Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 82349 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:02 pm »

Could be due to a mix of evil and savagery. They won't spawn in regions with biomes too savage and/or evil for them (hell goblins seem to stick to sinister, the least horrific of evil biomes,) so it could be the tundras and taigas just happen to be coming up as too hostile for nonplayer settlement.

ferals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2014, 05:03:37 pm »

But isnt it weird that on almost the same settings it generates world without any problems? I've changed settings to those i've had earlier, but on clear installation, and still no problems there (except for fortress defense races, but thats the least of my concerns). Maybe it was something related to that i was generating few worlds earlier on (for warlocks and succubi)? I know it might sound funny, but its all i can think about now.
#edit
Now the settings are EXACTLY the same as earlier, second world generated without any problems. I have really no idea wth happened there earlier on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:09:22 pm by ferals »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2014, 06:21:02 pm »

Glad to hear it, good luck in your fort  :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:30 pm »

But isnt it weird that on almost the same settings it generates world without any problems? I've changed settings to those i've had earlier, but on clear installation, and still no problems there (except for fortress defense races, but thats the least of my concerns). Maybe it was something related to that i was generating few worlds earlier on (for warlocks and succubi)? I know it might sound funny, but its all i can think about now.
#edit
Now the settings are EXACTLY the same as earlier, second world generated without any problems. I have really no idea wth happened there earlier on.

Blind luck. The biomes were just too hostile for orcs to survive/spawn by the sound of it.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2014, 03:56:12 am »

The orcs are, by far, my favourite civilisation (not counting my WIP wasp one)

Reasons: They. Are. Pure. Fucking. Badass
plus i believe that the Masterwork adamantine dai-katanas my artisians are constantly churning out are the best weapon ever. literally they have sliced entire dragons in half before. as well as obliterating every single dwarf "Siege" they send. and elfys, What in the name of the circus are elfys?

My troops usually follow the same layout every single time.
weak-ish uruks: i give them an aforementioned blade
strong-ish uruks: a lead mace never did anyone any good
ologs: i ALWAYS set these guys up as the leader of a squad. weak ones are given a blade and the mightiest one is given the artifact silver maul encrusted with oval lead cubochons and menacing with spikes of bloodsteel.
snagas: i just give them bows and quivers if i deem they are good enough.

so far the only deaths i've had were dodging.

More to the point, the largest reason i like orcs so much is their culture.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2014, 05:25:11 am »

Dude, upgrade your Ologs to deep bronze warhammers/wolfram morningstars. Trust me it's worth it.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2014, 07:34:13 am »

Dude, upgrade your Ologs to deep bronze warhammers/wolfram morningstars. Trust me it's worth it.
I'm actually hoping to get an artifact welded wolfram polehammer. It has happenned before.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2014, 07:59:05 am »

Heh, by the time I get adamantine or even a couple of usable weapon artifacts my Olog Mountainslayers are kitted in deep bronze plate and warhammers, the Uruk clan champions are ripping it up with orichalcum armour/daikatanas and the Snaga Headhunters are knocking them down with greatbows and singing arrows.

Hell, by the mid/late-game of Orc mode I've pretty much forgotten that adamantine even exists; the goodies I can get from the raids take up all of my attention along with actually finding jobs for all the orcs I have. Otherwise they just start making friends and setting up for the tantrum spiral that the inevitable syndrome FB/titan causes. By year five/six it's pretty much normal for me to have multiple orcs who are friends with everyone else in the fort because they're part of my butchery/tannery group that has to exist to deal with cleaning up on sieges/collecting dreamwalk talismans and scalps yet sit around until a siege actually happens because they have no skills in anything else.

EDIT: Am I the only guy who hates child Artisans? The little bastards like to intercept my high-end weapon/armour making jobs (orichalcum/mithril/deep bronze gear) from the orcs I have set aside to do that stuff. I mean, why the hell is the kid who's a 'competent' in weaponcrafting taking a job over the guy who's legendary? I can't even set the workshop profile to take certain skill levels because so many of the high-end workshops have low-end jobs like refining metal/crushing stuff into powder and so my forge serf's need access and they're practically skill-less.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:03:06 am by Gamerlord »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2014, 03:24:07 pm »

Can't you just restrict the workshop to the legendary crafters and the forge serfs manually? If you have more then one workshop of this type, you could also set one for legendary crafters making the final product and one for forge serfs grinding mithral.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2014, 09:18:46 pm »

playing orc fort in a good biome and

A cloud of beer vapor has drifted nearby!

Is this good? because the wiki has nothing on it

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »

I had an embark with clouds of "milk and honey", and it did absolutely nothing to my population.

My guess is that good biomes' weather is harmless at worse, and benefic at best (healing rain).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »

I had an embark with clouds of "milk and honey", and it did absolutely nothing to my population.

My guess is that good biomes' weather is harmless at worse, and benefic at best (healing rain).

If I'm not mistaken milk and honey rain removes either hunger or thirst temporarily, while simultaneously freaking the dwarf/orc/whatever out.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »

no freaking out, no good or bad thoughts, but I don't know about hunger/thirst.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2014, 09:49:11 pm »

no freaking out, no good or bad thoughts, but I don't know about hunger/thirst.

That's odd. Anyone caught in it should be complaining of freakish weather; basically anything not regular old rain falls under this and upsets player creatures ("Has been caught in freakish weather lately.") if I'm not mistaken. I once had an orc flip shit and punch people over being caught in milk and honey rain multiple times.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2014, 10:07:16 pm »

It was a cloud, not a rain, so maybe that's the difference?

I know some clouds can blind (or worse), so I first avoided them, then I sent a test subject.
After a few tests with a few subjects, I concluded that it was just making an annoying windy sound in soundsense and made it hard to see (for me), but didn't affect the fort at all.

The race was the humans though, so maybe it might have something to do with it, somehow?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46