Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 142778 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #495 on: November 28, 2017, 03:51:19 pm »

On the stun potion: I didn't want the character to be able to use skills either, and without the poise system complete, this is the best I could manage.

When you refer to _class, A. is class the same thing as object type? I'm a little confused. B. How would you store a class in a variable?

Edit: Okay. Randomized fire is done. One issue: My potions (which are set to be bullets) keep colliding with each other. This is only an issue with two or more potionslingers, but they will break each other. This is especially problematic with poison potions, because if they break, they create a poison graphical effect that floats in air, and, even though it is set to graphical effect, still breaks all of the potions that fly into it. Not sure how to solve this, possibly there is some code to check for if something is a bullet so I could say If _bullet = 0 before the other stuff,  but I am not sure of that. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:39:09 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #496 on: November 28, 2017, 05:41:52 pm »

For the stun potion, you can set _mp to 0 and/or _mp_regen to a negative value.  The default avatar can't use any abilities without MP, so this would stop them from using abilities.

_class is the object type, yes.  It stores all of the default data that is set when you create a new object.  You can store an actual class in a variable by setting the variable to the object's _class or _original_class.  I guess this could be used to make, say, a ditto type creature... {Set _class = _other._class}.

For preventing potions from hitting each other, you have a few options.  My advice would be:
Code: [Select]
If _team != _other._team & _other._unit = 1This will only allow a collision with a targetable unit that is on a different team.  Projectiles with a default team of -1 will be automatically set to the team of the sprite that fires them.
Oddly, bullets aren't supposed to collide with other bullets in the first place...I'm going to have to double-check that.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 28, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »

Thanks. I’ll do that. They also collided with a graphical effect.

Edit: Wait, how can I make _speed and _mp and _mp_regen target the player? I feel like I should know this, but I am unsure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:18:57 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 28, 2017, 11:39:27 pm »

Same as any other variable.  _other._speed or @._speed or target._speed, whichever suits the situation.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 28, 2017, 11:40:32 pm »

Okay. This should work better then the original. Thank you.

Edit: Potionslinger is now in the KamaniMonsters package! In addition, the stun potion now works on enemies as long as they don't have 0 mp skills (not much I can do to make it work better). My only advice with this one is A. potionslinger is designed for topdown, and B. you can copy the potionslinger skill on to anything else. It is what makes this work. You can also play with the odds, which are currently 1/2 to be either poison or damage, and 1/2 to be either heal, fail, or stun. You could probably even give yourself this skill.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:28:03 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 29, 2017, 11:07:47 am »

Nicely done.

I've fixed the issue with the bullets, which was interestingly connected to another bug that I hadn't recognized and was causing major slowdown in general.  Large rooms should run noticeably faster now.

I've also made a room called "Hall of Lore" which has some stuff related to the meta-plot.  Might be spoilery I guess, but good if you like to make tie-ins.

EDIT: I think I've found the source of the object duplication bug.  It seems that it is not moving the objects that duplicates them, but saving the room...which can duplicate every bugged item, causing severe slowdown after multiple edits.  Moving the objects just reveals the duplicates.  I'm going to fix it up now.

EDIT: The duplication bug occurred when saving a room that had a local class (belonging to a layer), where members of that local class had individual values.  For example, the signs in one of Whisperling's rooms.  A "virtual" copy of the objects would be added when the room was loaded, and then would be saved as if they were actually there, causing objects to multiply every time the room was saved and loaded.  The bug is fixed now, but you may want to double-check any room with objects such as these to make sure you don't have duplicates.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 29, 2017, 03:11:03 pm »

Ooh! Shame I need to go work. I’ll look at the hall of lore when I can.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:27:52 pm by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 29, 2017, 08:35:10 pm »

I need to consider finding a new tileset. I need something that looks a little more natural. Like cliffy for the drop walls especially, and stone/grassy for the ground. Shame that I don't know about the legality of stealing my RPG Maker files.

