Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode  (Read 77732 times)

Corundum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:03 am »

Errors for ver. 5.05 (Please ignore if fixed)

Autotailor won’t use yarn cloth

Apothecary’s study uses bones for the train bonesetting reaction (supposed to use totems)

Mechanical iron horses leave behind mechanical shark frames when dismantled

When my steel mechanical dragons die, they turn into iron corpses that cant be auto-dismantled and are put into the corpse stockpile and buried like a pet. (I try to just melt them in the arc furnace if I catch it in time) Might be intentional.

my queen is a sky giant deity, and that rocks.  :P

Not sure if it's a bug, but the arc furnace produces different types of metal bars. For example, the build vertical bars has two different listings for iron. Doesn't seem to affect anything though.

When a wounded animal is treated at the Animal Care, it removes all its armor.

I set a dump zone onto a factory input to dump iron bars. When the gnomes dumped them, it fell down a hole diagonal to the dump zone.

That said, I really love the gnomes. I just set up a cart loading system to auto-load all the products from the factories and dump them for pick-up. Kills my frame rate having the gates and pressure plates activating and deactivating constantly but it's soooooo freaking awesome I'll allow it. I need to post a picture and description on reddit or here for the set-up. In the next fort; auto-sorting. :)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »

Errors for ver. 5.05 (Please ignore if fixed)

Autotailor won’t use yarn cloth

Apothecary’s study uses bones for the train bonesetting reaction (supposed to use totems)

Mechanical iron horses leave behind mechanical shark frames when dismantled

When my steel mechanical dragons die, they turn into iron corpses that cant be auto-dismantled and are put into the corpse stockpile and buried like a pet. (I try to just melt them in the arc furnace if I catch it in time) Might be intentional.

my queen is a sky giant deity, and that rocks.  :P

Not sure if it's a bug, but the arc furnace produces different types of metal bars. For example, the build vertical bars has two different listings for iron. Doesn't seem to affect anything though.

When a wounded animal is treated at the Animal Care, it removes all its armor.

I set a dump zone onto a factory input to dump iron bars. When the gnomes dumped them, it fell down a hole diagonal to the dump zone.

That said, I really love the gnomes. I just set up a cart loading system to auto-load all the products from the factories and dump them for pick-up. Kills my frame rate having the gates and pressure plates activating and deactivating constantly but it's soooooo freaking awesome I'll allow it. I need to post a picture and description on reddit or here for the set-up. In the next fort; auto-sorting. :)

The horse-to-shark bit is an error in the raws, the reaction REPAIR_HORSE_GNOME.

Don't know what's up with the dragon... that isn't intentional.  Maybe something caused the construct-creature script to crash...

Removing armor when treating an animal is intentional.

The dump zone bit is annoying, but that's just how dump zones work.  You have to make sure that the only pit adjacent to the dump site is the right one.

I'll check out the yarn cloth bit.  I wanted to add a bit to the autotailor anyway, for strand extraction purposes.

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2014, 03:16:53 am »

Not sure if this is a dfhack issue or Masterwork DF issue, just a few hours ago my gnome fortress had a sheer drop in FPS, from steady 150 down to 30 or so. I tried using fix/item-occupancy, and it listed a hell long list of items of "invalid pos", and told me that the problem was so severe that it could not fix it. As I know some of DF's memory layout, I then made a small application to peek into the memory, and found that in the block where my auto woodcutter was (namely block at 32, 96, 53), there were thousands of items that should be at z-level 54. I thought that could be these item were being transferred by the drilling rig upstairs so I let one gnome pull the lever and stopped the woodcutter and the drilling rig. but after some time, those items were still in z-level 53. I suspect this let the game code break and thus kill the FPS.
As the test went further, I found that when the save was first loaded there were no item misplacements but as every tick went a new item had become misplaced. After removing all reagents and output from the woodcutter there were no further increase of misplaced items. So I suspect that it could be the drilling rig sucks the output to the level above but failed to remove references in the level below.
I uploaded the save if anyone wants it:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8726
The woodcutter is running in the save, load the save and run the game for a while, then you should notice the FPS drop.
The save was created in Masterwork 5.05, but after updating to 5.10, the problem remains.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:26:28 am by Qrox »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #228 on: July 03, 2014, 03:37:39 am »

Hey IndigoFenix, I just saw a post by Warmist:
there is "poweredOnly" flag e.g.:
addBuilding("don't remember what can be powered...",{1,1,1},{1.3,1.3,0.3},4,{"poweredOnly"})
Other could be added (not sure about pressure plates though...)

Powered lamps/lightbulbs that start to emit light with Rendermax? :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 03, 2014, 05:25:11 am »

Hey IndigoFenix, I just saw a post by Warmist:
there is "poweredOnly" flag e.g.:
addBuilding("don't remember what can be powered...",{1,1,1},{1.3,1.3,0.3},4,{"poweredOnly"})
Other could be added (not sure about pressure plates though...)

Powered lamps/lightbulbs that start to emit light with Rendermax? :)

I remember the flicker setting too I never tried. I need to try if that work with cold magma forges.

