Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode  (Read 77723 times)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2014, 04:33:40 am »

I managed to get time to stop...and it really screws up stuff...4 of my 7 gnomes wouldn't move at all, they just stood in the same spot they were when time stopped until they died.

Glad to see it's being rewritten. Breaking your gnomes in one direction, and having very minimal effect in the other direction seems like a let down for the peak of technology.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2014, 04:46:23 am »

Next on my list of gnomish contraptions to try...the Thunder Coil.

As a side note, I've thought it would be cool if all machines had like an "overloaded" state if they had too much power pumped through them that caused various effects.

And, being able to "add onto" machines with higher end gears that also give them special effects. Faster, more efficient, higher quality, and whatnot.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2014, 04:52:56 am »

I managed to get time to stop...and it really screws up stuff...4 of my 7 gnomes wouldn't move at all, they just stood in the same spot they were when time stopped until they died.

Glad to see it's being rewritten. Breaking your gnomes in one direction, and having very minimal effect in the other direction seems like a let down for the peak of technology.

Actually, I considered that to be an acceptable effect, if an unintended one.  They won't begin idle jobs when time is stopped, meaning no eating, drinking, or sleeping, thus effectively limiting the amount of time you can spend frozen.  They should start moving again when the machine is turned off though.  Are you saying they didn't?

The thunder coil still doesn't work 100% (it is supposed to have a much larger range) but I've fixed it for the next update.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2014, 04:58:42 am »

I really want more weaponization options.

Most of the standard machines are just kind of the same thing and have the same issues as far as weaponization go.

Maybe I should try a magma mist generator. Magma mist has always been fun.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2014, 04:59:53 am »

The mist generator works with magma underneath.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2014, 05:01:51 am »

I also tried the cart loader beside a cart on a track stop that instantly dumped into a pit, didn't seem to work, though. Plus I'm guessing it would be destroyed by a building destroyer.

Force based machines would be cool. Succubus mod has a couple LUA scripts that cause a "force" on random enemies, would be cool to have a machine that pushes creatures away from it or something.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2014, 05:05:59 am »

Then again, straight utility machines are also super cool.

The seismograph is awesome.

The drilling rig is awesome, I just wish it could function more of a mining tool, depositing the mined stone into an output or whatever, and having the option of increasing the radius (1x1, 3x3, 5x5, depending on power).

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2014, 09:15:21 am »

Question: Do the speed boots also boost attack speed?
And if so, can i put them on a wrestler and make a Gnome version of Kensiro?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2014, 09:22:59 am »

Until the next DF udpate, everything speed related affect both attack and movement speed.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2014, 09:40:15 am »

I also tried the cart loader beside a cart on a track stop that instantly dumped into a pit, didn't seem to work, though. Plus I'm guessing it would be destroyed by a building destroyer.

The cart loader could be a lot better, I'll admit.  It's all right for items, but for creatures you have to have the creature standing on the loader and a moving cart in the adjacent space at the exact moment of the loader's active frame, making it very difficult to load hostile creatures into a cart (I did it once, though, and used it to create a mobile target to train archers).

The only alternative I can think of is to continuously KO a creature standing on the cart loader if a cart is not nearby, trapping them there until the power is shut off or a cart moves into position at the right moment.  This will also affect friendly creatures, of course.  Though I suppose it could work as a new kind of trap as well - a mechanical arm that grapples a target until you send soldiers to deal with them.

The drilling rig is awesome, I just wish it could function more of a mining tool, depositing the mined stone into an output or whatever, and having the option of increasing the radius (1x1, 3x3, 5x5, depending on power).

Strangely, determining the material composition of an unmined tile using lua is seemingly impossible.  You'd think it would be one of the basic things, but it...isn't.  :/

They do increase attack speed, but they also greatly lower all of their combat skills to the point where they will actually be less effective in combat overall.  Fighting while wearing roller skates is hard :P

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2014, 11:00:15 am »

How do I get a miner to wear say rocket boots if you cant use the military because of the uniform problems as they would then stop mining?
Also do the same effects stack? 4 rocket boots 4 times the power?

Booman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2014, 01:35:22 pm »

What kind of stockpile do all of the little bits that come out of the tinker and gadgeteer's workshops use?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2014, 02:57:37 pm »

Finished Goods - Tools.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2014, 06:22:35 am »

Guess I'll post it here then...

The machina.lua script could use some optimization for performance. The onBuildingCreate causes major lag when you build a lot of buildings at once. For example, building a floor across a large area.

My suggestion would be that every time the function is ran, it sets a variable that prevents it from running again, then have another repeating timeout every few ticks that resets the variable.

Basically...

Code: [Select]
local timeout = false

eventful.onBuildingCreatedDestroyed.machina=function(building_id)
if timeout == false then
updateMachinaList()
timeout = true
end
end

function resetTimeout
timeout = false
dfhack.timeout(10,"ticks",function() resetTimeout() end)
end

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »

Guess I'll post it here then...

The machina.lua script could use some optimization for performance. The onBuildingCreate causes major lag when you build a lot of buildings at once. For example, building a floor across a large area.

My suggestion would be that every time the function is ran, it sets a variable that prevents it from running again, then have another repeating timeout every few ticks that resets the variable.

Basically...

Code: [Select]
local timeout = false

eventful.onBuildingCreatedDestroyed.machina=function(building_id)
if timeout == false then
updateMachinaList()
timeout = true
end
end

function resetTimeout
timeout = false
dfhack.timeout(10,"ticks",function() resetTimeout() end)
end

Not that way... there's a reason for doing it that way.
Constructions shouldn't make a difference to the machinery though, so I guess it can check if the new building is a construction to prevent that problem.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29