Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 457

Author Topic: Everything: Gaiden v2: WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE  (Read 182306 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Everything: Gaiden v2: The shippi-natening
« Reply #6165 on: June 02, 2014, 05:31:19 am »

The soul that the kid in the armor was referring to is the vessel that the base qualities that make up a person is housed in. The mind is merely the interaction of memories and thought which happen to reside within the soul/brain. The soul typically goes to some sort of afterlife after death, but it is possible for soulless sentient beings to exist, but they are seen as lacking an undefined quality that makes them people, that being the soul. It's all rather soul centric.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: June 02, 2014, 05:35:48 am »

"Wouldn't you define a person as their mind rather than their soul? I mean, if it's an interaction of memories and thought and those two are the same even if the soul isn't wouldn't you be the same person? I'd consider someone their mind rather than some sort of nebulous vessel of debatable relevance that is behind it all. Still all in all, that certainly is an interesting philosophy and world you people have..."
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: June 02, 2014, 05:46:46 am »

But a mind can be rewritten, destroyed, rebuilt. I should know, I've done it many times. However, a soul, at least where I come from, has certain indelible marks put on it depending on what acts you perform during your existence. For instance, a few people I knew who became heroes of the highest order had souls of the brightest colours, their goodness shined through straight in your face, and you could see just by looking at it that the person this soul was was an inherently good person. Mine was somewhat different when I looked upon it. It's a tell of what kind of person they are. However, even if he doesn't have a soul and his original is still out there somewhere, once killed the original's soul will go to him, since his mind is a copy of the original's. A moot point anyhow, since that blood rune specifically keeps his soul from escaping.
Though I could be mixing up definition again.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: June 02, 2014, 06:06:31 am »

"You speak of goodness as if it were an absolute constant, of morality as if it were a static spectrum. Perhaps one may be driven to do what is good, but surely what is good is subjective, is it not? I find it hard to believe that someone would perform something they consider to be evil without justification, it's always for some acceptable cause no matter how twisted it may be...

These heroes, I care not for who they saved, but tell me, who did they forsake? Who did they ignore? Abandon? Kill? Such things are of great interest to me."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: June 02, 2014, 06:14:10 am »

Considering they were the champions of a multi-universal crusade to slay me, each ended up being granted that status of 'good' by the creators of their respective universes. Morality is, of course, irrelevant, but to their universes, they were good because it itself had proclaimed it so.

I don't quite know who exactly they ignored, abandoned, or anything to that account as I was too busy turning their armies to dust ... ah, those were the days. I imagine they did, but again, they had a literal morality licence.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: June 02, 2014, 06:19:30 am »

"That's quite a bit of heat. How did you manage to earn such ire?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: June 02, 2014, 06:25:13 am »

Mainly the fact that I'd grown about as powerful as three quarters of them combined on my own, not to mention the allies I had and my various auxiliary forces, and also because I was in a bit of an empire-building state and I had my eye on their territory. So they formed a force designed specifically to slay me, tailored a legion of heroes to my weaknesses, set upon me with everything they had.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: June 02, 2014, 06:27:45 am »

"Isn't it a bit counterintuitive setting up an entire army to kill one man when they possess their own army with presumably different strengths and weaknesses?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: June 02, 2014, 06:33:31 am »

That may be true, but strong as my army and my various allies were, I was stronger by leagues. If they broke me, they could easily clean up what had remained of my forces after the various people I was holding together with charisma and mind control went off on their own. And break me they did. Big climactic battle, broke a universe or three in the struggle, ended with the most noble of their number sacrificing themselves to stun me for a critical strike that I didn't see coming, got my soul torn out of my body and said body obliterated, along with a significant portion of power I'd invested into it - in retrospect, bad idea.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: June 02, 2014, 06:40:00 am »

"So basically, a pyrrhic victory for them but a defeat for you. Well, I suppose it's of little relevence to me for that matter. Though then again were it not for these strange circumstances, I'd likely have been an adversary to you, not that we would have ever met."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: June 02, 2014, 06:53:28 am »

Most everyone would have been. Now I'm broken and forced to spend a few eternities here.
Sig! Onol

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: June 02, 2014, 03:55:39 pm »

Tasrak listens with interest, while idly tracing the runes of his sword with a finger.

"I really should be taking notes..."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:46 pm »

Probably.
Sig! Onol

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:31 pm »

Most everyone would have been. Now I'm broken and forced to spend a few eternities here.
"Least you'll be fun at parties."

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: June 02, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »

Tasrak stares at his runeblade.

"A thing of great beauty is it not?"
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 457