Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 370382 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2580 on: March 06, 2021, 07:49:58 pm »

I remember Revolution now, reading it back. That was one of those games where I figured who was scum but had zero towncred and so no one believed me and we lost.

Still, its definitely the kind of set up I'd like to play in, so if you'd want to run it sometime Meph, please go ahead! I'm sure you'd do a great job figuring out a neat setting.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: March 07, 2021, 08:06:24 am »

The Gnosia setup is interesting, I'd be curious how well it would work as a game with human players. The lack of roleflips means it's a lot more profitable for the mafia or mafia-ally to contest roleclaims.
I could write down the setup. It's very similar to the Raging Loop setup so I could just rework that.

Yeah, I've been tempted to write down the setup as well (currently watching an LP of Gnosia). Gnosia is pretty similar to the Raging Loop setup you posted, though there's some interesting differences (no one can fake-claim Masons in Gnosia, the existence of the mafia-ally, and that strange third-party "Evil Survivor, Bulletproof To Mafia But Weak To Cops" role that I don't think I ever seen before in a Mafia game).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:09:24 pm by Skynet »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: March 08, 2021, 11:44:12 am »

Mafia in an image:

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: March 08, 2021, 11:47:24 am »

Ha.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: March 10, 2021, 07:48:01 am »

I just got into Gnosia myself and it puts me on the fence about playing here for a while :p

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: March 10, 2021, 08:45:42 am »

I just got into Gnosia myself and it puts me on the fence about playing here for a while :p
Idk if 4maskwolf is still running their game, but Magic Mafia MM is coming up soon. Would recommend.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: March 10, 2021, 08:46:20 am »

Idk if 4maskwolf is still running their game, but Magic Mafia MM is coming up soon. Would recommend.
Oh god right I should be setting that up.

Magic Mafia can go first.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: March 10, 2021, 10:17:29 am »

I'm not sure what that is, but sure, I'll watch for it

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: March 10, 2021, 10:22:31 am »

Hey, Reverie, nice to see you!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: March 10, 2021, 01:34:30 pm »

Hey, Reverie, nice to see you!

Hey! I see that some of the old guard is back too, which is nice. A good mix of familiar and new faces ^^

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: March 10, 2021, 01:37:46 pm »

Yeah. And we're getting better activity then we've had in a while. It's been nice.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: March 10, 2021, 09:28:03 pm »

I'm watching an LP of Gnosia, and I like the blend between gameplay mechanics and cutscenes...although it does seem at times that you're merely trying to grind the gameplay just for cutscene content.

I just saw one very interesting (and pretty awesome, IMHO) scene in Gnosia though that is pertinent to Mafia...some mild spoilers below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:30:04 pm by Skynet »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: March 10, 2021, 09:45:34 pm »

I saw that ending a few days ago, pretty WTF.

I think I'm almost done with Gnosia, it's hard to tell.

I enjoy the characters and setting, but the writing is very short and fast-paced compared to Raging Loop. I was hoping for at least a couple loops being somewhat longer (maybe like an hour or two to read?), but it turns into more of a "find every really weird circumstance that can happen". At least 80% of my playtime is grinding through loops now that I have the game's systems down pat. It is in fact too much repetition for new content by this point.

What they should have done is have a main Story Mode that's the bulk of the game, with scripted roles and events and a more slower paced setup. And then once you've finished the Story Mode you would unlock Endless Mode which would be what we have here with the crazy What If? scenarios and endings.

I still like the game, and it's fun to participate as an actual player, but the lack of long-term story means you need to add a lot of your own imagination to things.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: March 12, 2021, 08:46:32 am »

I finished the LP and it was an interesting experience. Story was pretty interesting, but unfortunately the grinding for cutscene content ruined a lot of my engagement for it. (There is a spoiler-filled Reddit thread that discusses the ending, if you’re interested in that type of thing. The thread does assume you already played through the game though, so it might talk about stuff that might seem confusing if you haven’t gotten deep into it.)

The main problem with Gnosia is that its plot is entirely dependent on the loops (which is necessary, since it’s the only way to explain why you are are playing the same Mafia game over and over)...but any explanation of the loops is inevitably going to feel cheesy or silly, even if it is well-told. And yet you have to explain the loops since that’s the most interesting part of the game (scumhunting doesn’t sound so meaningful when you realize everything you do will be erased).

I think figuring out how to deal with these “loops” is essential for any future game that wants to be a Gnosia-like.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:50:56 am by Skynet »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: March 12, 2021, 09:04:18 am »

I'm stuck in Gnosia since I have no clue how to trigger the last four or five locks I need, pretty frustrating when I don't want to use a guide.

I recommend Raging Loop if you want to read something really similar but with a strong emphasis on storytelling instead. Some people contest the ending, but I think it's very cool.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 193