Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I'm not saying the release will be soon.. but  (Read 8959 times)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm not saying the release will be soon.. but
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:05 am »

I'm sure we're very, very close now at this point. Like many have said 'less issues than normal' in Toady-speak probably means we won't have a two month pre-release bugfix. Could, though, reading the latest devlogs should give an idea of the silliness that occurs once Toady finally puts all the pieces together and lets the world actually run.

Are there any other devlogs other than the ones on the bay12 page?

There are occasional updates on the Bay12 twitter page.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 03:38:02 pm »

Looks like we'll be almost finished, maybe even finished by tomorrow. Today's devlog looks promising.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 03:56:21 pm »

Looks like we'll be almost finished, maybe even finished by tomorrow. Today's devlog looks promising.
It's more of the opposite, that Tarn and Zach are recovering from some kind of sickness.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 04:16:58 pm »

It's more of the opposite, that Tarn and Zach are recovering from some kind of sickness.

Norovirus, AFAIK, also known as the stomach flu (even though it's not related to the flu at all and the confusion has killed people and given anti-vaccers ammunition...)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »

Well he's in bugfixes so that's a good sign. I would guess that release will be this month, or very early next month.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2014, 04:44:25 pm »

Oh. Derp. :P

Well, this looks promising anyway. I think that the "early next month" predictions are a little off the mark, it's only Cinco de Felsite, after all.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »

I wish I could share your optimism tawarochir.  I have to assume that there will be more bugs than any other release, because there are more features than any other release.  As I said in another thread our only hope is that toady is faster at fixing bugs (or maybe better at not making them)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 09:38:42 pm »

I wish I could share your optimism tawarochir.  I have to assume that there will be more bugs than any other release, because there are more features than any other release.  As I said in another thread our only hope is that toady is faster at fixing bugs (or maybe better at not making them)

You have to consider the scope of the features. 0.31.01 had way more scope. This version has specific things you can test pretty easily. 0.31.01 overhauled:

* Creatures
* Materials
* Items
* Landscape/constructions

And added:

* Reactions
* Bodies
* Tissues

In other words, literally everything in the raws was changed entirely (outside of minor things like symbols), and thus everything the player ever interacts directly with (thus the bug potential was with... everything).

This version doesn't have nearly as much scope. 0.31.01 took 2 months to bugfix. This version doesn't touch the walls or ground (except in the case of climbing, but that's pretty specific, ain't it?), nor does it touch tissues nor materials nor creatures in as thorough a way nor items. It mainly touches:

* Combat (overhauled about as much as 0.31.01, actually, but in a more high-level way, easier to test for AFAIK)
* Plants/Trees (probably going to be the biggest source of headaches, those multi-tile trees)
* Stuff what didn't exist before (out-of-world processing)
* Cities (which Toady seems to have gotten to quite a bit before the bugfixing even started)

...All I can think of off the top of my head. Anyway, while this next version has more stuff, yes, the stuff isn't as deep-rooted and error-prone.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »

I certainly hope you're right but I feel that the sites and world gen processes would be VERY bug prone.
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 11:11:37 pm »

There were new sites with 0.34.01 as well.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »

Putnam, building people's hopes up since 2013.
Really though, this release is big, yes, but it doesn't fundamentally change the way the game works, at least from what I can tell.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2014, 12:02:19 am »

true but they were small, or modifications to existing sites (although I suppose that's ultimately true of the goblin and elf sites...)
also what about combat overhaul? That must be pretty buggy (as demonstrated in last devlog)
I SHALL RESIST OPTIMISM

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2014, 12:10:34 am »

true but they were small, or modifications to existing sites (although I suppose that's ultimately true of the goblin and elf sites...)

Uh... no they weren't? You play versions before 0.34.01? Your register count suggests maybe, but I won't assume. 0.34.01 completely and utterly changed human sites and added sewers, dungeons, tombs and towers. New human sites were the entire point of the update.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2014, 01:03:42 am »

I didn't know sewers and dungeons weren't there (I did play before 0.34 but only fortress mode)
I meant towers and tombs were small, compared to revamped elf and goblin and dwarf sites and mysterious demon sites...
My mistake

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2014, 01:11:32 am »

Also, cities in general weren't there. It was just a collection of buildings with no organization, no markets and certainly no farms.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5