Corundum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 03, 2014, 09:55:41 pm »

In the latest version the arc furnace isn't working correctly. I have to input the machina command into df hack to get it to turn on then re-input to turn it back off again.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »

Hi, any ideas on how to get bones without pissing off mother nature? I needed them for a mood so I bought a tiny little meaningless Asp from metchants, butchered it and now nature hates my guts :D So to avoud this embarassing situation in the future - anyone knows a way to get bones peacefully? :)

EDIT: ok, very weird thing just happened. After the episode above I was at -48381 nature rating. I released a couple of animals into the wild, that got me up to -44641. Then a wild Dingo roamed to my settlement. My Colossus Elephant kicked him in the head and killed him. Fearfully. I went to see how much damage this added to my Nature Rating... and for some reason I am at +5069 :D so either tame animals killing wild animals is great entertainment to Mother Nature or something went horribly wrong (maybe the datatype storing the Nature Rating value was not big enough and "circled" from the lowest value to the highest?)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:11:51 pm by windalu »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2014, 04:49:29 pm »

Hi, any ideas on how to get bones without pissing off mother nature? I needed them for a mood so I bought a tiny little meaningless Asp from metchants, butchered it and now nature hates my guts :D So to avoud this embarassing situation in the future - anyone knows a way to get bones peacefully? :)

EDIT: ok, very weird thing just happened. After the episode above I was at -48381 nature rating. I released a couple of animals into the wild, that got me up to -44641. Then a wild Dingo roamed to my settlement. My Colossus Elephant kicked him in the head and killed him. Fearfully. I went to see how much damage this added to my Nature Rating... and for some reason I am at +5069 :D so either tame animals killing wild animals is great entertainment to Mother Nature or something went horribly wrong (maybe the datatype storing the Nature Rating value was not big enough and "circled" from the lowest value to the highest?)

Slaughtering animals, even low-value ones, is extremely bad for your score (about 50-250 times worse than killing a wild animal of the same species).  The reason your merit went back up is probably because a year passed - deaths of pets that occurred a year before are not counted against you.  But at any rate, if you need bones you can hunt without a huge problem.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2014, 05:01:19 pm »

Slaughtering animals, even low-value ones, is extremely bad for your score (about 50-250 times worse than killing a wild animal of the same species).  The reason your merit went back up is probably because a year passed - deaths of pets that occurred a year before are not counted against you.  But at any rate, if you need bones you can hunt without a huge problem.

it was not the passing of a year, everything happened in the first year just after the 1st caravan (late autumn/early winter). Also now that the year has actualy passed (I am in early spring the next year), my Nature Rating is -38926. No animals have been harmed in any way since the events above (some have been born and I healed the elephant - he had a bit bruised leg after kicking a frost giant to death :D. Other than that, no animal action or anything). Must be something wrong with the way Nature Merit is calculated (or stored in memory).

EDIT: about 14 ingame days later, I released 2 ocelotes into the wild. Now my Nature Rating is -100526.

EDIT2: another ingame month later, after releasing cca 8 animals into the wild, im at +25049. I feel like Im playing a lotery :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:44:31 pm by windalu »

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »

on a different matter - how does the "release animal into the wild" choose which animal to release? I have a nature shrine, on it I pastured the animals I want to release, queued the release tasks in the shrine... and the first job sent into the wild my precious colossus elephant that was pastured about 8 tiles away from the shrine :(

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2014, 06:20:48 am »

a couple of things I noticed today...

is there a stockpile for plastic? I cannot find one and it makes my plastic fortress slow to build :D

shadowleaf bush leaves (madi in farmers workshop - process plants to bag) cannot be cooked. Is there any use for them?

I cannot farm trees (tree acorns). Steeloak farms work fine. Embark is in temperate zone, my last fort in temperate had no problems with tree farms so I'm not sure whats wrong in this embark :D

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 08, 2014, 10:36:16 am »

It seems that in the latest version (5.10) accidentally dropping a bucket of lye into the arc furnace will cause the game to crash, and in my case the save nearly became unusable because I saved right after the bucket was sucked into the furnace (without knowing it). I had to use some hack to stop the arc furnace. Surely liquids in a furnace may destroy the furnace, but definitely not the save :)
Also, when using the natural shrine to release animals into the wild, the animals will be released, but not cleared from their pastures, and this will cause other gnomes try to drag the animals back to their pastures. If they were cleared from the pasture by the player after the pasturing job was queued, the gnomes will try to find a cage to put the creatures in. If you don't have a cage on hand, there will be massive spams of "Gnome cancel handling large creature: no empty cage" message, and the gnomes will just stand still with the creatures doing nothing.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 08, 2014, 01:33:17 pm »

Also, when using the natural shrine to release animals into the wild, the animals will be released, but not cleared from their pastures, and this will cause other gnomes try to drag the animals back to their pastures. If they were cleared from the pasture by the player after the pasturing job was queued, the gnomes will try to find a cage to put the creatures in. If you don't have a cage on hand, there will be massive spams of "Gnome cancel handling large creature: no empty cage" message, and the gnomes will just stand still with the creatures doing nothing.

I had about 50 empty cages, released about 30 animals and 2 of those ended up in a cage. The rest just left the map normally (after I removed them from their pasture). So I guess it is caused by some specific condition.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 08, 2014, 11:53:56 pm »

To figure out the nature merit problem, check the dfhack console immediately after checking your merit.  It will print out a line-by-line analysis of all animals and their impact on your score.

The release animal command will generally release the last animal acquired within range, which extends a while out from the shrine itself.  This is mostly to help with the pasturing bug, so you can release animals away from any gnome.

The pasturing bug occurs if you remove an animal from the pasture while a gnome is already dragging it.  Typically, I find it easiest to just release them right near the map's edge.  They should get away before anyone manages to drag them back.  I haven't figured out how to remove them from a pasture through the code.

Plastic is inorganic, but I think it should be stored in a regular wood stockpile.  For all intents and purposes, plastic works like wood.

Gnomes have no use for several special plants, although they should be able to farm trees like everyone.  There is no difference between them and anyone else with regard to tree planting.

I'll fix the lye issue.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2014, 04:03:12 am »

Plastic is inorganic, but I think it should be stored in a regular wood stockpile.  For all intents and purposes, plastic works like wood.

plastic is listed as Wood in the Stocks view, however it is not stockpiled. I checked all stockpile categories and it is not there (not as a raw wood or anything and neither as a material for products) :)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29