Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: KeeperRL : alpha 17. Now out on steam.New devlog. Incoming campaign mode  (Read 48712 times)

miki151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: KeeperRL : alpha 17. Now out on steam.New devlog. Incoming campaign mode
« Reply #300 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:31 pm »

I want to release something playable within 2 months. If it turns out harder than expected, then I'll just move some features over to the next update.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

miki151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2016, 04:16:07 am »

Hey! Here are the devlog updates from the last three weeks. I think those are some pretty interesting features :)

http://keeperrl.com/travelling-the-world/
http://keeperrl.com/areas-of-influence-and-other-overworld-features/
http://keeperrl.com/keeper-vs-keeper/

Keeper vs Keeper is almost ready:

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2016, 10:39:08 am »

Would be cool if each race/creature(s) you add to your dungeon adds some special titles they can place, i.e. spiders with spiderwebs, wolfs with bone-caves or a animal lure, orcs with war totems and so on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 16, 2016, 08:56:46 am »

Is there any update about, err, the new update? Supposedly it was going to come out for testing about now...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

miki151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 16, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »

Yeah, I'll be preparing a testing build over the next couple of days.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2016, 04:38:30 pm »

WOOT!

KeeperRL18 is already up as open beta. The "official" release will happen soon as well.

https://www.facebook.com/keeperrl/photos/a.592671117519306.1073741828.527166727403079/964134283706319/?type=3&theater

miki151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It came out yesterday :), here's a short info.

For those of you who haven’t followed the development, campaign is a new game mode that takes place in an overworld, divided into a grid of smaller maps. The player builds his or her base on one single map throughout the whole game, but can travel to other maps to attack villains. Those villains may also include retired dungeons made by other players. Thus we now have Keeper vs Keeper battles! Games have gotten longer this way, and have much more replay value. The classic “single map” mode is still included, although it will be subject to changes in the future.

More info here: http://keeperrl.com/keeperrl-alpha18-is-released/

You can either buy or get the free ascii version here:
https://miki151.itch.io/keeperrl

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a fun game, but campaign mode seems a bit easy.  I didn't get invaded at all until I started making trouble on my own, and I didn't do that until I was established in my base.

I had lots of different creatures, and various equipment for them, but they were basically useless against the human enemies, my keeper had to do most of the work.  Lizardmen were easy enough for my creatures to kill.  Dwarves seemed almost the same as humans, except without the ridiculous sorcerers.

I sent wave after wave of creatures to the warrior village, and they were repeatedly slaughtered without causing any enemy losses.  These were orcs, ogres, wolves, some goblins because I had too many, zombies, and harpies. 
Eventually, I got tired of these pesky human warriors, so I brought my keeper along, and killed all the humans with only a couple losses from crazy wolves charging in and getting their heads cut off.

Which brings me to my next complaint: Looting enemy villages seems to be an entirely manual affair. First I had to switch between my troops, having each one pick up all they could carry.  Then I had to travel back to base, and here's the really irritating part, I had to possess them all again, and manually drop all the stuff I looted.  Even stuff they had no use for whatsover.

It's a fun game, but it's a bit easy at the moment.  I suppose I should try the single map mode, how is the difficulty compared to campaign?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have not tried the new version, but in Alpha17 you could definitely do things with creatures. 

The most important thing is to train them up to higher levels, but arming and equipping them is also important.  You should be able to take out some villages with a single creature once it is in the double digits for its level.  Maybe have a few sidekicks to back it up, but I usually based my fighting doctrine around the concept of s single very strong unit.

As for looting, you should be able to mass select things to collect, and your imps will take care of it.  did you have an appropriate storage space built?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I armed and equipped my creatures, but the training takes a very long time to add up to anything.  In the meantime, my keeper was level 33 from handling invasions by himself. 

The issue with looting is specific to the new campaign mode, because it takes place on a different map than your dungeon.  You cannot go into the "dark god" interface to command looting on other maps.

I should try the single map mode, it sounds like campaign mode just has more kinks to work out.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Just got this game. I really love it, and the way the idea is implemented, but god fucking dammit the maps are tiny! I was like 1/10th in to building my epic dungeon of progressively deadlier death when the map just stopped, I was flabbergasted!

EDIT: Less than a 10th, I was literally the first "room" in (in this instance, a maze-y cave) when I found out that my evil living quarters had hit the edge of the map.

Tell me there's plans for making maps like at least 1000 X 1000?

EDIT: Is the single map mode larger than campaign? Cause that would be stellar!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:07:54 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2016, 01:05:48 pm »

The single maps used to be larger, before the campaign release.  I haven't tried them in alpha19.

You can see the edges of your map though, where you can not designate digging.  Just like in DF.  Helps with planning.

How do you hire monsters from tribes, now? 

I remember doing it back in alpha17, but I cant figure it out in campaign mode.  I have made contact with my keeper, tried chatting, tried hitting Enter, right click, left click, checked the help, searched online.  how the heck do I hire monsters?  I want to get some of the harpies to feed my doppelgangers so they can get wings.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2016, 10:50:30 pm »

Uhm, am I the only one getting a huge FPS drop when looking at a random area inside the dungeon ? I initially thought it was from the torches lighting, but after removing them and still having the massive slowdown, I have no idea what it could be.
My specs are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2016, 02:03:57 am »

Yea, this version is a bit laggy.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22