Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 282037 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums Balance and Ideas Thread
« Reply #705 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:22 am »

Fighter hero gives -whatever to nearby enemies and he gets (fighter's passive would be +10 Hit and Evade for himself when near 2+ enemies):
1 DMG and AS, +15 Hit and Evade near 2 enemies
1 DMG and AS, +17 Hit and Evade near 3 enemies
2 DMG and AS, +20 Hit and Evade near 4 enemies
Instead of fighter hero it would be Warrior and the numbers need some tweaking.
Also keep in mind that voting yes doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get this passive. It's just that they would get something other than (or in addition to) forest walk.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums Balance and Ideas Thread. Current topic: Fighters!
« Reply #706 on: April 21, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »

Mrrmh. I'm still not sold yet, partially due to them getting evade. It doesn't quite play into anything, with considerations that Fighters are not a class a akin to Myrmidon where they are meant to be dodgy. However, a change of subject.

I've been considering trying my own version of Fire Emblem on the Forums, but the idea is still very much in the beginning stages. However, I have a concept drawn up in my head, as well as a few principle characters and plot fodder. Mainly, the biggest things what would separate it from other games going on would be in the introduction of Laguz. Ever since I started working on them, I've had a few ideas on how I would run them. It's just a matter of sitting down and fleshing them out now that I have taken notes of their stats.

They would play remarkably different than their human counterparts, and as such need specialized attention. When/if I ever create a final concept, I'll try to present them to you guys for review.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 21, 2014, 03:51:32 pm »

Mrrmh. I'm still not sold yet, partially due to them getting evade. It doesn't quite play into anything, with considerations that Fighters are not a class a akin to Myrmidon where they are meant to be dodgy. However, a change of subject.
I do agree with Birdy on the fact that it doesn't quite suit fighters, so if we will give them a new ability, I propose we change it to giving the fighter a minor boost to strength and defense instead of the  hit and evade boost, and maybe giving them something like a wekaer version of armoured, but without the weakness that knights and classes that normally get it have?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 21, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »

I like that line of thought. The biggest problem with Fighters, is that they rapidly become glass cannon characters in melee form. When they become big burly men that can't take a hit, we have a problem. However, that doesn't help them as their defense is already naturally low. Very few things would actually be blocked by that passive.

I suppose the question I'm asking myself now is; how do we make them able to take a hit or two, but not nearly as well as a knight?
BIRDS.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 21, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »

Like I said, the current poll only says to give them a new special. We can flesh out the details later.

I do like that new thing though, even if it's going to be a little tough to balance.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 21, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »

My main concern is that the current fighter special is to... let them be ninjas for some reason? That makes no sense to me.

EDIT: Returning to the idea of reduced damage to Fighters as a special, how about -2 damage from all attacks if the fighter lands at least one hit during the player phase?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:01 pm »

And it's any weirder that Fencers have the same thing? They're meant to be the axe-user group that isn't (just) about sheer force.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:50 pm »

Hrmm... Not quite effective enough for my taste.

How about this. 5 less damage to any attack made against the fighter when he has full health. After that, all hits, including doubles, deal full damage.

It's not overpoweringly strong, but it allows them to take a full hit without going down. Once they do get in the fight though, it's fair game, and they won't have that initial defensive bonus.
BIRDS.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 21, 2014, 09:09:35 pm »

Fencers are on the entirely other end of the physical weapon spectrum. The whole thief branch is about alternative combat, and they use swords. It doesn't seem strange to me at all that the fencer gets sneaky ninja nonsense, not that I like it.

Plus it clashes heavily with their pre-established roles in the games. They're front line fighters.

Maybe a sort of defense variation of Quick Burn from FEA? First turn, physical damage is reduced by 3, next turn 2, third turn 1, then from Phase 4 until the end of the battle it's gone.

I'm just spitballin' here, work with me people. I don't really want to give them more hit (axes are too powerful to be getting that kind of boost), and damage boosts would kind of be pissing into a river. We don't want them out-tanking knights either, so if we do something defensive, it shouldn't be better than them.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 21, 2014, 09:14:44 pm »

That could work.
BIRDS.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:27 pm »

I really don't mind at all that we have on-foot axe users with something to them other than "big guy with big weapon".
The Bandits and Pirates have that covered. The role of Fighters is when, working within the top tier of damage output, you're willing to sacrifice some of your raw damage for utility. Conceal does exactly that.
If you want a tanky axe-user, play a Bandit and stand on a hill.

Although... to reinforce the whole "roles of the different axe-users" thing, maybe we could give Bandits 1 more STR? Pirates have 9, Fighters and Bandits have 7... Maybe the roles would be clearer if Bandits had 8? Sure, it's one damage per shot, but still...
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 21, 2014, 10:41:03 pm »

Bandits:

HP 24 STR 7 MAG 0 SKL 2 CON 11 AID 10
LUK 0 DEF 3 RES 0 SPD 3 MOV 5

Fighters:

HP 23 STR 7 MAG 0 SKL 3 CON 10 AID 9
LUK 2 DEF 3 RES 0 SPD 2 MOV 5

Pirates:

HP 22 STR 9 MAG 0 SKI 3 CON 9 AID 8
LUC 1 DEF 3 RES 0 SPD 3 MOV 5

If we reduce the lowest instance of a stat to zero, and reduce the stats of the other classes by the same amount, we see...

Bandits:

HP 2 STR 0 MAG 0 SKL 0 CON 2
LUK 0 DEF 0 RES 0 SPD 1

Fighters:

HP 1 STR 0 MAG 0 SKL 1 CON 1
LUK 2 DEF 0 RES 0 SPD 0

Pirates:

HP 0 STR 2 MAG 0 SKI 1 CON 0
LUC 1 DEF 0 RES 0 SPD 1

... Not much in terms of cohesive information. Except we learned that Fighters are the lucky class. And no one but me likes Luck.

Edit: In any case, if we give Bandits extra Strength, we'd have to take something away.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 21, 2014, 11:10:54 pm »

In any case, if we give Bandits extra Strength, we'd have to take something away.

Hit points. That's my vote.

Bandits get -1 (or maybe -2) HP and +1 STR, and then we call the First Class axe-users good.

(interesting to note that, while Pirates do the most damage, Bandits can use the biggest weapons more easily...)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 22, 2014, 03:32:47 am »

I always thought that Bandits were the purest in terms of HP and STR (while being clumsy), Fighters mixing attack power with accuracy, and Pirates being the most 'averageish' of the axe family...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 22, 2014, 04:03:39 am »

Actually pirates in the games were the most offensive axe users, while lacking much more in defense.
Here they get the biggest offensive stats while bandits get the most HP and CON and fighters the most skill... and luck.
If we move one HP to STR for bandits I suggest we move one LCK to SKL for fighters.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 300