Also, got the time, love the lore. Wonder what the Ritual of Ascension has to do with the rest of it. Anyways, I got some new ideas for my Batelier project, and some slight changes to Elen and Alend. The only annoying thing there is that I'd like people to run into them every now and then (not every other world, or even every 20 worlds, but more like every 100 worlds or so), so I'll have to make sure I keep producing worlds with them. They are my favored treasure hunter characters, so they will appear in more of my worlds (as will Batelier, although not as much. I will say that they are planned for something related to a lore on the lower left. And that they may be lying to you slightly).

Oh, right, but the lore in the lower middle about why monsters hate humans is sticking slightly out of the text box.

Edit: Okay, something more serious this time: When falling, I keep falling through (and occasionally fatally into) blocks. Try the last mandatory jump downwards before the room with the third trial (if you are in worldeditor mode, use my invisible gate 3. It is there for testing). I keep falling really oddly there.

Edit: Um... Sometimes, the room I am working on glitches out and everything turns 45 degrees.

Edit: Again, I somehow spring jumped through a ceiling. I spring jumped from a tile floor on to a 2D fall wall 3 z? levels high and went through the ceiling.

Edit: What species is the protagonist?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:00:23 pm by Kamani »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 29, 2017, 09:50:57 pm »

I'm noticing something that looks like it might be related to the duplication bug in the arena. FPS drops every time the face creates a new unit, and stays down even after old ones are defeated. The issue wasn't happening before, so one of the recent changes probably triggered it.

Should probably get to designing the new hall of worlds stuff, especially now that I might be able to incorporate some lore. Would also be nice to learn the programming component properly. Been a bit preoccupied with other stuff lately, though.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:53:27 pm by Whisperling »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 30, 2017, 12:50:13 am »

If you're looking for any kind of graphics, again I suggest OpenGameArt.org.  They have a ton of sprites, tilesets, sounds and music, most of which are under a CC license (legal to use provided you credit the creator).

I will also suggest CharasProject.net, which has a very flexible humanoid sprite creator tool that is free to use.  Most of my human sprites come from there.

I'll work on fixing the bugs with sidescrolling, but it is important to realize that a lot of it is caused by confusing logic.

Spoiler: Details (click to show/hide)

I'll work on making the system more intuitive and rational, but my advice would be for the most part to avoid blending floor areas and sidescrolling areas.  Walls you jump down and isolated platforming areas are fine, but rooms like the second trial area are a particular nightmare to interpret physically and will likely break as the system is refined.  Separating platforming areas from top-down ones with ladders or drops is probably ideal...now that I think about it, there is not currently any way of making a side switch that doesn't allow jumping through walls in some spot.

Everything turning 45 degrees?  Odd.  There was an experimental code for rotating camera angles but I thought I removed it...

Quote from: Kamani
Wonder what the Ritual of Ascension has to do with the rest of it.
Quote from: Kamani
What species is the protagonist?

It's a secret to everybody.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 30, 2017, 12:55:25 am »

The 45 degrees thing isn’t visual. I meant that the tileset rotates 45 degrees (but not objects), and saves that way if saved. It is pretty rare, and nothing reliable triggers it (that I know of). So straight vertical lines become diagonals moving right and up. Very odd.

Thanks for the advice on where to look for resources, that should help a lot.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:13 am »

First of all, I think the hall of lore is a great idea. It would be good to thematically unify everything, at least, allow people to do so if they wish.

Secondly, before I get started on making a world, do you have like... idk, maybe a checklist or something for creating tile sets? Obvo--you can always create more tiles as needed, but it might be nice for people getting started to have a quick kind of beginner's: "okay, as a rule of thumb you should x, y, and z types of tiles. Stone, grass, brick, windows, etc. and make sure you make x1, y1, z1 types of borders so you can just get started up front.

IDK, just something general that could let people know what kind of tiles they need IN GENERAL. Whether you have grass or stone or etc. is probably subjective, but something like "hey make sure you have a primary tile texture with x, y, and z borders. At least two secondary textures. Et al."

