Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 280494 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF2 HAS FINISHED!
« Reply #3180 on: September 15, 2016, 04:06:03 pm »

It's pretty good except for the stone path. I legitimately thought it was a wonky river for a bit.

Yeah. I had trouble making a cobblestone road that looked good. That was my best attempt. The same goes for the cliffs. And the forests. And the hills.

Peachy background gives it... I dunno how to put it, pastel look, which is what not many tilesets go for (we go for dark and edgy cuz we dark and edgy when FEFing :P)

Well the first two maps take place in Masjay, so I was trying to go for a bushland/muddy kind of palette, even if I didn't entirely realize it. Darker and edgier will happen after that. :u

Question: How many maps do you all usually make ahead of time? I'm going to make the first two to figure my basic tiles out out ahead of time, but after that I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to do.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: September 15, 2016, 04:24:55 pm »

I don't make maps unless I have plan for them.

Which sometimes happens less than 6 hours before next chapter is actually about to start '<.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: September 15, 2016, 04:28:26 pm »

I'll conceptualize several maps in advance, but i don't make them until I'm ready to do the map in question.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: September 15, 2016, 05:22:08 pm »

I usually make 1-2 maps for later. But only the "base" of the map, without enemies on it yet or things  you have to edit on it yourself.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: September 15, 2016, 05:35:44 pm »

I'm 1-2 maps ahead for DSE.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: September 16, 2016, 04:59:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll try not to follow Haspen's example and make maps in advance. :v

I have the basic idea for my maps bouncing around in my head, but transmitting them to paper 1s and 0s is a bit of a problem. Case in point: The map above. It's supposed to be a cozy little village, but something about it seems off to me. I'm just not sure what. Any suggestions how to improve it?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: September 16, 2016, 05:09:24 pm »

What doors are shut or open?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: September 16, 2016, 05:18:54 pm »

Is green door some special shop place?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: September 16, 2016, 05:23:16 pm »

Are the fences(?) passable?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: September 16, 2016, 08:52:49 pm »

Due to the objective of that map, all of the doors are open/visitable. Except the big building in the center because you start from there.

Is green door some special shop place?

It's not a shop, but it is special.

Are the fences(?) passable?

Yes. They cost 2 MOV (4 Mounted) though. They are more or less barriers to make it more difficult to move around. Something to clog up everyone running moving about the place.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: September 16, 2016, 09:11:38 pm »

I have the basic idea for my maps bouncing around in my head, but transmitting them to paper 1s and 0s is a bit of a problem. Case in point: The map above. It's supposed to be a cozy little village, but something about it seems off to me. I'm just not sure what. Any suggestions how to improve it?

To my eyes, the road and the river make the map look too artificial. They're both completely straight, they cross in the lower right corner, the 1-tile wide road is 1 row above the bottom edge and the 2-tile wide river is 2 tiles to the left of the right edge. More irregular forms (e.g. curving river/road, crossing near the center of the map, with houses clustered around the bridge) would probably evoke a cozier feeling. I'm not fond of the low-contrast, pastel-heavy color scheme, but that's just my personal taste.

It also looks a little strange that all the vegetation is concentrated in the corners of the tiles.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: September 16, 2016, 09:21:32 pm »

To my eyes, the road and the river make the map look too artificial. They're both completely straight, they cross in the lower right corner, the 1-tile wide road is 1 row above the bottom edge and the 2-tile wide river is 2 tiles to the left of the right edge. More irregular forms (e.g. curving river/road, crossing near the center of the map, with houses clustered around the bridge) would probably evoke a cozier feeling.

That will definitely help. I originally wanted the river going through the middle of the map, like you suggested, but couldn't get a layout that I liked. Everything seemed too constrained and cramped. Maybe I'll extend the map up and down a little bit and see if that helps. If not I'll fiddle with the river and road in my current design to make them less regular. Especially the river, since the road is man-made and thus has an excuse to be straight.

It also looks a little strange that all the vegetation is concentrated in the corners of the tiles.

It's supposed to make things look neater when you have actual units on the map, since naturally they'll be in the center of the tile. The key word is, of course, supposed to.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: September 17, 2016, 04:24:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Version 2 of my village map. Hopefully it looks much better than the first one. Since the river is now through the middle of the map I added in a couple more rivers/fords so that it's not as an impassible barrier. Unless someone can point something obviously terrible about the map, I suppose that I have to start work on mugs now. Which I have been putting off for obvious reasons.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: September 17, 2016, 04:31:46 pm »

Looks fine to me.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: September 17, 2016, 04:38:01 pm »

Looks a lot better than the first map to me.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 300