Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 280461 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF2 HAS FINISHED!
« Reply #3120 on: September 13, 2016, 03:04:51 pm »

Autoequip on staff is a standard thing, I'm fine with that. Difference is theoretically you could equip something you can't counter with (sword v bow, magic v longbow) vs your example
I still don't really like it.
Should you autoequip a weapon you're disadvantaged with?

Thinking a bit more on level 40 stuff, tbh I'm not a fan. This is largely because it's going to promote an unfair balance in the group. Some people will get access to promotion items sooner than others and since promoting early no longer has any drawbacks, they have no reason to not promote asap. That means that not only are they instantly significantly stronger than the others in the party, but they will continue to likely be stronger as they'll have more levels with the extra growth that comes with promotion. It's got no drawbacks and will be straight benefits to people who are lucky enough to get their items first

Edit: to further clarify, it becomes a balance problem. Ignoring the extra growth, promotion is essentially three good levels plus access to better skills, better weapons, and higher support levels. So at that point you either balance around the weaker pcs and let the promoted ones stomp around the field or you balance around the promoted ones and you leave the unpromoted ones doing their best not to die while likely not contributing much.
This is all very true.

Summoners, sages, druids, lore masters and commanders all have to promote as soon as they can, really, to get the full benefit of their class skills.

If you want to limit player power, restrict the rate they get xp. They'll get less levels per map, which makes the difficulty curve smoother.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: September 13, 2016, 03:29:02 pm »

Spoiler: General (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: First Class (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Promoted Classes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lord Class (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Level Cap discussion (click to show/hide)

Hopefully I got to everybody and didn't sound too hostile/aggressive. I had a lot of posts to wade through after all, so I'm not too sure about either. Still, the amount of discussion is good. I don't want my first attempt at a FEF to crash and die out of the starting gate.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: September 13, 2016, 03:42:23 pm »

I'm surprised everyone hated split growths, too.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: September 13, 2016, 03:44:10 pm »

I don't personally have a problem with renaming, but stand by for utmost confusion sometimes.

Thinking on it, I'd say shamans giving +10 crit and dg, and befitting themselves - is really good. 10 crit is a big thing. It doesn't really feel like sacrifice or pagan flavoured, either - it's just a crit boost.
If you want something to do with sacrifice... why not have them sacrifice? Damage themselves to grant something to an ally - damage or crit. Would also have nice synergy with summoners.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: September 13, 2016, 03:44:26 pm »

Class name is more a personal preference so ignore that. Missed the bonus from merc skill so ignore that. My first interpretation of firebrand skill was right so ignore that. Lord class is still eh. Not a fan of having things revolve around super important npc. Tends to lead to railroaded plot.

Wyvern skill could stay as 1.3 but only when mounted maybe?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3125 on: September 13, 2016, 03:49:34 pm »

ah, i misread the firebrand skill. I thought it was "designate a target and still attack after killing your last one" which is p much Galeforce and therefore OP.

@split growths: it's not that i hate them, really, they're just very exploitable and tend to skew the balance of classes toward mixed ones being just better.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: September 13, 2016, 03:51:43 pm »

The advantage of a split class is flexibility.
The advantage of a straight class is power.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: September 13, 2016, 03:55:09 pm »

Well, to put in my like, .5 cents on a few things in a positive way, I for one like the change to shaman and think it's fine that it's a buff totem and don't think it makes it too overlappy with another buff totem class that buffs other things and otherwise fills a very different combat roll.

I think name changes are fine. I think we can give people a bit of credit when it comes to being too confused. On the other hand I also don't think they actually matter that much since there doesn't need to be a connection between what your class is named and what your character is. I mean, for some people like priests or shaman it helps because the mechanics directly support the fluff. But a mercenary or a nomad doesn't need to actually be a mercenary or nomad in the game.

About Wyvern skill, +5 DEF/RES when at full health feels very strong to me. But I have no idea.

On split growths, uh.. Very strong. Much power. No sacrifice. Wow. Could be okay or not depending on what chu want. I don't mind ether way in a game.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3128 on: September 13, 2016, 03:56:52 pm »

well, yeah. Split growth bonuses make it so you get flexibility and lose... nothing, because your stats aren't actually going to be much lower than someone who just put everything into one stat.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: September 13, 2016, 03:58:53 pm »

Thinking on it, I'd say shamans giving +10 crit and dg, and befitting themselves - is really good. 10 crit is a big thing. It doesn't really feel like sacrifice or pagan flavoured, either - it's just a crit boost.
If you want something to do with sacrifice... why not have them sacrifice? Damage themselves to grant something to an ally - damage or crit. Would also have nice synergy with summoners.

What about a temporary bonus if they kill an enemy? Like the next round they have +15 Hit, +2 DAM, and +5 Crit. Then the second round after they have +15 HIT and +2 DAM and the third round after they only have +15 HIT. The bonuses would reset rather than stack if they manage to kill another in the same time frame. And said bonuses are just an example, they can be nerfed or buffed or whatever.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: September 13, 2016, 04:02:16 pm »

well, yeah. Split growth bonuses make it so you get flexibility and lose... nothing, because your stats aren't actually going to be much lower than someone who just put everything into one stat.

Essentially my problem with it, yeah.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: September 13, 2016, 04:03:36 pm »

Can we just... Maybe come up with something other than horse archer? That's the only one that really bugs me >_>

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: September 13, 2016, 04:15:58 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking about something like that. Absolutely no clue how to balance it properly though, hence why I didn't follow through on my ideas. Losing X HP to increase an ally's damage by X for a turn is an option. Make the largest value X can be 5 or something, so that people don't abuse it horribly. That could work. Or lose 5 HP and grant 20 crit or something. Any preference as to which stat it should buff?

What about a temporary bonus if they kill an enemy? Like the next round they have +15 Hit, +2 DAM, and +5 Crit. Then the second round after they have +15 HIT and +2 DAM and the third round after they only have +15 HIT. The bonuses would reset rather than stack if they manage to kill another in the same time frame. And said bonuses are just an example, they can be nerfed or buffed or whatever.

That's also a good idea for Shaman. Allow the option to transfer the buffs to someone else too, just to spread the love around. The only problem I can see is with chaining kills so that the decay never becomes a major factor in battle.

Lord class is still eh. Not a fan of having things revolve around super important npc. Tends to lead to railroaded plot.

Eh as in you don't like the concept or Eh as in it's an imbalanced and terrible class? I can tolerate the former, honestly. Because I know how linear my plot is and am fine with that. I am pretty much copying a real-life event here, though edited to have a victorious/satisfying conclusion. So it is going to be quite linear, sorry.

Wyvern skill could stay as 1.3 but only when mounted maybe?

So +5 Defence and Resistance when the Wyvern is exactly one HP below the maximum? More seriously: +5 Defence/Resistance while at full HP might be a good idea, now that I'm thinking about it. I originally thought it was too limited, but if you have a pocket priest to follow you around or some potions to gulp it might be pretty useful.

Can we just... Maybe come up with something other than horse archer? That's the only one that really bugs me >_>

I don't see the problem with it. It's the usual name for dudes who ride horses and shoot arrows at the same time. Unless I'm missing something here?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: September 13, 2016, 04:22:41 pm »

Mounted archer might be a less awkward name?
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 300