Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 142865 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Dynamic layers and fun with composite graphic effects
« Reply #1185 on: September 01, 2018, 03:59:37 pm »

Oh, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to look for a way to make a good sandstorm effect...

Okay. Thanks. I guess I might need to make a separate item for highly specialty settings, just in case. Oh, but are there any ways to make a letter limit on text input? Either way, I can’t let things get too long. Otherwise, they’ll make text boxes look bad.

Edit: Didn’t end up getting anything done because I thought I’d spend a few minutes finishing up some work and it accidentally took two hours. Oops. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:59:57 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1186 on: September 02, 2018, 02:51:18 pm »

I've added string variables to item partitions.  I've also made a max string length for text inputs, and fixed the issue with storing text inputs as variables.  This should be all you need for inputting and saving a custom name.  I don't expect I'll be using it too much, but it's there if you need it.  Maybe I'll use it for naming pets or something...

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 02, 2018, 11:33:11 pm »

Thanks for adding it. Hopefully it’ll come in handy for others too. It will definitely be useful for the custom names.

Edit: I organized this post to make it more readable (and to make it obvious what is actually important, and not just miscellaneous notes). It was starting to go on, and I figured it would be less of a pain to read this way.

(Potential) Bugs:

- Some of the menus get cut off on my screen. For example, the text editor menu gets cut off at Textbox Shadow Blur when the first tab is open, and it isn't possible to scroll down below that. The opacity on tilesets also gets partially cut off, although clicking on that fixes it (I've seen the opacity issue before, although I forgot to mention it, but the other one is new to me). This can prevent some settings from being used, and is thus a sizeable issue.

- Where did the reply variable setting setting go? I can't find it. I might just be missing it (or it could be because of the previously mentioned scrolling issues), but I don't see the setting that saves the reply text to a given variable.

- You can edit the numbers of characters on a partition, even if there is another partition after it. I don't know if that would also break things, but it might, since editing bit numbers would.

- It appears that the Bits Remaining is displaying only for the one I'm currently editing. Is it supposed to do that or not? I am not really sure, but it does make it a bit tricky to know what's left.

- It seems like you can edit some stuff that isn't normally possible by using tab. If I hit the tab key several times while in the flowchart menu, I can edit things like the title of the world or the name of an object. I don't really know if this could do anything problematic, but I figured it was better to be careful and note it than ignore it.

Non-glitch Questions:
- Is there any way to capitalize the first letter of a text variable without otherwise changing it? I'll probably wait to consider custom pronouns if no, since otherwise, that might run into a bit of trouble. Of course, I don't have to worry about bits on this item, so if I just made them retype for capitals, that would probably work too, I'd just prefer not to inconvenience users. Inconveniencing myself is more optimal, under the conditions and based on numbers.

Notes:
- Seeing as there are 4032 bits on an item, and adding a name variable (12 characters long, since I suspect that is the longest I'd be likely to run into in a majority of situations) will move my current count up to about 247, I should be good without adding a second item. I might add an optional second item for custom pronouns, because pronouns could take up a LOT of space (they, a standard length pronoun with 5 forms (they, them, their, theirs, themselves) would take up 464 bits. If I wanted to give enough for nearly any situation, I would have to give something like 10, 10, 10, 10, 13 characters, which would take up 848 bits. I would rather not lose that much space, since I don't know how much I'll end up needing). In addition, deleting one of the two items without the other wouldn't cause the entire project to break, which would be something to worry about with having a two item system. I think I'll probably handle that as such.

- I am going to redo the Sculptor boss fight, since they are getting moved up to full mid-boss from mini-boss. I think they'll retain their unusually passive skill set though, since they are the Sculptor, not a standard fighter. That, and it should mix up the types of bosses fought more. I'll probably want to make the boss fight a bit longer and with a few more unique skills too. Might take me a bit to figure out how to do this well...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:15:23 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 03, 2018, 04:22:49 am »

You don't have to actually store all the different pronouns in the item though. Just have one variable for gender and then you can make an object at the entrance to a world that reads the variable and sets the relevant pronouns to the _world itself, where they can be read by anything within that world.

Unless your plan is to let the player independently input all possible conjugations of their preferred pronoun, which sounds more like a parody of modern political correctness culture than something a typical player would actually appreciate.

There aren't really any methods for string manipulation yet, but I wouldn't worry about capitalization.  Just inserting a name as it is entered is sufficient for every game I have ever seen.

Odd about the menus getting cut off, they should be scrollable. I'll check it in different browsers maybe...

I'll fix up the other stuff. Changing the number of characters in a non-last partition will cause issues with existing saved data, so don't do that.  Tabbing to other windows is a bit odd but I don't think it will cause actual problems.

Edit: Ok, all of those bugs are fixed.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 03, 2018, 09:42:05 am »

I’ve done that for the standard pronouns, but if I add custom pronouns, that won’t work.

I’ll admit it’s a niche addition, but adding a custom pronoun set would allow me to cover every pronoun, without adding an incredibly long list. Most players can just pick from the standard 5 (they, she, he, xe, ze), but for this, I’d rather give an option than leave it out.

Oh, no, the capitalization question is for custom pronouns, not a name.

