Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 52

Author Topic: Gods and Mortals II OOC (From the darkness, a turn creeps out...)  (Read 72973 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Gods and Mortals II OOC (He we go...)
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »

Means we'll get a nice Lagrange point in between.

Next interesting situation, what would happen when material is removed from the planet. Would it still float compared to the plane?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2014, 12:49:04 pm »

Means we'll get a nice Lagrange point in between.

Next interesting situation, what would happen when material is removed from the planet. Would it still float compared to the plane?

Considering that the plane technically has infinite mass, I think we have two options. First, we can say that the plane doesn't exert any gravitational force. Second, we can say that any creature can survive on the plane because magic. The first option means there's no Lagrange point between the plane and any planet, and the second means everything gets its own Lagrange point.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2014, 01:01:20 pm »

Oh goody! Just a bit more time for the second turn, and hopefully life.
Crack-a-lack-a

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2014, 04:38:10 pm »

In that case, gravity gets interesting? Or is there none? It's a mystery.
I, too, am interested to know how this goes.
Anyone know the gravity of an infinite plane of finite density?

I'm just going to refer to it as a planet because it would wind up being the first thing that comes to mind.
Even though the creator referred to it as a "plane"? As in, "plane of existence," as well as being an excellent geometric description of it?

If there are going to be ascendants and younger gods, there has to be.  Younger gods come from civilizations believing in them, and ascendants are mortals with power.
Read his statement. Look at the action he did immediately thereafter. I suspect a connection.

In that case, gravity gets interesting? Or is there none? It's a mystery.
Fuck gravity, they're held up by my DIVINE MIGHT! And everything on them is held down by the same.
Down as in "towards the Firmament" or as in "towards the center of the planet"? People seem to be assuming the latter, but the former is also interesting.

Considering that the plane technically has infinite mass...
Distributed over an infinite volume.
Tell me, if you were inside a giant hollow sphere, which way do you think gravity would pull you?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2014, 08:44:43 pm »

Who is the other elder god, player-wise.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2014, 09:37:07 pm »

Who is the other elder god, player-wise.

WhitiusOpus.  Hasn't been on all day, but there are still a couple hours left as an opening.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2014, 12:22:07 am »

WhitiusOpus.  Hasn't been on all day, but there are still a couple hours left as an opening.

Did you mind if I join again as the same God I played last game?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2014, 12:24:57 am »

I don't think he will; I did (sure I made an entirely new backstory but still)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2014, 04:59:28 am »

GWG, the hollow sphere comparison is the excrement of the bovine, in my opinion. In a hollow sphere the pull is equalized at every point. A plane of infinite mass, on the other hand, has a: infinite mass over an infinite volume, and b: infinite mass in every random small stretch of it. And it all pulls only downwards and to the sides.

Plus, stuff of infinite mass can really fuck up your life. I'm proposing the "no-pull" idea to get rid of unnecessary complications.

And for the second bit, "toward the center of the planet" seems more interesting, because else I would have made them flat, no? Which is also a good idea, but duh. I only have so many acts.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2014, 08:59:28 am »

GWG, the hollow sphere comparison is the excrement of the bovine, in my opinion. In a hollow sphere the pull is equalized at every point. A plane of infinite mass, on the other hand, has a: infinite mass over an infinite volume, and b: infinite mass in every random small stretch of it. And it all pulls only downwards and to the sides.
My point was that intuition isn't always accurate. I'm aware that the geometry is different.
And It only has "infinite mass in every random small stretch of it" if it has infinite depth, and since a geometrical plane has zero depth, you would have to specify something so ludicrous as infinite depth.

Plus, stuff of infinite mass can really fuck up your life. I'm proposing the "no-pull" idea to get rid of unnecessary complications.
You know what else would get rid of it? Not adding unnecessary infinite depth!

And for the second bit, "toward the center of the planet" seems more interesting, because else I would have made them flat, no? Which is also a good idea, but duh. I only have so many acts.
Why is "toward the center of the planet" more interesting? After all, pulling down would mean there's an upper side and a lower side. And slopes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2014, 09:02:24 am »

I don't mind.

@Infinite Depth: I'm going to call it now that the plane is 20 miles deep, with below it an extremely strong material that keeps the plane flat and is dense enough to cause Earth-strength downward gravity.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2014, 09:07:45 am »

I don't mind.

@Infinite Depth: I'm going to call it now that the plane is 20 miles deep, with below it an extremely strong material that keeps the plane flat and is dense enough to cause Earth-strength downward gravity.
But what does that mean for the gravity on the planets? Does it mean they have an actual up side where gravity is gplanet+gplane and a downward side where g=gplanet-gplane?
That doesn't make stuff easier at all.

@GWG: but then I would have called them sky-islands or something. When I say "planet" I assume it's a duck, not a Norwegian Brown Rat.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2014, 12:24:22 pm »

Trying to use science to explain your creations, when you can literally bend the reality itself to your whim?
 Kind of surprising really.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »

Trying to use science to explain your creations, when you can literally bend the reality itself to your whim?
It's not about science, it's about bending reality to your whim in an internally-consistent way with as little misinterpretation as possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2014, 03:21:32 pm »

Would anyone care if I did the math to guesstimate how much that would be? I'm trying to think of how to do that...might need calculus...I hate integration...

But what does that mean for the gravity on the planets? Does it mean they have an actual up side where gravity is gplanet+gplane and a downward side where g=gplanet-gplane?
That doesn't make stuff easier at all.
You say that like the exact acceleration from gravity will be important. And the general stuff isn't that hard at all--one half of the planet has higher gravity, one half lower.

@GWG: but then I would have called them sky-islands or something. When I say "planet" I assume it's a duck, not a Norwegian Brown Rat.
That's more like the difference between a...well...a planet-shaped sky-island and a planet. So, less a duck vs. a rat, more a stonefish vs. a stone.

It's not about science, it's about bending reality to your whim in an internally-consistent way with as little misinterpretation as possible.
Exactly.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 52