Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 180781 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #465 on: August 24, 2014, 03:17:45 am »

((I would suspect that the generator+gloves setup wouldn't cost a single token anymore. A 4TPU generator alone costs 2, at least normally.

And I honestly don't see that much that you stand to gain by using that approach, besides theoretically being able to buy a different weapon that complies to the same system without extra expense (meaning, the same expense as you had made when you bought the system), as well as losing the ability to give your weapon to someone else if you're incapacitated. And the electro-punches, of course. At this rate you may as well repurpose the Red Hand into the generator system - it already has a more powerful generator (I never got an exact figure on that, but going from the cost it has at least 6TPU), and it is a melee and ranged weapon, as well as a replacement of at least two engineering tools, all by itself. Integrating a Power Griptm into the handpiece would be trivial.

You can just go ahead and dig the design up, I think Anton won't mind if you merge your project into it, as long as you notify him first.))

Anton Chernozorov

Make sure there are cargo containers available for the Merchant freighter's first run, as well as stasis chambers for the many RoboSods that will be making the trip on it, assuming they need them. Anything that isn't ready or available, give orders to prepare or manufacture.

"XO, this is Chernozorov. Spaceship construction facilities are being built, the FTL freighter is being refitted for its first run, and I think that's all of my assigned duties until either is done. I'll be requisitioning a science team for some high-energy weapons projects. If you need me, I'll be either in the research labs or in the VR Room."

Requisition a SCIENCE team. First project is short and simple.

Using the earlier experiment data, have the SCIENCE team work on miniaturizing a Free-Electron Laser into a portable weapon. Make two versions if possible, one man-portable (like a rifle), one Battlesuit-portable (like a Cutting or Mining laser). Work with the team to complete this in the shortest possible time.

Try to finish the project soon enough to pack a few prototypes into the first transport mission to the Sword.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #466 on: August 25, 2014, 11:11:22 am »

Bear with me here for a sec. This all looks fine, but I'm not sure I'm catching the point. You want to just have ARESTEVE design a bunch of alternative exoskeletons for later use? A library, as you said. Ok. But what alternative qualities should we be researching towards? Just like, alternations of which stats they boost or various "Half" stat boosts like the 1/3rd  and 2/3rd ones we already have? I understand the idea here, I'm just not sure what the results you're looking for are and I don't want to make you wait a month or something only to get something completely different and incorrect.

There are three big reasons for it:
-in-game: it is stated that the UWM, and us, uses ancient technology (dating to the altered wars) because that seemed to work up till now. This would be a way to have a 'general tech upgrade' that justifies us having better gear than we used to (e.g. an exoskeleton with bigger bonuses yet same token cost) without technology appearing from thin air.

-OOC: as I said, it is a handy way to justify in-game how we get to certain things. for example, let's say we agree on a new suit that gives A and B bonuses for X tokens. After working that out, we'd still need to somehow get that design in-game. Now, however, we can say "Oh look, the database has a design that fits just what we need, how convenient!". You could say it's a flavor thing (as in, you wouldn't have us wait for the design anyways once we worked it out), but I think it's a good excuse to avoid meta. So if it works, we won't have to wait for a design to complete after discussing things on a game mechanics level.

-I don't have the most time in RL right now, so I'm trying to set things up so that, once I do have time, I can focus on designing without having to wait for stuff to finish (e.g. "Wait a month for ARESTEVE to work this out").

Everything clear now? If yes, completion date?

Quote from: C. Leroux > General M. De Bergerac
Would your happen to have any footage of UWM misconduct? Especially the kind that involves indiscriminate firing into crowds of civilians? I am considering having a campaign aimed at UWM soldiers, as judging by the demographics, they probably aren't in it for the cause.

Message back:

Hmm. I might be able to help you, but I'm quite busy right now. Could you perhaps ask me again in [10 real life days]? Just send me a reminder.

It's evidently not apparent, but I haven't even been trying to trick Piecewise recently anyways.  If I were, I would never have clarified twice that robosods were ten times as fast to produce as flesh sods.  I wouldn't have asked him if my turns were too long either.  But when a group is specifically made to stop people from doing such, when nobody is even trying to, that feels like a challenge, and gives a wonderful faceless opponent to fight.  I'm saying that it's counter-productive; if Piecewise dislikes people doing something, he should ask them to stop.
And, as far as your last point, in general I agree with you.  But I don't really in this case, mostly because of how much PW likes to emphasize [TORTURE_FOR_FUN].
Well, it seems some other people don't see it that way, or else there wouldn't be an issue, now would there?

