stop moving.
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 18, 2014, 09:09:02 am »

That's what I figured, but I'm honestly not sure.  Wasn't there something funky with it being functionally impossible to truly reach absolute zero?  Am I confusing this with the idea that even deep space isn't at absolute zero?  I don't know!

I guess you can probably circumvent it using automanips even if there is some rule though. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2014, 10:28:08 am »

It's impossible to reach absolute zero, yes. And yes, space is a few degrees warmer than absolute zero.

Space magic might subvert that, I guess, but it's probably still subject to Heisenberg uncertainty.
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 18, 2014, 11:28:02 am »

You're much better off experimenting with quantum entanglement for teleportation. We already use it for long-range comms.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 127