Thanks for all of the bug fixes.

Edit: Issue with reply references solved, but only because I found another issue. You can't use a text input reply when you are in a flowchart textbox, since you can only use replies by using Add Option. You can workaround this, but it is preferable to not do so.

Edit: Name system is in place. It should work fine, as far as I know, but I can't be entirely sure.

Edit: Hmm... Hope making every desert room persistent won't cause lag. I can probably set it up to work without needing it, but I'd prefer not too. I guess I'll just test it out and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:51:19 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 03, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »

It shouldn't cause lag, but keep in mind that create events only fire once in persistent rooms. If the idea is to store switch positions, you may be better off using a global variable and setting things when the room is loaded.

There are a few issues with Spids by the way, seems you forgot to set the Face Player variable. I also saw them charge attack off the screen once and not come back. This may be related, or it may be because the target projectile moves too fast. I'll have to check.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 03, 2018, 11:47:46 pm »

The switch positions should already work fine without persistence. I’d make rooms persistent to prevent enemies from respawning, since you do have to go through some rooms a few times. Of course, I don’t know how bad the respawning would actually be, so that might not really be necessary, thinking about it.

Oops. Should have known I was forgetting something. I’ll have to check Umbra too. Not sure how they could charge off the screen though... the projectile should run into a wall and break whether it is facing the player or not. Unless it somehow got fired past the boundaries... I’ll set the blank tiles there to walls when I get some time. That should fix it either way.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 06, 2018, 07:41:01 am »

Oh hey! It looks like Kiovenn is making something cool again. And, uh, deleted the Magma Forge for some reason?

If that was a bug, I still have the backup and can restore it.  If not, I might just steal it.  That was some fine work and it would be a shame to waste it.

I still don't know who they are.

EDIT: Oh, they made an OpenGameArt account.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 06, 2018, 09:08:33 am »

Well, don’t know why they’d delete the magma forge, but looking forward to whatever they make.

If it’s a bug, good that it can be restored.
I can’t really tell if that last bit was intended as humor or not, but stealing someone’s content would be incredibly rude. People really should have control over their own creative content. I’m terrible at understanding humor, to be clear, so... I really can’t tell if you are being serious or not. Apologies if that was intended as humor.

Eh, we’ll know or we won’t. Que será será and all that. But whatever. If Kiovenn isn’t going to be blatant, then I’m not going to bother them or try to figure it out.

Okay.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 06, 2018, 11:44:39 am »

I didn't mean literally steal, I'll ask if they're okay with it of course (if deleting it wasn't a mistake).  I've found an account that I can send messages to.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 06, 2018, 12:22:07 pm »

Ah, okay. Apologies, I am awful at figurative language most of the time.

Edit: I may not be on BoundWorlds much for the next twoish weeks. I have gotten far more busy than expected with this set of college classes, and until I get more in order for that, I’m not going to have time for much else. Sorry. Bright side is that I don’t think the dungeon will take too much longer when I can get back to it, based on what’s done of it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:38:54 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 07, 2018, 08:04:47 am »

Eh, don't worry about it.  I've been rather busy myself.

Trying to write a plot is hard.  I've basically got this whole set of notes on particular scenes I want to happen but not much to tie them together in a logical way.  I guess I can always start with the big twists first and fill them in later...

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:53 am »

Okay. Thanks.

Yeah, plots can be tricky. I had to come up with one recently for my creative writing class, and that took me a while. Plus, it turns out I can usually only think of plots in the middle of the night. Not sure why.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 07, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »

Eh, don't worry about it.  I've been rather busy myself.

Trying to write a plot is hard.  I've basically got this whole set of notes on particular scenes I want to happen but not much to tie them together in a logical way.  I guess I can always start with the big twists first and fill them in later...

Research the 3-Act Structure and Dan Harmon's Story Circle. It's very difficult to write anything cohesive without a plan, so my advice is to use the aforementioned structures to outline the plot.

Also do some research on world building, consider the history of your universe/multiverse, make a map, etc. etc.

Finally, since Boundworlds has the potential to be so vast and nebulous, consider the major players in the story. What are their character spines--the thing that drives them? And how have their inevitably clashing wants and needs created this situation that the players find themselves in?

It might be best to keep the actual plot simple and save all those ideas for scenes and lore to insert into the game later for the players to find (Which is what Hollow Knight does)

@Kamani, if you want to come up with a draft of a plot really quickly, write down a bunch of things, characters, and actions you want to include in your story on notecards and lay them out, start rearranging them and you will find the story being outlined in front of your eyes.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 07, 2018, 07:40:34 pm »

My problem with plots is actually coming up with what I want to write about. I can’t think of ideas or characters or actions at all. Once I have an idea, it comes together pretty well, but ideas aren’t always easy to find for me.
I’ll remember that for if I do run into trouble with that though. Might come in handy.

Edit: My Sculptor golem boss has inexplicably lost all of the skills I gave them. This isn't a huge loss, since I needed to redo them anyway, but it is probably best that it is figured out why, if possible, so it can be prevented from occurring. Might be a bug, might be my own fault. Just noting this in case I run into a similar issue in the future.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:57:56 pm by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 90