*sigh* I really get too into this.  What are you trying to accomplish?  I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before.))
Because I'm trying to get you to change a behavior that actively annoys both some of your fellow players and your gm. Remember pw is giving you all this entertainment for free, the least you can do is to try and not do anything that makes this more difficult than it has to be.
I can't tell you it will cost the same, but if you'd like a new take on the exoskeleton with the available data from your missions and such, I can certainly do that. Give it till...The 8th.

((I actually wrote this turn (not the end) in a dream.  Posted it too.  But then I woke up and realized that I actually hadn't.))

Turn:

1.Last turn, you said just sticking the Testament's generator in the Testament would make the gun cost more.  Just to make absolutely certain, you mean that it would cost five tokens, rather than four plus one to buy the suit, yes?

2.If so, I'd like to mess with the power suit.  Rather than be a full suit, change it to be just the pair of gloves, with cables running to the generator which attaches to the back.  It should be something to attach to an MK.Suit (or whatever the user wears), rather than a full suit.  Make sure the cables are attached to the arm with armbands or something- I don't want them to hang loose.

3.Does this still cost a single token?

---

4.Can we build KE rifles from crossroads?  They're the sniper rifles which fire 'bullets' made only from raw force.

((Aaand, @Radio.

First, I apologize.  Both to you and PW, although I'm not even sure if he reads these nowadays.  I got angry at your reply and lost control, and I dislike when that happens as much as anyone else.

I partially disagree with your last reply, but right now I just really want to end this argument, so I won't explain how.  I would like to say that I'm not actually really angry about the comittee itself- I find it vaugely annoying, but more amusing than inciting.  That's how the original comment was intended.  Amusing, not inciteful.))
I mean it would make the gun itself cost more, I've not been considering the cost of the suit really. But if all you're doing is taking the generator off the suit and sticking it in the gun, then the cost overall would stay the same, yes.

Hmmm. I dunno, seems a bit gamey to split costs around and use the fact that there is a minimum denomination to get by with free stuff.

I dunno. Maybe, but they'd be very uncheap.

Oh and someone pointed out that your testament was massively unbalanced in terms of ammo and they're right; I think a wire got crossed and sizes or amounts got mixed up because I was busy. 17280 shots out of  a 1/3rd propane sized tank don't make no sense. The propane sized tank was what I considered for a normal magazine. A really big magazine would be like an oil drum on your back.

((I would suspect that the generator+gloves setup wouldn't cost a single token anymore. A 4TPU generator alone costs 2, at least normally.

And I honestly don't see that much that you stand to gain by using that approach, besides theoretically being able to buy a different weapon that complies to the same system without extra expense (meaning, the same expense as you had made when you bought the system), as well as losing the ability to give your weapon to someone else if you're incapacitated. And the electro-punches, of course. At this rate you may as well repurpose the Red Hand into the generator system - it already has a more powerful generator (I never got an exact figure on that, but going from the cost it has at least 6TPU), and it is a melee and ranged weapon, as well as a replacement of at least two engineering tools, all by itself. Integrating a Power Griptm into the handpiece would be trivial.

You can just go ahead and dig the design up, I think Anton won't mind if you merge your project into it, as long as you notify him first.))

Anton Chernozorov

Make sure there are cargo containers available for the Merchant freighter's first run, as well as stasis chambers for the many RoboSods that will be making the trip on it, assuming they need them. Anything that isn't ready or available, give orders to prepare or manufacture.

"XO, this is Chernozorov. Spaceship construction facilities are being built, the FTL freighter is being refitted for its first run, and I think that's all of my assigned duties until either is done. I'll be requisitioning a science team for some high-energy weapons projects. If you need me, I'll be either in the research labs or in the VR Room."

Requisition a SCIENCE team. First project is short and simple.

Using the earlier experiment data, have the SCIENCE team work on miniaturizing a Free-Electron Laser into a portable weapon. Make two versions if possible, one man-portable (like a rifle), one Battlesuit-portable (like a Cutting or Mining laser). Work with the team to complete this in the shortest possible time.

Try to finish the project soon enough to pack a few prototypes into the first transport mission to the Sword.
Thats the "loop" laser right? Yeah. Alright.

