Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216160 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #900 on: February 06, 2015, 02:46:00 pm »

MCP was Simus's Mechanical Counter-Pressure suit, skintight to protect from vacuum. The replacement for Mk I... which should've probably become standard equipment by now, or will very soon.

So, MCP-II: MCP-I plus medical system and the neck iris of Mk II and a small tank of fleshknitter to boot. How much?

By the way, if the user suffered, say, a gauss rifle perforating shot, would the fleshknitter be able to seal off the blood loss? What about catching a stray non-nuclear HGC shot (in a way that does not turn you into paste)?

As for the exoskeleton, let's ditch it altogether. But keep the wall-walking soles - those are basically free, right?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 07, 2015, 09:09:11 am »

Remember those training vids, the ones for insurgent npc's? Well, the last batch are the general strategy ones. Could you give me an idea on what kind of format you'd like that in, and how much detail? Just a very broad idea will do.

Secondly, Could you describe the plasma projector? How does it look, inside and outside? When I pull the trigger, what happens inside of the gun?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:12:28 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #902 on: February 07, 2015, 02:18:43 pm »

What's the feasibility of jump gates? Space stations that accelerate small ships through jump points and decelerate them on the other side if needed. Can that be done? Either with space magic vector manips or giant space coilguns or solar-sail-like things accelerated by lasers?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #903 on: February 09, 2015, 01:02:16 pm »

What's the feasibility of jump gates? Space stations that accelerate small ships through jump points and decelerate them on the other side if needed. Can that be done? Either with space magic vector manips or giant space coilguns or solar-sail-like things accelerated by lasers?
It's the sort of thing which is possible, assuming the ships can survive the acceleration.

Remember those training vids, the ones for insurgent npc's? Well, the last batch are the general strategy ones. Could you give me an idea on what kind of format you'd like that in, and how much detail? Just a very broad idea will do.

Secondly, Could you describe the plasma projector? How does it look, inside and outside? When I pull the trigger, what happens inside of the gun?

Well, something along the lines of a outline of the material being presented and how it is presented would be good. You know,  a bulleted list of the stuff being covered with a small summary of the goals of the video at the bottom.

MCP was Simus's Mechanical Counter-Pressure suit, skintight to protect from vacuum. The replacement for Mk I... which should've probably become standard equipment by now, or will very soon.

So, MCP-II: MCP-I plus medical system and the neck iris of Mk II and a small tank of fleshknitter to boot. How much?

By the way, if the user suffered, say, a gauss rifle perforating shot, would the fleshknitter be able to seal off the blood loss? What about catching a stray non-nuclear HGC shot (in a way that does not turn you into paste)?

As for the exoskeleton, let's ditch it altogether. But keep the wall-walking soles - those are basically free, right?

1. Hmmm...Well, MKI are free, MkII's are 5 and their only real addition is the medical system. Say 5. Mostly because of the addition of the fleshknitter too.

2. Seal off the bloodloss? Probably yeah. As per that one...lets say the round just tears your damn arm off or whatever. I forget the MCP for the most part...but if I remember right it's a thing which uses negative pressure or something to seal small holes in the suit right? I'm not sure how that would react to having a whole limb ripped off. Ask simus, but the medical system, originally, was designed to use an iris to cut above the point of trauma and then seal the wound. Without the irises the thing is just gonna kinda have to spray fleshknitter in the general area and hope it works.

3.Free enough not to matter.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 09, 2015, 01:40:09 pm »

Could you describe the plasma projector? How does it look, inside and outside? When I pull the trigger, what happens inside of the gun?

Secondly, can things like plasma ball size, temperature and speed of the projectile be altered, and if yes, to what extent?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #905 on: February 09, 2015, 03:15:13 pm »

Do people have to be in stasis during travel through jump points?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:53:16 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 09, 2015, 05:25:30 pm »

Do people have to be in stasis during space travel?
Just to answer this prematurely, I'm pretty sure they don't but they might get too old on the way to their destination and the jump transit kills people IIRC so they stasis.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #907 on: February 09, 2015, 06:52:56 pm »

Do people have to be in stasis during space travel?
Just to answer this prematurely, I'm pretty sure they don't but they might get too old on the way to their destination and the jump transit kills people IIRC so they stasis.
I meant jump points, yes. I'll edit to clarify.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:24 pm »

Run the simulation through several variants of limbs torn off, then holes punched through flesh (say, thigh or something - without ripping off the leg, just a nice awful gaping through and through hole) and through flesh with cavities (shot to the guts, etc.). Can the fleshknitter keep the user alive and (somewhat) able?

Can the fleshknitter tank size be safely decreased without impacting the performance as tested above? Also, could it work with just coagulant boosters instead of fleshknitter?

And how much would adding back the irises system increase the cost? What about leaving only the most crucial ones (say, one for each limb plus maybe a cross-torso one if it ever existed)?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:52:42 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 11, 2015, 11:09:06 am »

2. Seal off the bloodloss? Probably yeah. As per that one...lets say the round just tears your damn arm off or whatever. I forget the MCP for the most part...but if I remember right it's a thing which uses negative pressure or something to seal small holes in the suit right? I'm not sure how that would react to having a whole limb ripped off. Ask simus, but the medical system, originally, was designed to use an iris to cut above the point of trauma and then seal the wound. Without the irises the thing is just gonna kinda have to spray fleshknitter in the general area and hope it works.

