Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 214780 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #870 on: November 11, 2014, 12:46:16 pm »

Neat, thanks.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #871 on: December 08, 2014, 06:33:05 pm »

Is it possible to get out of the battlesuit but have it keep flying in a certain direction? Something like an autopilot?
The way I'm thinking about it is this:
People can shoot weapons while flying.
That means that there is probably some sort of simplified flight mode that allows people to fly without requiring them to fully control the suit, its orientation, how much fuel it is using, etc.
They probably use part of their body combined with existing sensor data to specify a direction for the suit to move and a speed and the flight computer takes care of the rest, allowing the pilot to move their body more freely, without worrying that a small movement might screw their flight path.
Thus, if you lock the suit in the correct position or if you input the right command in its computer, it should keep flying (roughly) in the same direction.

I'm imagining something like the following scenario:
There's something I need to shoot/C4/grab inside a spaceship hovering above a spot.
I blow a hole to the side of the spaceship, get out of Gilgamesh and jump inside.
I shoot things that need shooting, C4 things that need C4ing and grab things that need grabbing.
I get out through the hole on the other side, jump, grab Gilgamesh and get back inside him.

Yes, I know that doing the above is probably not a very good idea and that there are better ways of achieving the same result, but hey, it will look good. And there might be a very rare situation where having the ability to do the above will turn out to be useful.
For example, if something is about to explode and I can't get the rest of the team away from it in time and nobody has an amp or something that can deal with it, I could pull a Batman and have the battlesuit move it away on its own instead of going for the heroic sacrifice. Bonus points if I can get people to believe I actually sacrificed myself for a second, before Steve snarkily tells them otherwise.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 09, 2014, 03:06:59 pm »

I still have my murderbot cpu, should you ever want to install an autopilot.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #873 on: December 11, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »

Is it possible to get out of the battlesuit but have it keep flying in a certain direction? Something like an autopilot?
The way I'm thinking about it is this:
People can shoot weapons while flying.
That means that there is probably some sort of simplified flight mode that allows people to fly without requiring them to fully control the suit, its orientation, how much fuel it is using, etc.
They probably use part of their body combined with existing sensor data to specify a direction for the suit to move and a speed and the flight computer takes care of the rest, allowing the pilot to move their body more freely, without worrying that a small movement might screw their flight path.
Thus, if you lock the suit in the correct position or if you input the right command in its computer, it should keep flying (roughly) in the same direction.

I'm imagining something like the following scenario:
There's something I need to shoot/C4/grab inside a spaceship hovering above a spot.
I blow a hole to the side of the spaceship, get out of Gilgamesh and jump inside.
I shoot things that need shooting, C4 things that need C4ing and grab things that need grabbing.
I get out through the hole on the other side, jump, grab Gilgamesh and get back inside him.

Yes, I know that doing the above is probably not a very good idea and that there are better ways of achieving the same result, but hey, it will look good. And there might be a very rare situation where having the ability to do the above will turn out to be useful.
For example, if something is about to explode and I can't get the rest of the team away from it in time and nobody has an amp or something that can deal with it, I could pull a Batman and have the battlesuit move it away on its own instead of going for the heroic sacrifice. Bonus points if I can get people to believe I actually sacrificed myself for a second, before Steve snarkily tells them otherwise.
The suit can perform actions autonomously but it isn't the same as an auto pilot. Basically, you can create a list of actions for the suit to take "ie burn for 30 seconds, close right hand, walk forward" and it will perform them. However, it's not intelligent; it has some stabilization systems, to help with walking and recoil, but if you program it to walk forward and it walks into a wall, it will just keep walking into that wall until its taken the number of steps it needs to.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 11, 2014, 02:45:06 pm »

Or the wall gives up.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 12, 2014, 07:33:55 am »

Or the wall gives up.
I can just see the man shaped holes dotting every defensive wall around the galaxy.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 16, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

Quick Price Check: How much Pistol can I get for one token? Not energy laser pewpew pistols, something kinetic.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 16, 2014, 04:46:55 pm »

Quick Price Check: How much Pistol can I get for one token? Not energy laser pewpew pistols, something kinetic.

At least 7.4 decipistol, I think.

Also, kinetic, as in gauss or the real life ones with gunpowder (or modern equivalent)?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 16, 2014, 04:53:22 pm »

Also, kinetic, as in gauss or the real life ones with gunpowder (or modern equivalent)?
Whatever works, really.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #879 on: December 16, 2014, 05:04:30 pm »

You could get a civilian gauss pistol. Or rifle. You could even ask for a silenced civilian gauss pistol.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

You could get a civilian gauss pistol. Or rifle. You could even ask for a silenced civilian gauss pistol.
Oh yeah, I'm sure I can get something. Just wondering what 1 token will get me: is it enough for the super-fancy handguns, or only cheap models, or something in the middle? In the end, I'm not certain it would make that big of a difference either way, but wouldn't mind knowing if there's meaningful differences.

I wonder if you'd need to silence a gauss pistol?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #881 on: December 16, 2014, 06:21:16 pm »

Joker Team had silenced gauss handguns, although I don't know how that works. Low velocity high mass bullet shaped for maximum penetration so that there is no sonic boom?
Although the sonic boom really would not be that much trouble, since it would sound more like a very loud whistling.
Maybe the sound is not from the bullets but from the components of the gauss rifle deforming due to the high energy? Something like the noise some capacitors or transformers make? Or bending of metal due to temperature? I have no idea.
The point is, silenced gauss pistols exist in this universe, therefore they must have a reason to exist.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #882 on: December 18, 2014, 04:35:43 pm »

Oh yeah, I'm sure I can get something. Just wondering what 1 token will get me: is it enough for the super-fancy handguns, or only cheap models, or something in the middle? In the end, I'm not certain it would make that big of a difference either way, but wouldn't mind knowing if there's meaningful differences.

I wonder if you'd need to silence a gauss pistol?
You could get basically any kind of non-gauss kinetic pistol for one token. Silenced, gold plated, whatever you want.

Joker Team had silenced gauss handguns, although I don't know how that works. Low velocity high mass bullet shaped for maximum penetration so that there is no sonic boom?
Although the sonic boom really would not be that much trouble, since it would sound more like a very loud whistling.
Maybe the sound is not from the bullets but from the components of the gauss rifle deforming due to the high energy? Something like the noise some capacitors or transformers make? Or bending of metal due to temperature? I have no idea.
The point is, silenced gauss pistols exist in this universe, therefore they must have a reason to exist.
Yeah, mostly just insulated to prevent sounds from the charging and discharge of the parts. It's also less powerful so it doesn't blow holes straight through the target and the wall behind it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 05, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »

Create sharkmist nanobots that're really good at eating things but can't procreate and have a limited lifespan before 'burning out'. Have them activate when they don't receive a (radio)signal (or another system, just train of thought here) which is created from a weak short ranged source in the weapon. Put it into modified chem thrower, maybe with carrier matrix. Spray stream of bots at things and watch them dissolve before your very eyes!

Just curious, but would something like this be possible? And more in general, what about programming or designing bots with certain properties to do stuff we need it to?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #884 on: January 05, 2015, 01:43:16 pm »

((Just a reminder that sharkmist is made out of living organisms created to construct large structures, in this case giant antennas.
On the other hand blacksand is made out of nanobots that can use almost any sort of energy to power themselves.))
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 127