We'll say that will be done in time to send them some, though It may not be perfected in that time.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:07 pm »

Instead of actually tinkering this turn, I suppose I'm clarifying.  Here's your last post, with the other people snipped out:

((I actually wrote this turn (not the end) in a dream.  Posted it too.  But then I woke up and realized that I actually hadn't.))

Turn:

1.Last turn, you said just sticking the Testament's generator in the Testament would make the gun cost more.  Just to make absolutely certain, you mean that it would cost five tokens, rather than four plus one to buy the suit, yes?

2.If so, I'd like to mess with the power suit.  Rather than be a full suit, change it to be just the pair of gloves, with cables running to the generator which attaches to the back.  It should be something to attach to an MK.Suit (or whatever the user wears), rather than a full suit.  Make sure the cables are attached to the arm with armbands or something- I don't want them to hang loose.

---

4.Can we build KE rifles from crossroads?  They're the sniper rifles which fire 'bullets' made only from raw force.

<Snipped conversation with Radio>
I mean it would make the gun itself cost more, I've not been considering the cost of the suit really. But if all you're doing is taking the generator off the suit and sticking it in the gun, then the cost overall would stay the same, yes.

Hmmm. I dunno, seems a bit gamey to split costs around and use the fact that there is a minimum denomination to get by with free stuff.

Oh and someone pointed out that your testament was massively unbalanced in terms of ammo and they're right; I think a wire got crossed and sizes or amounts got mixed up because I was busy. 17280 shots out of  a 1/3rd propane sized tank don't make no sense. The propane sized tank was what I considered for a normal magazine. A really big magazine would be like an oil drum on your back.

I'm gonna deal with this piece by piece.

Spoiler: Size of the magazine (click to show/hide)

So, after reading those, can you go through my actions again?  Last time you said 'I dunno' a lot, and for me that's kinda like my calculator saying pi equals 3.FuckIfIKnow.

Turn:

---

...God it's late.  I'm tired.  And I know this post probably has massive errors in judgment because of that.  And I'm too tired to know what they are. ._.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 25, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »

((So, can we assume that a message from Steve got sent here informing Simus about Xan's demise?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:35 am »

First, I apologize.  Both to you and PW, although I'm not even sure if he reads these nowadays.  I got angry at your reply and lost control, and I dislike when that happens as much as anyone else.
I partially disagree with your last reply, but right now I just really want to end this argument, so I won't explain how.  I would like to say that I'm not actually really angry about the comittee itself- I find it vaugely annoying, but more amusing than inciting.  That's how the original comment was intended.  Amusing, not inciteful.))

((Hey, it's alright, no harm done. The committee is meant to help pw, not attack you (for example, we discussed wether or not it'd be a good idea to let science crews research Nyartifacts.

Oh, and for the record, pie equals 3.delicious.))

I can't tell you it will cost the same, but if you'd like a new take on the exoskeleton with the available data from your missions and such, I can certainly do that. Give it till...The 8th.

Coolio. Now, can we do te same for the following things:
-generators
-fuel mixtures (mostly to get even higher energy densities)
-general computer hard- and software for suit systems

If yes, also completed by the 8th?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 26, 2014, 10:47:21 pm »

Anton, Saint. Both of you please visit my simulation for a moment? I've finished a suit to replace the MkI. Do you agree with this design, keeping in mind it is for basic use and no more?

Let the others take a look. If they're fine with it, have Aresteve begin mass production. As well, bring up the Gauss grenade launcher design I made and inquire about how much it would cost those on the Sword to purchase.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 27, 2014, 12:52:34 am »

Charles enters VR and spawns a detached though armored braincase with a sod brain inside it, modified to be attachable to robobodies. Run the following tests:
  • A normal robobody soldier versus an enemy squad.
  • A normal robobody soldier with a sod braincase that can override their body if needed versus an enemy squad.
  • A normal robobody soldier versus an enemy squad. A sod braincase is hidden behind cover, it can override their body using Saint's program if needed.
  • A normal robosod soldier versus an enemy squad.
  • A normal robobody versus an enemy squad. A sod braincase is hidden behind cover, it is overriding their body using Saint's program.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 27, 2014, 01:25:04 am »

Charles enters VR and spawns a detached though armored braincase with a sod brain inside it, modified to be attachable to robobodies. Run the following tests:
  • A normal robobody soldier with a sod braincase that can override their body if needed versus an enemy squad.
  • A normal robobody soldier versus an enemy squad. A sod braincase is hidden behind cover, it can override their body using Saint's program if needed.
  • A normal robobody versus an enemy squad. A sod braincase is hidden behind cover, it is overriding their body using Saint's program.