It might be a good idea so that people can front load some of the graphical work and just dive in on the level design--I know for myself it would get tedious to have to stop and make new tiles every so often because you forgot one type of terrain or another. Or it could be OCD triggering for people to build the level first then make the tileset.

tl;dr: Not sure what tiles I need and am afraid of having to create new tiles every time a new idea pops into my head, or inversely creating like 1000 tiles I'll never use. Please halp.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 30, 2017, 02:13:28 am »

The 45 degrees thing isn’t visual. I meant that the tileset rotates 45 degrees (but not objects), and saves that way if saved. It is pretty rare, and nothing reliable triggers it (that I know of). So straight vertical lines become diagonals moving right and up. Very odd.

Hmm, that sounds like it could be related to changing the width of the room.  Tilemaps are saved and loaded as one-dimensional strings of tiles, starting from the upper left corner, so if the width of the room was changed it could mess them up.  But when you change the size of the room the tilesets are automatically adjusted to compensate, so that shouldn't cause an issue.  Unless...ah, maybe the tileset doesn't re-save because it doesn't register that it's been edited unless you change a tile as well.  I'll fix that.

Secondly, before I get started on making a world, do you have like... idk, maybe a checklist or something for creating tile sets? Obvo--you can always create more tiles as needed, but it might be nice for people getting started to have a quick kind of beginner's: "okay, as a rule of thumb you should x, y, and z types of tiles. Stone, grass, brick, windows, etc. and make sure you make x1, y1, z1 types of borders so you can just get started up front.

This depends om how complicated you want your room to be.  The "basic" tileset included in the Basic Objects package uses 8 tiles - floor, block, wall, ladder, sand, ice, water, and grass - plus the blank tile, which is used for pits.  But it's very basic and doesn't use borders or anything like that.  These are the nine basic tile types that have effects on gameplay, but obviously not all rooms will use all of them.  The more visually inclined may opt for a better looking tileset; you don't need all tile types.

EDIT: Fixed the slowdown bug related to the new collision physics.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 30, 2017, 05:21:33 pm »

Items are now active.  You can't carry them from world to world yet, but you can use them to modify the player's abilities.

Any sprite can have an inventory, but only the player actually uses items (for now).  The number of items of a particular class a sprite has is stored as a variable, which is the name of the item preceded by a dollar sign.  So say you have an item called health_potion, you would add one to the player's inventory with {Set @.$health_potion to @.$health_potion + 1}.

Items may have functions and techniques just like sprites.  By default, the item has a _use function.  When the player uses an item, the player sprite will run the _use function and will be the target of that function.  You can make the use effect last over longer periods using a loop, but make sure to put a "Wait 1 frame" event inside the loop to prevent the game from stalling.

Items may also have techniques which will become usable if you equip the item.  Using techniques does not consume the item unless you make an event that reduces the item's variable.

Although it is not yet possible to carry items from world to world, the way this will work is that items can only be used in a world where the world builder imported those items.  You (the item's creator) can also put restrictions on the items you create to control their "economy".  By default, only the owner of an item can create objects that modify their associated variables, and you can also make objects "restricted" to prevent other players from creating more, except through the means of another sprite you created.  For example, I made a Venom Fang that randomly drops from spiders.  Its associated "pickup" sprite is restricted, so world builders cannot add them directly - they can place spiders freely, but the player will still have to kill those spiders to get fangs.  Items can also have "prices", which will allow them to use the same server-side limitations as sparks and serve as a harder limit on the amount being distributed - the value of all items collected will be added to the sparks a player collects when calculating how much the world builder gets back.

I also added a real-time clock for no particular reason.  You can access it through the _game._clock variable and use it to get stuff like the day of the week and the time of day.  Use the object examiner in testing mode to see its variables.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 30, 2017, 05:24:42 pm »

Ooh, item techniques will make the Batelier project way easier. Also, ugh, what a waste of time on those skills with transforming.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 90