Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216188 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1350 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42:45 pm »

While you're at it, could you also look at upgrading camEyes so that their X-ray mode can be used to see through walls and clothes?

What, you wanna peep on the AM more efficiently?
I was thinking more along the lines of scanning containers so that you can see the Arbiters in them, using methods same as those used in Cargo Scanning. Or detecting hidden enemy agents, hiding amongst civilians.

But hey, if you want suicidal high-tech voyeurism... whatever floats your synthflesh limbs.

Hmm... there's an odd question. Does the thing synthflesh comes from have reproductive organs?

Yeah, how oh how could i ever get such ridiculous ideas...

@RC: Why not give it the standard Brisant grenade functions? Don't think it would cost anything extra.

So does that mean it's OK to look at the AM with camEyes?
And any idea what I should be careful about when looking at the AM so I don't accidentally end up going through an airlock?
[/fishing_for_info]
Or is this something I should investigate on ship?

Must be my over active imagination.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 01, 2015, 02:46:21 pm »

You still need an x-ray emitter to do that.
CamEyes? They already have an X-ray mode? Unless you are suggesting that in the ERverse, all metal is constantly emitting X-rays.

I thought cameyes were passive sensors, you know, to not give away your position constantly.  And to make it more reasonable them being, you know, eye-sized.  Passives would work fine in the situations they're normally used in.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:48:20 pm by Devastator »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1352 on: September 02, 2015, 02:58:17 am »

I thought X-rays are high energy and rare. You normally wouldn't have a lot of background X-rays when underground. And yet we have had the X-ray mode be used underground before. If they are so common they can be found everywhere as you claim, then surely an emitter that uses ER tech would be dirt cheap and tiny. If they are not that common, then that means that emitters in ER tech are dirt cheap and tiny. Either way, that means that my previous suggestion works.

And there's no problem with active sensors. It's a tradeoff between visibility and information. Want more info? Switch to X-ray mode. You don't have to keep it always on.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 02, 2015, 05:09:17 am »

To be honest, it is questionable that x-ray mode works in atmosphere at all.  There is also the issue with an x-ray gun into an eyeball.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 02, 2015, 05:42:34 am »

It is spacefuture technology. Suspend your disbelief.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1355 on: September 02, 2015, 07:07:33 am »

There is also the issue with an x-ray gun into an eyeball.
Yeah, because nobody would do something as crazy and unsafe as putting a laser in their eyeballs. I mean, one accidental look away due to loss of concentration and you've just sliced someone in half... Oh, wait.
But, hey, the radiation required for an X-ray scan is not that high. And I'm certain that our scientists have taken every precaution to reduce the risk of cancer and brain damage. I mean it's not like we're a bunch of disposable convicts... Oh, wait.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1356 on: September 02, 2015, 07:26:49 am »

It would have to be a pretty big eyeball. Normal x-ray generators are pretty big, and a free electron laser to produce a coherent beam would be larger still.

Having said that, you can produce x-rays with cellophane tape (if you are in a vacuum).
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1357 on: September 02, 2015, 08:58:23 am »

It would have to be a pretty big eyeball. Normal x-ray generators are pretty big, and a free electron laser to produce a coherent beam would be larger still.
Yes, assuming you want some sort of x-ray laser, you'd probably want something big. If you just want an x-ray scanner however, there are much smaller sources currently in development. Which will presumably only get better in the future.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1358 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:07 am »

You also can't cheat by putting the source in the body and using optical cable or mirrors. X-rays are difficult to reflect, preferring to scatter instead.
Sig text

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 02, 2015, 09:19:34 am »

Out of curiosity, why is it important that cameyes have x-ray capabilities, anyway?

And Dutrius, we have magic x-ray mirrors already, due to the requirement for the magic FEL laser.  Also, bouncing is assumed to make the concept usable, or at least enough scatter to get an image back at the camera.

It's good to know that there is a compact source available.  Now if only it said how bright the source was..

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1360 on: September 02, 2015, 09:22:24 am »

Free electron lasers don't even need mirrors though. Electron comes in one end, coherent beam of light comes out the other.
Sig text

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:48 am »

The mirrors are to get around making them kilometers long.