((I'm... not sure what you want to find out with this. A single robosod versus an enemy squad is still going to lose regardless of where its brain is. Also, 1/4 and 3/5 sound almost the same - you might want to clarify for PW what the exact difference in the setups is. 2/3 are practically the same as well, because I'm not sure what the practical difference is - is the braincase sitting out in the open in 2?))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 27, 2014, 01:28:41 am »

((Whether an armored sod brain could remotely operate the robobodies in a squad remotely. I know it will likely lose, but I wish to see whether there is any performance difference. 1 is a normal soldier, 4 is a sod. 3 is a soldier, 5 is an empty body. In 2, the soldier has the braincase attached to them.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 27, 2014, 02:51:50 am »

Quote from: MSanctor to Simus
No problem.
Just before the Defense of Hephaestus started, I was able to develop substance that, when injected, makes humans regenerate mild to moderate injuries - that is, in the field, without help of any other special equipment. Also, preliminary tinkering shows that it can possibly be integrated into the medical systems of Mk II with only minimal additions.
Specs attached to this e-mail. I really hope that it can be put to good use by ARM.
File attached: 'Aqua Mortis' Fleshknitter specifications
#MSanctor
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:10 am »

Saint pauses his work for a few minutes to join Simus' sim

"Hmm.  So that's what you meant by MCP.  Impressive, I have to say, but how does it respond to being shot in a vacuum?  Does it perform anywhere near as well as an MK.II?

Also, before we mass produce it, I'd think we should produce and test a few real, physical prototypes- just in case something in the real world isn't simulated by the VR."

Okay Simus' MCP suit, but request that we only produce prototypes for real-world testing for now.

((Nik, do you have a link for the actual specifications for that stuff?  Sounds great, but I don't relly remember what PW said about it.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #476 on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:54 pm »

Instead of actually tinkering this turn, I suppose I'm clarifying.  Here's your last post, with the other people snipped out:

Turn:

---

I'm gonna deal with this piece by piece.

Spoiler: Size of the magazine (click to show/hide)

So, after reading those, can you go through my actions again?  Last time you said 'I dunno' a lot, and for me that's kinda like my calculator saying pi equals 3.FuckIfIKnow.

Turn:

---

...God it's late.  I'm tired.  And I know this post probably has massive errors in judgment because of that.  And I'm too tired to know what they are. ._.

Sy I'm gonna be frank with you here. I've got one Concil member who thinks I should break your kneecaps and another who wants your head on a pike outside the tinker room, with a sign stapled to your forehead that reads "Such is the fate of all Munchkins"

Lets be honest: I'm not good at slowly balancing things over time via a long series of tests. Partially because I have no hard rules for lots of it. Pricing, for instance, is just kinda made up as we go along and I sometimes make things cheaper depending on their intended purpose. As such, I feel things have gotten out of hand; mostly because of the fact that I gave out numbers that seemed fine at the time and are now proving to be broken as shit.

So While I like the Testament, tis a fine gun, we're gonna have to balance it to actually work in game and not be horribly OP. Because if we let it get in as it is, I'm gonna have to ramp the difficulty up to compensate and keep things challenging, and then everyone is gonna start dying horribly and...oh it just won't be great for anyone involved.  So forget the data and stuff I told you earlier forget dat crap.

Me and the council, we're gonna take that gun of yours, look at it from a game-play perspective, and give it back to you at a price and power level that makes sense in game. We'll do the same with the suit since it is supposed to be a package deal.

I Know thats a cop out, but I've got walls of text from several people making points about how this is going to break the game, and then walls of text from you basically showing how it's my fault it ended up this way. So it's gotta stop here, and with me, since it's my fault to begin with.

((So, can we assume that a message from Steve got sent here informing Simus about Xan's demise?))
Yes. Someone Unfreeze Xan. Or at least work on it. He's been sitting out for a long time yet remaining active. Let him back in.

((Hey, it's alright, no harm done. The committee is meant to help pw, not attack you (for example, we discussed wether or not it'd be a good idea to let science crews research Nyartifacts.

Oh, and for the record, pie equals 3.delicious.))