It uses mechanical pressure to prevent total decompression in event of rupture, nothing more or less. There's still a hole in the suit, but decompression effects remain localized (unfortunately, the only effects I know would happen would have the skin unbroken at the start - with a cut, it could act like a normal wound, foam from outgassing, or (not likely) spray like you hit an artery. With traumatic amputation, it could act like a weak tourniquet for all I know).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #910 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:29 am »

Do people have to be in stasis during travel through jump points?
The jump point isn't the problem. Traveling through it is both instantaneous and completely uneventful, at least from the perspective of an observer on the ship. The problem is that the ship has to be going very quickly to "use" the point. And while we could just accurate at 1 g for a long period and everyone could sit around and wait while we traveled, under normal circumstances we accelerate at several g's, enough to kill you. Stasis is a way to protect you from the acceleration and to pass the time needed to accelerate.

Could you describe the plasma projector? How does it look, inside and outside? When I pull the trigger, what happens inside of the gun?

Secondly, can things like plasma ball size, temperature and speed of the projectile be altered, and if yes, to what extent?

As of right now, the standard one is rather useless as a platform to build upon. Mainly because it isn't much more then a tube with an automanip inside it. There's no real complex mechanisms or anything to tinker with.

Run the simulation through several variants of limbs torn off, then holes punched through flesh (say, thigh or something - without ripping off the leg, just a nice awful gaping through and through hole) and through flesh with cavities (shot to the guts, etc.). Can the fleshknitter keep the user alive and (somewhat) able?

Can the fleshknitter tank size be safely decreased without impacting the performance as tested above? Also, could it work with just coagulant boosters instead of fleshknitter?

And how much would adding back the irises system increase the cost? What about leaving only the most crucial ones (say, one for each limb plus maybe a cross-torso one if it ever existed)?

According to some talking I've been doing with others, large punctures of the suit AND the person inside would be...well they would be rather unpleasant. Toothpaste tubes being squeezed is a good analogy.  That combined with the fact that the fleshknitter will have a much harder time working effectively without the irises makes me think adding those irises back is a good idea.

Putting the irises back wouldn't cost anything, they're simple things.

You could only use the most important ones, if you were so inclined. But that would mean losing the entire arm for a bad wound on the hand.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 11, 2015, 11:46:45 am »

As of right now, the standard one is rather useless as a platform to build upon. Mainly because it isn't much more then a tube with an automanip inside it. There's no real complex mechanisms or anything to tinker with.

Wait, so everything is done by an automanip, from creating the plasma and containment field to firing it?

Would it be possible to replace part of what the manip does, such as plasma creation, to lower the cost due to needing a lesser automanip?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 11, 2015, 12:07:46 pm »

Once upon a time, you said that a MCP-II suit (without fleshknitter back then) as MCP-I plus medical system (no irises) and simple armoring for the torso would cost 2 (medsys) + 1 (armor) = 3 tokens; I have always presumed since then that irises system constituted the larger part of the vanilla Mk II cost. But if you changed your mind since then, it's totally fine.

So, in the case where irises system is dirt-cheap, let's just put all of it back again. Now, the suit is basically hard-skintight Mk II with an added tank of fleshknitter and wall-walking soles, and it still costs mere 5 tokens (with industrial cost reduction applied, I'm working on behalf of Hephaestus here), right?
Out of curiosity, how much would the same design with no fleshknitter cost? And would it then be possible to have fleshknitter tank (refillable per maintenance) available as an upgrade? Just like that blue-rad cell addon of Mk III-A.

@Pyro: We scrapped the armor part of the original design because sharksuit was developed alongside, and an option of bying just a chestplate piece for 1 token was introduced.
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #913 on: February 13, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »

Wait, so everything is done by an automanip, from creating the plasma and containment field to firing it?

Would it be possible to replace part of what the manip does, such as plasma creation, to lower the cost due to needing a lesser automanip?

Gotta remember, like most of those big heavy weapons this thing is a relic of different times, one in which longevity was less important than damage.

You could totally generate plasma in a better way, though I'm  not sure how you'd generate a moving magnetic field.

Once upon a time, you said that a MCP-II suit (without fleshknitter back then) as MCP-I plus medical system (no irises) and simple armoring for the torso would cost 2 (medsys) + 1 (armor) = 3 tokens; I have always presumed since then that irises system constituted the larger part of the vanilla Mk II cost. But if you changed your mind since then, it's totally fine.

So, in the case where irises system is dirt-cheap, let's just put all of it back again. Now, the suit is basically hard-skintight Mk II with an added tank of fleshknitter and wall-walking soles, and it still costs mere 5 tokens (with industrial cost reduction applied, I'm working on behalf of Hephaestus here), right?
Out of curiosity, how much would the same design with no fleshknitter cost? And would it then be possible to have fleshknitter tank (refillable per maintenance) available as an upgrade? Just like that blue-rad cell addon of Mk III-A.

@Pyro: We scrapped the armor part of the original design because sharksuit was developed alongside, and an option of bying just a chestplate piece for 1 token was introduced.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Ehhh, lets say it's 2 tokens. So 3 for the suit without it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 13, 2015, 01:03:55 pm »

I should probably ask this beforehand - when I start doing biotech bullshit either onship or Heph, should I put speculation on the design here? Not quite sure how closely this is stick to IC or OOC anymore, but I do recall that shapeshifting isn't programmed into Tinker, so I'd better ask beforehand.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 127