Anyway, it's not that big of a deal, but if I knew cameyes were magic lanterns, I would have put different features in the proposed sensor package (along with a lot more, as cameyes are so cheap).  Sadly, looking at it, much of it would already be stuff that would need to exist in cameyes for them to function properly, but since it isn't listed, it would be fair game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:37:52 am by Devastator »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1362 on: September 02, 2015, 10:03:43 am »

Out of curiosity, why is it important that cameyes have x-ray capabilities, anyway?
It's not important for them to have x-ray capabilities.
They have x-ray capabilities. I'm proposing an upgrade for those capabilities.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1363 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:58 am »

The multitool Simus got for christmas a couple years ago. It was described like this:
It's a complex set of actuators, mechanical parts, metal pieces and sensors. It will transform into a tool that can be used to manipulate any basic mechanical device.
Would it be possible to add this or something similar to the armoury, and how much would it cost? Maybe we have to study it on Heph first.

How about a basic handiwork tool box? Containing stuff like a welder, a few powered tools, a lot of non-powered tools and some supplies.

We can do it, but keep in mind it's a mechanical thing; works great on something like an engine, but don't expect to solder anything with it or check voltages or something.

If you can think up a good list of tools to put in it, sure.

Well that trap kit seems fine to me. I actually have some diagrams from an old army manual about how to create landmine booby traps around here somewhere...I'll try to find them. It might give us ideas of what more to add to it. In any case, we could do the standard "Use it 5 times" med kit thing. Cost? Eh, 2 tokens should be fine. If only because small cameras and various other components from it can be used elsewhere as well.

Yeah, if you wanna try and look that up, that might be interesting. If not, we luckily can abstract the exact contents a bit (like with a medkit) so if we forget something obvious, it ain't a big deal. Also, if you want one can download the US army field manual on booby traps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vistaconceptsllc.boobytraps.AOUFHCMCYQYEOBJVX&hl  or  https://archive.org/details/FM_5_31_Booby_Traps_

Would 1 token for a kit of 3 uses also be all right?

As per Dev's sensor package, it looks fine...I wonder how useful it will be in the end, but I don't see anything on there that is technically impossible. Not sure what he means "Can be displayed on suits" with the cameras though. Might have to reduce the radar range a bit.

Well, for starters: you know that movie thing where people use sound echolocation to map out their environment and detect things? This could do that, but better, and uses electromagnetic waves in different parts of the spectrum. So some waves are sent out and bounce back to the detectors, mapping the walls and such, while others can penetrate walls a bit and thus map beyond them as well (though obviously there's a limit). So, if in an unknown tunnel complex, you could use this to map ahead of you and see where different branches go to, in a way that's better than echolocation.

Next to that, it could detect incoming things (shuttles, LESHO rounds, ...) even when they aren't in visible range or are stealthed (for example, on the Heabi mission they'd allow us to detect those organic missiles much sooner), since most things, even if invisible to cameyes, might not be to other parts of the spectrum.

Basically it gives some sensors and functions that cameyes don't in order to complement those. Of course, if you think alternative sensors or other adjustments might make more sense, do tell.

While you're at it, could you also look at upgrading camEyes so that their X-ray mode can be used to see through walls and clothes?
So, is this possible?

@Nav: tool box was on the list of simple tinker projects I'm going through. Beat me to the punch! (which isn't a problem, there's too much stuff on there anyway, help is welcome).

Thats all I could find. Oh well.

In any case we'll abstract the contents and yeah 1 for 3 uses sounds fine.

Hmm. I dunno if detecting lesho rounds coming will help you much but ok. I still dunno how much actual ingame use it will get because of the way things work out, but fine to make it. Not sure on the price though.

Xray can already see through clothing and walls. Though it sees more of a skeleton then a naked person and it only works on not very dense walls.

What, you wanna peep on the AM more efficiently?
I was thinking more along the lines of scanning containers so that you can see the Arbiters in them, using methods same as those used in Cargo Scanning. Or detecting hidden enemy agents, hiding amongst civilians.

But hey, if you want suicidal high-tech voyeurism... whatever floats your synthflesh limbs.

Hmm... there's an odd question. Does the thing synthflesh comes from have reproductive organs?
originally? Because right now it comes from a chemical tank.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:58 pm »

Remember how I was looking into "wierdsense" before? basically wanting the ability to know space magic is happening?
How did the AoP's automanips detect the attack aimed at it in order to trigger? How do defensive anti-manips in general detect space magic in time to counter it? How did the Hebi detect amp/manip use? can any of the above be adapted into a space-magic detector?

Am not looking for the actual automanip, don't need the expensive automated space-magic box with limited charges. Just want the detection system it uses to know to activate in the first place.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 127