Coolio. Now, can we do te same for the following things:
-generators
-fuel mixtures (mostly to get even higher energy densities)
-general computer hard- and software for suit systems

If yes, also completed by the 8th?

One thing at a time. I'm bad enough at balance without trying to balance 4 things and their interactions at the same time.

Anton, Saint. Both of you please visit my simulation for a moment? I've finished a suit to replace the MkI. Do you agree with this design, keeping in mind it is for basic use and no more?

Let the others take a look. If they're fine with it, have Aresteve begin mass production. As well, bring up the Gauss grenade launcher design I made and inquire about how much it would cost those on the Sword to purchase.
Someone objected to mass production so

As per your launcher, pretty fucking cheap. How much did it cost you to make?

I have no idea what you're testing here. The first one I thought I did, but the second one confused me and the third didn't help. What do you mean override their body? Is the brain case separate from the body? Is the body acting on its own? Help.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 27, 2014, 01:47:40 pm »

((Any chance the Council could take a look at Anton's designs as well, PW? I keep trying to undersell stuff I make in order to make it seem feasible, and I might be inadvertently self-censoring those designs into mediocrity. It would be neat to have someone else do the game-balancing. ^_^ All the different aspects of the FELs, especially. Microwaves, infrared, visible spectrum, UV, X-Ray - technically they each have their perks and quirks.))

Anton Chernozorov

I like the basic design of the suit, XO, but I'll have to concur with Saint. It's too early for mass production, considering this is what people will be relying on to keep them alive. We can probably make a small batch and send it out for field-testing with the first run of the freighter, though. If no terrible faults surface, I'd say it'll make a decent suit, fit for mass production.

I'd toss in a few ideas of my own, but they really require a whole new project, and I have to get back to R&D so we can ship some of my new weapon prototypes on the freighter as well.
"

Keep that work being done. Make sure to remember to make both the "rifle" and the "heavy" FEL prototypes.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 27, 2014, 03:24:58 pm »

((...Wow, I really want to talk to those people.  Like really really.  Not even argue, I honestly want to discuss this with them.

However, that seems unlikely- they seem to want to maintain their anonymity, aside from Radio.  But hey, I can try.))

PW, if the Committee is willing to talk with me, through you or otherwise, please just let them and ignore the tinker spoiler.  The conversation one is really more important to me, as it's intended to let me know what I should and shouldn't be aiming for with Tinker.

Spoiler: Tinker otherwise (click to show/hide)

EDIT:  Welp, it seems that Simus wants Saint to do brain surgery on Xan, so that takes priority over either of those  I guess.  Stay in my room, but send an auxiliary body to do brain surgery on Xan.

If this is the type of thing that I could fail and do a faulty install, spend this turn charging a dynamic bonus by examining how his brain is built and works.

Edit2: And just to be safe, have a pair of robosods possess the other two auxiliary bodies, and follow along as bodyguards.  Remember, all of my aux bodies have a flamethrower and MK.III.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 27, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »

((Not a lot of time and on phone, so I'll have to be short:

Firstly, at Sean: Could you put all the stuff related to the project you want reviewed into one post, to make it easier on the people doig this? Just links to the posts where PW confirms stuff about it. Thank you.

@syv: first, I'd like you to do a thing: tell me exactly what kind of weapon you are aiming for. What, in your mind, should be its strengths and weaknesses? I see it right now as a fast-firing suppression weapon that has slighly lower damage that a weapon of comparable cost, but makes up for it with withering firing speed and big ammo reserve. Is this what you had in mind?

Second, please tell me how you came tot the testament's current firing rate, with links to appropriate post from pw as well as any assumptions or extrapolations you made.

First, I have a simple question: What is the purpose of tinkering and designing weapons/armor/gadgets?
Let me answer like this: yes, you can make things that are better and more powerful than what we have now trough careful tinkering. But said item should be balanced so as not to have it break the game completely (e.g. By making half the other armory stuff useless). Basically, the item's steong points need to be ofset by it's weak points to a certain degree.

Second, I have a different question:  The Testament is unbalanced, yes?  I don't need an explanation why, but I do want an example of another weapon, designed in tinker by a player, that is balanced- and a reason that someone would buy it over what is currently in the armory.

Dunno, the goop thrower maybe? Because it fills a niche that wasn't really filled before? It has multiple drawbacks (not a lot of ammo per tank, short range, not usable against things with any real strength) to make up it's plus sides (cheap, reliably nonlethal).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:47:23 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 84